Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Plastering - what is the difference?

Plastering - what is the difference?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:39 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plastering - what is the difference?

My hubby is a plasterer.
What is the difference between plastering in Uk to Australia eg. materials, process and obviously the effects of the heat.
Thanks
J x
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:31 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plastering - what is the difference?

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
My hubby is a plasterer.
What is the difference between plastering in Uk to Australia eg. materials, process and obviously the effects of the heat.
Thanks
J x
not a lot,they still moan about the brickwork over here..

not a lot that i have noticed,except they use smaller dabs,but thats about it..oh and the plasters on our job put up all the metal stud aswell..

good luck

A

Last edited by aston man; Apr 6th 2009 at 2:33 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Not much difference in plastering I wouldn't think.

The brickwork is still shite (see my thread asking for help from brickies for an example of the fine workmanship you can expect from bricklayers here).
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

My hubby is a plasterer.
Thanks
J x
have a look at my old posts on plastereing
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Apparently there is a massive difference,

Helens friends husband is a plasterer.

When his dad (a plasterer in the UK) visited last year he couldn't believe the method and products he was using ....he said is was like going back 30 years!!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

My hubby is a plasterer.
Thanks
J x
Probably the same as the Uk, They Plaster over all the powerpoints, I´m a tiler and have to come back to many jobs after the sparky powers up the place and has a few short circuits, low and behold a superb render job over the Powerpoints:curse:
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

FionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really nice

Originally Posted by aston man
not a lot,they still moan about the brickwork over here..

not a lot that i have noticed,except they use smaller dabs,but thats about it..oh and the plasters on our job put up all the metal stud aswell..

good luck

A
Hi Aston Man

Are you in Perth? What is the work like out there at the moment. Am Plasterer/metal stud partitioner.

Thanks
Andrew
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:16 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

There is a massive difference compared to the UK. I would class a UK plasterer as someone who applies wet plaster to internal brick/blockwork using hardwall, browning, bonding and finish topcoats, well here's the bad news, they do not do any of this on the east side of OZ can't talk about Perth though. It's all p/board dry-wall, dob & dab, fix to wood & metal studs and tape & joint. On the external walls they apply acrylic render which comes in bags and you just mix with water in a bucket and apply to the wall then float it up with a polystyrene float (yes! polystyrene float). This is classed as rendering and is more comparable to UK plastering. At the moment the heat is bearable it's around 25 to 27 degrees in Queensland but come mid summer it averages 30 degrees everyday with high humidity. Not comfortable but you just have to get on with it....
Old Apr 8th 2009, 8:42 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for your replies.
We are off to Melbourne so will be looking into what you said aussiedreamz.
Cheers,
J x