Pool filters?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pool filters?

My hubby works with pools and says the skimmer box would still need to be emptied, but the alternative to sand which is ground glass is much better if you can afford it.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Leaves drove us up the wall with our pool as well - we have sand filter. We eventually removed all the offending plants and planted better pool friendly species as replacements.

We should have done it years before - was so much better!!!! Obviously not everyone has/wants this option.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:37 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I use sand filter and its great...All I do with my pool is clean out the filters now and again, backwash and rinse and job done...Back to other duties.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:56 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
The pressure drops very quickly on cartridge. Do you have to clean yours 3-4 times a week? And buy new ones every 4-6 months?
This was in the States - I don't have a pool here in Oz (It's too cold)

I only had to clean the cartridge about every six months and never replaced it in six years. The water was sparkling. We used an automatic chlorine cake dispenser.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
This was in the States - I don't have a pool here in Oz (It's too cold)

I only had to clean the cartridge about every six months and never replaced it in six years. The water was sparkling. We used an automatic chlorine cake dispenser.

Bliss! Where abouts in the States did you live Wol?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Bliss! Where abouts in the States did you live Wol?
Bonita Springs, near Naples, Fl.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
Bonita Springs, near Naples, Fl.
Nice! Been to Naples very briefly.

Picked up a sand filter for my pool size for $750 all up, sand and fittings. Will fit it myself, having had a look it is very straightforward. I will see how it runs, thanks all.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:33 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had a pool less than a month and have a good cartridge filter (apparently) but already its a huge problem and I am going to have to get a sand one. According to the man who came today to try help me work out what was going on and why I keep getting no flow messages.

Cant chop the trees down because they are council owned.

Anyone got a leaf eater? Are they worth it?

My filter is full of brown slime from the pollen of my olives and mangos and the council ones that have nice red flowers later on in the year

God its hard here
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by viviennef
I have had a pool less than a month and have a good cartridge filter (apparently) but already its a huge problem and I am going to have to get a sand one. According to the man who came today to try help me work out what was going on and why I keep getting no flow messages.

Cant chop the trees down because they are council owned.

Anyone got a leaf eater? Are they worth it?

My filter is full of brown slime from the pollen of my olives and mangos and the council ones that have nice red flowers later on in the year

God its hard here
The leaf eater deffo helps but in my case, not enough. I am probably exaggerating the hassle but the sand filter should give me an easier time
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I fail to see how changing to a sand filter would have any effect on leaves clogging the thing up.

I've never had a sand filter but cartridge ones are dead easy to keep clean - snap off the cover and hose them down - all of a minute's work. No sand conditioning, backwashing, juggling valves.........
Couldn't agree more. We're on acreage and have millions (maybe slight exaggeration) of trees but we only have to empty the skimmer box once a day in weather like it is at the moment - very dry and windy. We do use socks in the skimmer box but him outdoors only has to rinse out the filters once every few months. Can't see how a sand filter would be different - the leaves will still block it up won't they?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Couldn't agree more. We're on acreage and have millions (maybe slight exaggeration) of trees but we only have to empty the skimmer box once a day in weather like it is at the moment - very dry and windy. We do use socks in the skimmer box but him outdoors only has to rinse out the filters once every few months. Can't see how a sand filter would be different - the leaves will still block it up won't they?
The catridge filters can't be unclogged after a point but the sand can, and far easier. - so my friend who had the same issue said anyway
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:47 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a sock - apparently sand filters are better because they break down the little particles rather than just store them in the filter - where they block. so a cartridge one is like an accordian of filter paper and the scum just sits on the paper where in a sand one it jiggles about and the particles move through it.

I am going to get a blanket but they look so unsightly I think, my life is far to short to be pulling a filter out every other day though.

thanks kporte, I think I will get a leaf eater - was looking at them and couldnt decide.

Vivienne
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

I use a sock - apparently sand filters are better because they break down the little particles rather than just store them in the filter - where they block. so a cartridge one is like an accordian of filter paper and the scum just sits on the paper where in a sand one it jiggles about and the particles move through it.

I am going to get a blanket but they look so unsightly I think, my life is far to short to be pulling a filter out every other day though.

thanks kporte, I think I will get a leaf eater - was looking at them and couldnt decide.

Vivienne
Yes I believe that the sand doesn't filter as finely as the cartridge and this means more problems with a leafier pool with the cartridge. There is no question that sand is less work, for sure.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Vivienne
With the leaf eater and a sock, you may be sorted.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:23 am
ABCDiamond

Yes I believe that the sand doesn't filter as finely as the cartridge and this means more problems with a leafier pool with the cartridge. There is no question that sand is less work, for sure.
I have considered putting a sand filter between the pump and the cartridge filter. Getting the best of both worlds, but not sure if any complications would occur.

Another problem with the cartridge is the chance of the paper tearing, and then being useless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.