Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Potentially really stupid questions: Holidaying back in the UK

Potentially really stupid questions: Holidaying back in the UK

Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:15 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Potentially really stupid questions: Holidaying back in the UK

So please don't judge - last time we went back to the UK we weren't Australian citizens and didn't possess a smartphone!
Off to the UK next week. We're Australian citizens, so obviously we need to leave/enter Australia on our Australian passports. Mr Dreamy's UK passport is still valid but mine has expired (I knew mine had expired, it was a conscious decision not to renew, but I thought his had expired too). If we take our UK passports, will I be able to enter the UK on it, or am I stuck with the 'Bloody foreigner' queue at Immigration? It doesn't have a biocheck microchip thingy in it either.

Also, last time we went, we just bought a cheap mobile to use while we were there (15GBP at Tesco, came with 10GBP of credit). This time, we both have smartphones which rule our life, so are just going the international roaming route and will mostly connect via relatives' wi-fi and "phone" the kids on messenger and discord. So here's the really stupid questions section:
1. I've looked at our mobile provider site, and I can pre-purchase data packs. I take it that any existing data I have on my plan is also available to be used in the UK? (Honestly, I can feel how stupid a question it is even as I type)
2. If we have to phone people in the UK while we're there, do we have to put the +44 in front? If they ring us, do they still have to put the +61 in front? Not that I'm planning any phonecalls one way or the other, it's more a 'just in case' situation. Similar to the data question, do I still get my call allowance from my current plan? Or are these plan specific questions that I'll need to take up with my provider?
3. Can you tell I'm really flapping now?
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potentially really stupid questions: Holidaying back in the UK

Originally Posted by Dreamy
So please don't judge - last time we went back to the UK we weren't Australian citizens and didn't possess a smartphone!
Off to the UK next week. We're Australian citizens, so obviously we need to leave/enter Australia on our Australian passports. Mr Dreamy's UK passport is still valid but mine has expired (I knew mine had expired, it was a conscious decision not to renew, but I thought his had expired too). If we take our UK passports, will I be able to enter the UK on it, or am I stuck with the 'Bloody foreigner' queue at Immigration? It doesn't have a biocheck microchip thingy in it either.

Also, last time we went, we just bought a cheap mobile to use while we were there (15GBP at Tesco, came with 10GBP of credit). This time, we both have smartphones which rule our life, so are just going the international roaming route and will mostly connect via relatives' wi-fi and "phone" the kids on messenger and discord. So here's the really stupid questions section:
1. I've looked at our mobile provider site, and I can pre-purchase data packs. I take it that any existing data I have on my plan is also available to be used in the UK? (Honestly, I can feel how stupid a question it is even as I type)
2. If we have to phone people in the UK while we're there, do we have to put the +44 in front? If they ring us, do they still have to put the +61 in front? Not that I'm planning any phonecalls one way or the other, it's more a 'just in case' situation. Similar to the data question, do I still get my call allowance from my current plan? Or are these plan specific questions that I'll need to take up with my provider?

My experience:
I used my Australian passport recently. Just went through the non-EU queue at Manchester, which was shorter anyway. For some bullshit reason , you can't use their smart gates - unlike they can here. You get a 6 month visa

Just get a sim card over there - there are a million options. I used EE but there are plenty of others. Don't overthink it

Have fun
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:38 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't overthink it
I'm WAY past that bit, lol. Thanks Amazulu!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 11:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm WAY past that bit, lol. Thanks Amazulu!
Wot Zulu said - The non-EU queue at Manchester airport is always much shorter, when I'm there anyway!

You're going to have the best time, after 'that' visit is over and done with
Old Jun 8th 2018, 12:04 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Wot Zulu said - The non-EU queue at Manchester airport is always much shorter, when I'm there anyway!

You're going to have the best time, after 'that' visit is over and done with
It'll be grand! Feels like so long since I've seen my dad, can't wait for a big hug.
Not that he does hugs, but he won't get any say in the matter!
Old Jun 8th 2018, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't bother with the international roaming pack. When I last checked it was +$5 a day. OK for a short trip but if you are there for 20 days that $100 minimum.

I take my old phone, get a UK SIM, then tether the Aussie phone off that. That way I can still use all the stuff I have set up on the Aussie phone and use data to your hearts content.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 1:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The queues will really depend on the airport you are arriving at. The non-EU line at Heathrow is usually 15-30 minutes longer than the EU line/e-Passport gates. Bring your expired passport and go in the EU line with your husband rather than wait if necessary.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

1. Get a SIM in the UK. Not sure how long you are going but a THREE sim with the £20 All-in-One pack would cover you for 30 days - https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go Don't forget, the data is useful for using GMaps for driving around, etc.
  2. If you use a UK phone, it obviously doesn't arise. In general putting the country code in front doesn't hurt anyway (I tend to add it to the contacts number). Some phones are smart enough to even work it out for themselves.
  3. Yes.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 7:25 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't bother with the international roaming pack. When I last checked it was +$5 a day. OK for a short trip but if you are there for 20 days that $100 minimum.

I take my old phone, get a UK SIM, then tether the Aussie phone off that. That way I can still use all the stuff I have set up on the Aussie phone and use data to your hearts content.
Originally Posted by BritInParis
The queues will really depend on the airport you are arriving at. The non-EU line at Heathrow is usually 15-30 minutes longer than the EU line/e-Passport gates. Bring your expired passport and go in the EU line with your husband rather than wait if necessary.
We're flying into Heathrow, so I'll chuck my UK passport in with the other docs and then we're covered either way

Originally Posted by GarryP
  1. Get a SIM in the UK. Not sure how long you are going but a THREE sim with the £20 All-in-One pack would cover you for 30 days - https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go Don't forget, the data is useful for using GMaps for driving around, etc.
  2. If you use a UK phone, it obviously doesn't arise. In general putting the country code in front doesn't hurt anyway (I tend to add it to the contacts number). Some phones are smart enough to even work it out for themselves.
  3. Yes.
Thank you all
Old Jun 8th 2018, 12:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We're flying into Heathrow, so I'll chuck my UK passport in with the other docs and then we're covered either way

Thank you all
If you are arriving on Thursday look out for a mad witch rying to park her broomstick
Have a great time!
Old Jun 8th 2018, 12:48 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you are arriving on Thursday look out for a mad witch rying to park her broomstick
Have a great time!
Both of you ought to remember, World Cup starts on 14th June. Take your flag of St George with you to blend in.

Don't bother about cheering for Australia, they won't be hanging around long .....
Old Jun 8th 2018, 3:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Both of you ought to remember, World Cup starts on 14th June. Take your flag of St George with you to blend in.

Don't bother about cheering for Australia, they won't be hanging around long .....
Well aware of it and would never dream of supporting Australia. Really looking forward to watching football at a sensible time in a good pub!
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:04 pm
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a great time!
Ha! I'll be the fat, tired bird looking hassled with the other half who will be incredibly well rested after 23 hours of sleep on the plane (I can't sleep on a plane, have absolutely no idea how he can manage it, think he's struck some kind of deal with the devil)

Some might say that the trip was well planned (not too well planned, think we're back before the final)