Ponderable Thoughts

Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ponderable Thoughts

Originally Posted by Wendy
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
What's the point unless you can get 10 kilos off?
Good point Ms Simpson. I'm sure I'm not the only lady who won't get on the bathroom scales until she's completely emptied her bladder and had a big poo. And then gets on and off them several times, leaning in various directions before taking the lowest weight reading as gospel.

Damn! I bought the wrong ones
Oh, me too. I have electronic ones. Australian bathroom floors are pants for scales, cos the floors slope towards the drain. It can make for very interesting results (and a handy excuse if all the above fails to result in a loss)

When I go for my quarterly diabetes check ups, I have to be weighed. The nurse has one of those giant, very accurate contraptions, where she moves the weight along a big slider thing.

Gruesome thing it is.

I much prefer the scales in the doctor's office, which he drags out from under the examining table, plonks on a big board and put my weight at around 4 kilos lighter than I am at home, in the morning, naked. Marvellous scales!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:00 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
What sort of scale is it?

Those analoguey dially type ones are great, you can lean over to one side and weigh at least a kilo less than you should.
It's a digital one... it measures water and gives you body fat percentage, but only of your lower body as it runs a fairly low current up through your legs... and of course, that doesn't give you the whole picture.

Originally Posted by GarryP
IIRC they use a strain guage. Therefore provided your weight is even distributed (eg one foot in the middle, CoG over the foot) then it should be approximately accurate, taking into account the mass of the cast.
Hmm, thanks Garry. Does that work with a digital scale too, you think?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:28 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
It's a digital one... it measures water and gives you body fat percentage, but only of your lower body as it runs a fairly low current up through your legs... and of course, that doesn't give you the whole picture.

Hmm, thanks Garry. Does that work with a digital scale too, you think?
That's the sort of one I have. So obviously, I only ever use it for normal weighing (it's a bit like the washing machine - 27 programmes and I use 3 of them)

I have experimented with mine, just for your information. If I weigh myself with one leg in the air, held rigid and outright, it doesn't give the same figure as when I weigh myself with two feet on the scales.

This might have been because I had to hold onto the sink to keep my balance
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Stop weighing yourselves people, it's unhealthy.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy
That's the sort of one I have. So obviously, I only ever use it for normal weighing (it's a bit like the washing machine - 27 programmes and I use 3 of them)

I have experimented with mine, just for your information. If I weigh myself with one leg in the air, held rigid and outright, it doesn't give the same figure as when I weigh myself with two feet on the scales.
Thanks... although I'm not holding my leg out ... just lifting it up.

This might have been because I had to hold onto the sink to keep my balance
Yeah, that might be why...
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Surely just looking in the mirror should do it.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Surely just looking in the mirror should do it.
What's wrong with wanting to get a fix on just how much weight you've lost? It's empowering and encouraging.

I lost 5kg before Christmas, and now I'm on the next 5kg.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with wanting to get a fix on just how much weight you've lost? It's empowering and encouraging.

I lost 5kg before Xmas too...put 3 back on though

I'm so weak willed
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 12:59 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Toughts are not "thoughts" unless they are thoughtfully and ponderably "ponderable".
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Quite so!

Well done on the weight loss.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:46 am

I lost 5kg before Xmas too...put 3 back on though

I'm so weak willed
So am I.... I just eat chips and drink wine. It's working well.

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Quite so!

Well done on the weight loss.
Thank you.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

So am I.... I just eat chips and drink wine. It's working well.

Thank you.
I like the sound of that diet
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:54 am

I like the sound of that diet
Ha.

I only do that on weekends though. And only once... well, all day is once, right?

The rest of the week, I am angelic.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ponder this:

when rolling out dough for a treacle tart base - see a thread somewhere in this forum discussing pommie puddings (and where you can or cannot buy them) - use a proper rolling pin, not the one which is designed to roll out your children's playdough

My wife pointed out the error!