Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

For Potty Training Parents out there.....

For Potty Training Parents out there.....

Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:34 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default For Potty Training Parents out there.....

I have a 3.5 year old boy. I have been potty training him for almost 2 years now.

In the past 24 hours he has gone through 15 pairs of pants, 1 duvet, 1 sheet, 1 blanket. He has exhausted his and his sister's supply of pants - and is now walking around in mine (he looks like Ghandi)....

At least I can wash/dry them quite easily!

I have tried praising him/treating him/stickers/sweets/charts EVERYTHING!

My last stab is taking him to the Drs to make sure there is no medical problem, which I will do this week - but before I make the appt - any ideas?????

Mrs. Urno
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:36 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default Re: For Potty Training Parents out there.....

Forgot to mention - he's fine at night. Been dry for about a year.

It's just in the day he can't stop weeing!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:44 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno

get pads to go in pants try not to put a nappy on him but give yourself a break too

Drs is a good idea also demonstration on peeing in the toilet by dad is always helpful
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:53 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Yeah, he can go to the loo. Even wees standing up like his Daddy. He takes himself off to the loo himself some days, and he can be dry all day. If i ask him, he knows he shouldn't be wetting his pants. Mentally he's got it, but just physically he hasn't.

It's like he knows how to do it, what to do, but he just CAN"T BE BOTHERED!!!

My daughter got it in 1 week, although I do try not to compare!

I may try the pads, but knowing my son, he'll think they're great - that he doesn't have to bother walking to the toilet!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much. My friend's daughter wasn't dry at night until 9 but the doc wasn't worried. My mate was a bit ticked off though. So the doc may just say leave it a bit longer before getting concerned. Does he drink stacks?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:00 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, he can go to the loo. Even wees standing up like his Daddy. He takes himself off to the loo himself some days, and he can be dry all day. If i ask him, he knows he shouldn't be wetting his pants. Mentally he's got it, but just physically he hasn't.

It's like he knows how to do it, what to do, but he just CAN"T BE BOTHERED!!!

My daughter got it in 1 week, although I do try not to compare!

I may try the pads, but knowing my son, he'll think they're great - that he doesn't have to bother walking to the toilet!
I used them with my son who was dead lazy would sit for hours on a potty if you let him!!

in the end we bribed him with daddies pants dry boys wore daddy pants wet ones had to have baby pants with a pad!! this cuts down on the washing and if you don't make too big a fuss of it he will get it eventually. If he can be dry its unlikely theres anything wrong
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:10 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

I've been doing a bit of reading and think I shall try the "couldn't care less" approach now!

Maybe he KNOWS that it bugs me, and if I just ignore it, he'll get bored of being wet all the time and do something about it.

He can be dry, so there's nothing wrong with him.

I also have no option than to leave him butt-naked today as he has used up every last pair of pants in the house, and the weather isn't great for drying them today.

I refuse to let him walk around in my best underwear! We just had a tradesman in, and i had to explain why my son was wearing pink spotty, frilly pants!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt worry too much, and the Dr will only tell you that he will grow out of it. I know that it can start to get annoying but he will eventually get the idea. One of mine was a bit lazy to say the least when it came to using the potty/toilet instead of his underwear. I finally decided to make going to the loo a game. We drew a happy face and a silly face onto a ping-pong ball and put it in the loo, the fun part was to see if he could aim good enough to dunk the ping-pong ball and see which face it ended up on. I would then mark up the scores for happy face and silly face and when he reached 20 of either one we would go and buy a treat. My lad couldnt wait to get to the loo and see just how fast he could get his score count up. Dont worry the ping-pong ball stay's afloat when flushing.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

I have a 3.5 year old boy. I have been potty training him for almost 2 years now.

In the past 24 hours he has gone through 15 pairs of pants, 1 duvet, 1 sheet, 1 blanket. He has exhausted his and his sister's supply of pants - and is now walking around in mine (he looks like Ghandi)....

At least I can wash/dry them quite easily!

I have tried praising him/treating him/stickers/sweets/charts EVERYTHING!

My last stab is taking him to the Drs to make sure there is no medical problem, which I will do this week - but before I make the appt - any ideas?????

Mrs. Urno
Hi Mrs Urno,

I wouldn't worry about it too much......he will get it eventually.....one thought though...
When you say he's gone through about 15 pairs of pants do you change him and clean up after him immediately??? One trick I used to tell my clients was that when their child wets, to leave them in their clothes until they say....then get them to help you clean up and change themselves....It's a bit more difficult here because the weather is warm but when they start to feel cold and damp they don't normally like the sensation.....getting them to help clean up the mess and to take their own clothes off and put them in the laundry shows them that it's not really a game (obviously with some help) wash themselves and dry themselves to some extent then to go nd put on some clean clothes......this all detracts from the 'fun' things they were doing. Also don't tell him off!! sounds a bit strange but by reacting to what has happened gives him attention, and that is what he wants.....no reaction then no attention.....loads of attention when he gets it right though!!
Hope this helps a bit......
Pam x x

Last edited by pam0512; Nov 7th 2007 at 3:22 am. Reason: spelling!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:22 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

inspired. I'm off to Spotlight now to buy some ping-pong balls!

Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know how you get on. Its a from all my mates who tried it once I told them.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

God, you must be desperate
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:29 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

He REALLY doesn't care about being wet. That was our first tactic - just leave him in his wet clothes, but he would just leave them until they dried, and boy did he stink!

I was knelt down talking to him today and I looked down on my lap and he'd weed on me! No remorse!

No, I'm trying the ping-pong ball, and if that doesn't work - I'm giving up and his wife can potty train him when/if he gets married!

PS - what's wrong with Spotlight? I've only been here a few months, is there something I'm missing????? Is there a better place to buy ping-pong balls???!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I got all 3 of mine and said this is it, this is now where we wee, poo, always a potty cause they were under 2, and might have fell down a bog

BUT one thing was clear, no nappies, no special pants, no today were potty training tommorow we are not cause were going out, all that confuses them, just thats it, baby aids are gone, you have to be totally consistent. The eldest was in cloth nappies I even threw them out. With that method 3 days was all it ever took.

As your sons now so much older I would borrow another 3/4 year old for a few hours, get him to show how its done, you ones probably old enough to not want trainer pants etc in front of big boys

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 7th 2007 at 3:44 am.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

just remember and take it out b4 number 2's lol.

My son was a bugger for peeing his pants, and I was sure he did it for attention...so I just used to leave him with his wet pants and just ignore him, gave him mega praise when he made it to the loo, and ignored when he didnt. I hid all the clean pants so he couldnt help himself, 5 days later he was fed up with all the ignoring and decided he would rather have hugs instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.