Reload this Page >

pre-paid credit card

Wikiposts

pre-paid credit card

Old May 4th 2010, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough
Default pre-paid credit card

Hi. I am looking to getting my credit setup for the first time. Looking for recommendations on how to get this done. Would you'll be able to recommend a good bank or alternative financial institution where I can get one of those pre-paid style credit cards.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4th 2010, 3:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pre-paid credit card

Originally Posted by alzo
Hi. I am looking to getting my credit setup for the first time. Looking for recommendations on how to get this done. Would you'll be able to recommend a good bank or alternative financial institution where I can get one of those pre-paid style credit cards.

Thanks in advance.
Just get a normal credit card

Easy Peasy Japaneese.
Old May 4th 2010, 3:36 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

you mean debit card?
Old May 4th 2010, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

i am looking for similar cards to the one that the article mentions. Hope this helps.

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=106689
Old May 4th 2010, 8:48 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I believe ANZ do them (http://www.prepaidshop.com.au/) but they tend to come with lots of fees. I'd take a look at a visa debit card.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:22 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I know that in the US people occasionally use secured credit cards to help build their credit - I assume that's what you mean by getting credit set up: http://credit.about.com/od/usingcred...ecuredcard.htm

But I don't think prepaid cards in Oz work in the same way esp if they're not even associated with your normal cheque/savings account. They look like gift cards more than anything else - if that is the case, then I don't see the advantage compared to the debit card on your normal account. Have you been into talk to your bank? If there's a way to sell you a credit card, I doubt they'll hesitate.
Old May 4th 2010, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

i am looking for similar cards to the one that the article mentions. Hope this helps.

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=106689
I just can't see the point of pre-paid visa/mastercard in Australia when you can get a visa/mastercard debit card from your bank which would be much more cost effective and do the same thing.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes. That's what I meant. If a users credit is determined by a checking account with a debit card attached then that sounds good.

Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I know that in the US people occasionally use secured credit cards to help build their credit - I assume that's what you mean by getting credit set up: http://credit.about.com/od/usingcred...ecuredcard.htm

But I don't think prepaid cards in Oz work in the same way esp if they're not even associated with your normal cheque/savings account. They look like gift cards more than anything else - if that is the case, then I don't see the advantage compared to the debit card on your normal account. Have you been into talk to your bank? If there's a way to sell you a credit card, I doubt they'll hesitate.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Any recommendations on who to start with for a mobile phone? Prepaid plan?
Old May 4th 2010, 12:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Any recommendations on who to start with for a mobile phone? Prepaid plan?
Telstra have the best coverage but are the most expensive. 3, Optus, Vodafone are all okay. Virgin Mobile and Crazy Johns have good deals. If you have an unlocked mobile, bring it and buy a PAYG sim card for $2.