Pokemon Go

Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pokemon Go

Originally Posted by Still Game
One question I do have, do you win money or something for collecting all the little men? There's surely got to be something in it ??
Hah!

As you go further you find you have to pay to get the bits you need. It might be free at the beginning, but that's to entice you in.

As per most games, its bragging rights that you 'win'.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I see that, in the USA, in Baltimore, a driver crashed into a police car while playing the game, the police car was parked up on the roadside. The drivers comment was 'that's what you get for playing this dumbass game' FFS he was the driver!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't played it and won't be any time soon. But it does get the mind thinking on what could be the next evolution of this concept. I've heard of the Ingres app that came before Pokemon Go.

What about (and this is thinking small) a supermarket app where you lookup an item name and it overlays directions on your camera screen as well as make the item illuminate. If it means not being bothered by over anxious sales people, I'd sign up for it.

Of course Microsoft are developing the overlay augmented reality visor thing and so not difificult for anyone to see where we're headed..... drawing fake boobies on your boss.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A number of firms are now signing up for it, and so you need to visit MD to get their special pokemon, and you will need to visit other places to get others, so, perhaps, if you buy a big mac, then you will be able to find more pokemons there, will be good business for those firms..
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
What about (and this is thinking small) a supermarket app where you lookup an item name and it overlays directions on your camera screen as well as make the item illuminate. If it means not being bothered by over anxious sales people, I'd sign up for it.
The problem with that is that there is still not a good way of doing local positioning. GPS won't get you better than +/- 10m, then there's height.

True AR needs cm type accuracy as a minimum. Which is why Pokemon Go doesn't do anything like that.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
The problem with that is that there is still not a good way of doing local positioning. GPS won't get you better than +/- 10m, then there's height.

True AR needs cm type accuracy as a minimum. Which is why Pokemon Go doesn't do anything like that.
Not necessarily. Let's say all items in a supermarket were tagged and an iPhone used the iBeacon technology as well as the gyroscope (the iPhone can also measure altitude), then it should be possible to overlay on the camera screen.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 10:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Not necessarily. Let's say all items in a supermarket were tagged and an iPhone used the iBeacon technology as well as the gyroscope (the iPhone can also measure altitude), then it should be possible to overlay on the camera screen.
Beacon only gives you a few metres at best, gyroscopes give you angular rate not position, and the altitude measure isn't accurate either.

The question of inside out accurate positioning for AR is one of those "money shot" questions that nobody has a really good general purpose answer for, and if someone comes up with something, they make lots of money.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Beacon only gives you a few metres at best, gyroscopes give you angular rate not position, and the altitude measure isn't accurate either.

The question of inside out accurate positioning for AR is one of those "money shot" questions that nobody has a really good general purpose answer for, and if someone comes up with something, they make lots of money.
Triangulation can make it much more accurate. And there are other ways to make it more accurate such as object identification from the camera. A store could have markers that their app (using your camera) can recognise to confirm location. I think we already have the solutions, we just need to be a bit creative with them. I'm sure the early beta versions will probably suck but it could get to a point of being dependable and even a must have app for shoppers.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 1:12 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Triangulation can make it much more accurate. And there are other ways to make it more accurate such as object identification from the camera. A store could have markers that their app (using your camera) can recognise to confirm location. I think we already have the solutions, we just need to be a bit creative with them. I'm sure the early beta versions will probably suck but it could get to a point of being dependable and even a must have app for shoppers.
Yeah, you can use markers, but there are some limitations there too. Affine transforms can lose accuracy with distance.

You can throw serious processing at it and get something that works in particular circumstances, but general is a bigger problem.

Put it this way. Google, Oculus Rift, etc. would pay big money for an inside out general solution.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I have never not understood something more in my life
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, you can use markers, but there are some limitations there too. Affine transforms can lose accuracy with distance.

You can throw serious processing at it and get something that works in particular circumstances, but general is a bigger problem.

Put it this way. Google, Oculus Rift, etc. would pay big money for an inside out general solution.
I think you are over thinking the problem. We have ways to measure many different positioning and orientation counters. This doesn't need to be exact to the milimeter but good enough to direct you down an aisle and towards a shelf.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 4:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Kim67
My three kids are all playing it. My driveway seems to be a bit of a hot zone over the last couple of days. Heaps of stuff got there. My son went off with his mates after school yesterday playing and now they're meeting before school in the urban village near their school (nice and populated and safe). It seems to be getting them all off their backsides and moving at least. Wonder how long it will last.
You might like to introduce them to :

https://pokevision.com/#/@-28.003495...42716217041016

hooks into the underlying API apparently ....
Old Jul 24th 2016, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

This is a dangerous game- people are already stupidly unaware of their surroundings, and when they get caught up in the game they will do even more daft things like walking into traffic. Children especially have little road sense and this is a very bad idea. My husband and daughter play it, but I just think they look ridiculous walking up and down with their gadgets. We were in London, Nice and Seoul recently, and so many people were filming the scenery/events rather than actually looking at things with their own eyes. I got bumped into more times than I could count.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
This is a dangerous game- people are already stupidly unaware of their surroundings, and when they get caught up in the game they will do even more daft things like walking into traffic. Children especially have little road sense and this is a very bad idea. My husband and daughter play it, but I just think they look ridiculous walking up and down with their gadgets. We were in London, Nice and Seoul recently, and so many people were filming the scenery/events rather than actually looking at things with their own eyes. I got bumped into more times than I could count.
Yeah I agree that it is a bit too careless for what it's trying to do. A smaller game in a confined area such as a park or building might make more sense in terms of safety. When eye wear with a proper implementation of a head up display gets developed (not that silly Google attempt) things should be a bit safer. But distraction will still exist as it does even with hands free devices in cars.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:25 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Yeah I agree that it is a bit too careless for what it's trying to do. A smaller game in a confined area such as a park or building might make more sense in terms of safety. When eye wear with a proper implementation of a head up display gets developed (not that silly Google attempt) things should be a bit safer. But distraction will still exist as it does even with hands free devices in cars.
Actually I've not really understood these journalist scare stories.

If you were out looking for pokemon, you wouldn't be looking down at the phone because for those close you can see them on the map, and only need to move to their rough vicinity, so it would be (find on map > walk there > phone vibrates > capture pokemon). For those further away, and thus not on the map, you've no distance or direction information on the app anyway, so you are wandering in the hope they will turn up (when the phone vibrates again).

As for capture, you want to be stationary and don't move at all.

There's virtually no 'AR' to the app.

So who's going to be looking down and moving at the same time, at no point are you 'chasing' anything?

It sounds like a typical made up journalist story than reality. People reading messages whilst running for the train are MUCH more likely to run into people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.