Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Port Kennedy - what's that noise?

Wikiposts

Port Kennedy - what's that noise?

Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Port Kennedy - what's that noise?

We live in Port Kennedy and for months now, we've been hearing a rhythmic, repetitive, squealing sort of noise every evening. Sounds like some machinery of some sort, but we can't track it down or find the source. :curse:

Anyone know what it is or where it comes from?

r8p
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:55 am
Who's the nanny?

nanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to allnanny2six is a name known to all
Default Re: Port Kennedy - what's that noise?

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
We live in Port Kennedy and for months now, we've been hearing a rhythmic, repetitive, squealing sort of noise every evening. Sounds like some machinery of some sort, but we can't track it down or find the source. :curse:

Anyone know what it is or where it comes from?

r8p
Have you seen any little green men around
Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Try these sites. They're for Perth but the last one is for SOR in particular, so you might get an answer. Am insterested myself now.....

www.pomsinperth.com/discussionboard/
www.perthpoms.freeforums.org/
www.emi-great.com/phpBB3/index.php
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:00 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I haven`t heard anything!! Whereabouts in PK are you?? We are up near WArnbro end, could be worth contacting the council??
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I knew we culd be some what noisy, but to hear us all the way from Rockingham to PortKennedy?

I'll get my hubby to look at the bed immediately....
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

I have lived in PK for about three years (three different parts but all south of Grand Ocean Blvd) and I know the noise you mean - it's not just the last couple of months. I normally hear it when I walk the dog in the evening.

When I first moved here I thought it was wind in the eaves of houses but it is too regular for that and seems independant of the wind level.

It seems to happen most nights but varies in intensity from barely audible through to quite loud. Some nights it's loud enough to be heard indoors.

Not much help I'm afraid, other than to confirm you are not hearing things - I wonder if anyone can shed any light on it?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure it's not crickets?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sure it's not crickets?
PK's a bit far from the WACA
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sure it's not crickets?
I've just been outside and it's doing it now. No, it isn't crickets although they are also out tonight. The noise is a very regular, long 'oooh' sound that rises in pitch then stops.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi peeps, I live in PK in San Sebastian Blvd (St Michele) and can't hear anything apart from crickets and my neighbours retic.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dtox
PK's a bit far from the WACA
Old May 8th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

And the answer is - FROGS:

Heleioporus eyrei

Family: Myobatrachidae

Common name: Moaning Frog

Description: This frog is brown on its back with some irregular white, yellow or grey marbling that extends to the sides of the body. The sides also have small white spots. The belly is white. The skin on the back is granular, while the belly is smooth. The tympanum is not always distinct. The toes have some slight webbing. This is the only species of Heleioporus where the males lack nuptial spines.

Size: Up to 60 mm

Habitat: This frog lives in sandy or peaty swamps and bogs.

Call: A long, slowly repeated moan. Males often synchronise their calls with all males calling together.

If you go to the following website there is a quicktime recording of the sound - it's surprising just how loud they are.

http://www.frogsaustralia.net.au/fro...cfm?frog_id=29
Old May 11th 2008, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Trekrider

Heleioporus eyrei

Description: This frog is brown on its back with some irregular white, yellow or grey marbling that extends to the sides of the body. The sides also have small white spots. The belly is white. The skin on the back is granular, while the belly is smooth. The tympanum is not always distinct. The toes have some slight webbing. This is the only species of Heleioporus where the males lack nuptial spines.

Call: A long, slowly repeated moan. Males often synchronise their calls with all males calling together.

If you go to the following website there is a quicktime recording of the sound - it's surprising just how loud they are.

Thanks, mate, it's good to know I'm not going mad. They were really going at it hammer and tongs a couple of nights ago - guess it's the mating season? Or they were having a very good party!

That website certainly reproduces the sound very well.

Thanks again - maybe you should change your ID to Sherlock?

r8p
Old May 11th 2008, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

i like the motorcycle frogs... the ones that sound like a 50cc taking off for a vry short distance.... when I heard it originally I thought it was kids on monkey bikes...
Old May 11th 2008, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trekrider

Heleioporus eyrei

Trust those bloody French to gatecrash !!