Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Politically incorrect, today

Politically incorrect, today

Old May 2nd 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Politically incorrect, today

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ics-think.html
I don't watch Australian TV, so had never heard of this Kerri-Anne, but she's certainly right to call out the intolerance of political incorrectness, and the laughs it can generate. Below is a classic example: a very clever sketch by Barry Humphries a couple of decades ago. Desperately incorrect today, but still clever, and still funny. To me. Anybody else? Will this post get me into trouble again with BE's wowsers? (Wowsers...! Is that still a word, even?)
Old May 4th 2020, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politically incorrect, today

Kerri Anne I suspect has her own agenda. As you remarked who is she anyway? Did you find Sir Les funny? He had a few moments but to my mind played more on the uncouthness of Australian society at the time, and certain aspects of the Aussie male in particular. Obviously over stated to make a point and 'comedy' in the process.
I suspect the growth of a certain 'class consciousness' in terms of middle class aspirations,
along with distaste in many quarters for the Bogan way of behaviour , which was once fairly interchangeable with what passed as Australian culture , at least among many, has resulted in change.

Australians are probably far more serious these days. Life is expensive. Nothing is guaranteed . Life is definitely harder over recent decades than in times before. The nation has changed.
Old May 4th 2020, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politically incorrect, today

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Did you find Sir Les funny? He had a few moments but to my mind played more on the uncouthness of Australian society at the time, and certain aspects of the Aussie male in particular. Obviously over stated to make a point and 'comedy' in the process.
I found Barry Humphries clever and outrageous, and funny in a laboured Benny-Hill kind of way. I was Australian until I was about 30 (in 1970), having lived abroad for seven years. Then, I realised that I had become a base-less, nation-less "expat". (I am still an expat, though a British one now.) I always preferred Les Patterson to Dame Edna, although the latter had her moments. Here's one of them: