Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which pool fence would you go for ?

View Poll Results: Which pool fence would you pick ?
Alluminium - cost about $240 per metre
52.38%
6mm safety glass in alluminium surround - cost $280 pm
28.57%
12mm thick safety glass with stainless steel posts - cost over $700 pm
14.29%
Perspex - no idea re cost, just seen it advertised but think it's cheaper than glass
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Which pool fence would you go for ?

Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which pool fence would you go for ?

We're currently getting quotes for pool fences and I'm majorly confused by all the different options. This fence has to last and look good as OH has said that we're never moving ever again !!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:46 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which pool fence would you go for ?

Originally Posted by ohippy
We're currently getting quotes for pool fences and I'm majorly confused by all the different options. This fence has to last and look good as OH has said that we're never moving ever again !!
The one that fits all the saftey regulations is the easiest to keep clean (ie, not having to clean the water marks off the glass)
and one i can paint to match what colour i fancy (monthly lol)

So bog standard fencing for me then lol
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind what it's made of, pick a colour that will go well with my swimsuit

I agree with what Sam says, glass would be a pain to keep clean, at least with aluminium you can paint it if you get bored so yep, me too, standard fencing
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:57 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

got to be diy guys
bunnings to be precise
( just done a temp job on mine and had the inspector round today and passed with flying colours )

2.4 mtr alloy pool fencing at $89 each ( avaiable in four styles and four colours )
1.3 mtr posts £33 each
gate $120
hinges £39
child proof lock £69
little black caps for posts £1 each

hope this helps

steve

opps forgot $29 for a box of 50 rawbolts

pps how is the wise one ?
Attached Thumbnails Which pool fence would you go for ?-img_6287.jpg   Which pool fence would you go for ?-img_6296.jpg   Which pool fence would you go for ?-img_6319.jpg  

Last edited by steve`o; Feb 13th 2007 at 9:59 am. Reason: missed a bit ;)
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
got to be diy guys
bunnings to be precise
( just done a temp job on mine and had the inspector round today and passed with flying colours )

2.4 mtr alloy pool fencing at $89 each ( avaiable in four styles and four colours )
1.3 mtr posts £33 each
gate $120
hinges £39
child proof lock £69
little black caps for posts £1 each

hope this helps

steve

opps forgot $29 for a box of 50 rawbolts

pps how is the wise one ?
never thought of that Steve - duh !! I may get the pool fencing guy round to see re the regs as we have some trees close by and then do diy. Hubby doesn't want to do any work though which is a shame - could I swop you and him when you've finished your house ???

I do quite fancy the glass bit for the end though as it's the only light we get at the back of the house !
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:14 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

never thought of that Steve - duh !! I may get the pool fencing guy round to see re the regs as we have some trees close by and then do diy. Hubby doesn't want to do any work though which is a shame - could I swop you and him when you've finished your house ???

I do quite fancy the glass bit for the end though as it's the only light we get at the back of the house !
the glass does look good but its a nighmare to keep clean
friends of ours have it at bonogin and its become a daily chore to wash the inside of the panels nearest to the pool
most pools are salt based chlorine its makes abloody mess of the glass when its splashed

re the regs agion bunnings do a leaflet its dead easy as long as the fence is 1.2mt high with no leas tha .1mts gap at he bottom ofthe panel and the gate swings shot on its self with the opener at 59" from finished floor level you carnt really go wrong

see my thread
on my way for more info
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Our pool fence is 8mm frameless glass (15 metres), with 50mm powder coated silver posts and came to about $3,600.

Heres a picture.

Oh, and by the way, we don't find it a chore keeping it clean.
Attached Thumbnails Which pool fence would you go for ?-dscn1711.jpg   Which pool fence would you go for ?-dscn1712.jpg   Which pool fence would you go for ?-dscn1478.jpg  
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi. Our pool fence is 8mm frameless glass (15 metres), with 50mm powder coated silver posts and came to about $3,600.

Heres a picture.

does look good, yours is cheaper than we're being quoted though - may need to do a bit of bartering
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

We've got glass fence and it's no big deal to keep clean. If the kids have been a bit splashy it can leave marks but a quick hose down with clean water is all it needs. I had worried that i might spend my weekends with glass cleaner and a cloth but it hasn't been a problem.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:40 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassie

Heres a picture.

Pool and fence is fab however your chair on the patio is breeching the fence.....my mate just got fined for this
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:56 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It would depend on the length. I have seen people use the glass stuff for parts of the fence between the house / patio and pool, and cheaper stuff for the rest and that seems to work well.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:53 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
It would depend on the length. I have seen people use the glass stuff for parts of the fence between the house / patio and pool, and cheaper stuff for the rest and that seems to work well.
Trouble with having glass fence is our two year old is a dopey sod - she would walk/run straight into it !
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:57 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we picked powder coated alluminium but it was no where near $240 a metre, it was $150 a metre which included 2 gates
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Trouble with having glass fence is our two year old is a dopey sod - she would walk/run straight into it !
Good point, may not be that safe if the kids like to run around, they may forget it's there.....
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

We bought ours from the courier mail happy shopper, brand new 26m of fence plus gate hinges and lock in black for $800 and put it up ourselves and saved a small fortune