Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pool cover, Kreepy Krauly or both?

Wikiposts

Pool cover, Kreepy Krauly or both?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:26 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pool cover, Kreepy Krauly or both?

We have just bought a house with a pool. In the house we rented we had a pool, but the landlord arranged someone to maintain it, we just had to skim it and make sure the kreepy krauly was working. It was in a residential area, with only a few trees around, so it wasn't too much bother. In our new house, we back on to bush, so there are bucket lods of leaves in the pool if it is windy (on top of a hill too, so windy lots of the time!) and whilst I don't mind using the net and skimming it every day or even twice every day, I am also having to clean the bottom every day with the vac thing which takes ages.

Hubby and I are just debating whether to get a pool cover fitted, a Kreepy Krauly or whether both would be the way to go. Does anyone have one, the other or both and if so, why?

Another quick question, if I may. I have noticed that we have some algal growth over the past couple of days (heavy rain followed by hot weather is the cause I presume). So if I take a sample to the pool shop tomorrow will they tell me what to do and what to use and how much etc?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool cover, Kreepy Krauly or both?

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
We have just bought a house with a pool. In the house we rented we had a pool, but the landlord arranged someone to maintain it, we just had to skim it and make sure the kreepy krauly was working. It was in a residential area, with only a few trees around, so it wasn't too much bother. In our new house, we back on to bush, so there are bucket lods of leaves in the pool if it is windy (on top of a hill too, so windy lots of the time!) and whilst I don't mind using the net and skimming it every day or even twice every day, I am also having to clean the bottom every day with the vac thing which takes ages.

Hubby and I are just debating whether to get a pool cover fitted, a Kreepy Krauly or whether both would be the way to go. Does anyone have one, the other or both and if so, why?

Another quick question, if I may. I have noticed that we have some algal growth over the past couple of days (heavy rain followed by hot weather is the cause I presume). So if I take a sample to the pool shop tomorrow will they tell me what to do and what to use and how much etc?
We have both. Not sure about NSW, but in WA a pool cover is mandatory. It keeps the pool cleaner - no leaves get in - and it helps keep it warm besides preventing evaporation. The kreepy krawly thing hasn't actually been used yet. I find it easier just to vacuum once a week.

We're in an area with not a lot of trees, but shit loads of sand. Sand everywhere!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:44 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you! Having just hoovered a shed load of 'red dust' off the bottom of the pool (the house was empty when we had that dust storm), I feel your pain! And now we have the algae - bottom of the pool is looking a rather fetching mottled greeny-brown colour! And after I made such an effort to clean it after we moved here
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Thank you! Having just hoovered a shed load of 'red dust' off the bottom of the pool (the house was empty when we had that dust storm), I feel your pain! And now we have the algae - bottom of the pool is looking a rather fetching mottled greeny-brown colour! And after I made such an effort to clean it after we moved here
I haven't had a pool for 30 years and the OH has never had one before so we know next to nothing about how to care for it. We found a pool shop not too far away who do free water testing and loads of free advice. Why not take a sample of your water to the local pool shop to see what they recommend for the algae?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:58 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

Yes, will do that tomorrow. Since we moved in, we had a light switch that didn't do anything. Just turned it on to find that it lights up the pool. Could see a lizard sticking its tail and bottom in! Maybe a cover is a good idea!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:06 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

just wanted to say that I wouldnt even entertain a pool without the crawley or the pool cover- believe me, its too much hassel without them!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

We have both a cover a crawler. We also have a ton of trees around us! The pool cover keeps the heat in and the majority of leaves out, I tend to put the crawler on every now and then, only because I find it therapeutic to clean the pool (still get a massive kick out of the fact we have one!)

We use a local pool shop for testing and they have always been outstanding, even when we had what I thought was a "rusty" pool they had it sorted within 24hrs and no big bills.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:25 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by squeezzii
just wanted to say that I wouldnt even entertain a pool without the crawley or the pool cover- believe me, its too much hassel without them!
So what do you do with the creepy crawly? Does it go in with the pool cover on? We leave the cover on all the time unless we're in swimming or cleaning it.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi KittyCat - when we moved into our house the local pool shop came up and explained the whole workings of the pump, pool cleaning/maintenance to my hubby, didn't charge anything. Some places might charge but if they know they'll get your business they may send someone up to explain things to you. Worth ringing a couple of local places, explain you've just moved in, never owned a pool, do they offer this kind of service?

good luck

cheers
shears
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So what do you do with the creepy crawly? Does it go in with the pool cover on? We leave the cover on all the time unless we're in swimming or cleaning it.
Hi Dorothy, I keep my creepy on all the time even when the cover is on except when our daughter goes in the pool (i'm sure she thinks its a big Octopus). We also just take a sample to the pool shop by Ocean Keys, very helpfull there just give them a list of what chemicals we have, found them so helpful and not trying to sell something we don't need, will use them all the time now

John
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:32 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi Dorothy, I keep my creepy on all the time even when the cover is on except when our daughter goes in the pool (i'm sure she thinks its a big Octopus). We also just take a sample to the pool shop by Ocean Keys, very helpfull there just give them a list of what chemicals we have, found them so helpful and not trying to sell something we don't need, will use them all the time now

John
Thanks John. That's where I went on the weekend too. Nice guys and didn't try to sell me a thing.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Both. Get a solar blanket and a cover -(leaf stop). We only have a solar blanket and it is not enough - this is the issue I have (in a leaf and tree rich area, like you):

When the blanket is on, and the pool is not in use for more than a few weeks, (offseason maybe) debris and leaves wil eventually find themselves into the pool and you won't see how bad it is due to the cover. You'll have to sweep the blanket carefully in any case. There will be dry bits, wet bits the rest of it.

General rule: the more you leave the pool, the harder (more expensive possibly) it is to rectify and then you get into the realm of having to vacuum to waste and lose water - and we are not allowed to top up from mains.

The creepy crawly, however you manage it, WILL miss spots and I find that nothing beats a manual vaccum through the filter (you need to connect the creepy crawly hose to a brush and pole and then to the skimmer plate on the 'inlet' and sweep slowly). If a creepy crawly is going to work at all, then you need to maintain good pressure, (rinse out your baskets often), use a leaf trap maybe, and do it little and often. I've said that phrase before ..it is your watchword...

We're thinking of getting a leaf stop for next winter so we don't get stuff in the pool at all when we are busy. Having said that my past practise of cleaning the pool at the end of the season and then having the blue water all winter exposed with less evaporation was pleasant. It was easy to see when it needed a vacuum.

In summer the solar blanket is ugly to look at but you need it - it stops A LOT of water evaporation and if you are on restrictions this becomes a legal /civil not just a moral issue.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:46 am
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future

Our Kreepy stays in the pool permanently so when the time clock kicks in it cleans daily. Makes for a easy to look after pool. Skimmer socks are another must have.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Have any of you used those new chemical pool blankets that you put in the water and are suppose to stop the evaporation by upto 90%? They are recommended by the pool association people. If so which ones have you used?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Very Happy
Our Kreepy stays in the pool permanently so when the time clock kicks in it cleans daily. Makes for a easy to look after pool. Skimmer socks are another must have.
We did this but the kreepy failed prematurely due to being in water all the time. I find that they block at some point or lose pressure. It's a vicious circle - if you did what you suggest - quite rightly - then there would be less work etc. Hence why I say little and often!

I've used socks and then found them in the pump!

At the end of the day we live in a high leaf area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.