Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pitbulls should be banned.

Pitbulls should be banned.

Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:14 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pitbulls should be banned.

Originally Posted by eddie007
I had a friend with a kelpie who continuously rounded people up in social situations... thought it was hilarious, its this this breeds natural tendency... In fact she would point it out as his party trick...

Unfortunately the people he succeeded in rounding up weren't all "dog lovers" and some actually felt threatened by his behavior.... Having a strange dog lurking and slinking that you can see out the corner of your eye, can you imagine anything more unpleasant for dog phobics?

The peoples fault for behaving fearfully like sheep? The dogs fault, because its bred for herding? Or the owners fault for not recognizing the perceived threat and keeping the dog under better control?
Way to belittle cynophobics, many of whom got their fear after being savaged or frightened as kids. I'm a dog lover. I grew up with dogs, and my family keep dogs today. Unlike some I actually know how to train a dog properly. I will get a dog when the kids are older. I am still concerned when a bull terrier passes me, slavering and straining at the leash. That's not being fearful like a sheep, but exercising common sense, especially if you have children with you.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Way to belittle cynophobics, many of whom got their fear after being savaged or frightened as kids. I'm a dog lover. I grew up with dogs, and my family keep dogs today. Unlike some I actually know how to train a dog properly. I will get a dog when the kids are older. I am still concerned when a bull terrier passes me, slavering and straining at the leash. That's not being fearful like a sheep, but exercising common sense, especially if you have children with you.
So, how would you feel if a strange dog... Of ANY breed did this to you and your kids????

My point is... The owner allowing their dog to do it is being irresponsible..
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:18 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

So, how would you feel if a strange dog... Of ANY breed did this to you and your kids????
Did what - tried to round me up like your Kelpie example?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

It was on the news this morning that 2 pitbulls have been euthanized in Sydney overnight after attacking a woman walking with a toddler in a pushchair. The woman has wounds to her leg/knee but it could have been so much worse.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Did what - tried to round me up like your Kelpie example?
Was displaying rounding up behavior to your children?

What if your children didn't want to be rounded up... Resisted... Thus "provoking" a nip to the ankles? Which is, after all the next step for the kelpie with unco operative animals it is herding...

Being aware of breed behavior and the potential consequences of it, and eliminating risk is part of sensible dog ownership....

And not allowing your dog to impact on others is also a massive part of it.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:25 am
Banned

Was displaying rounding up behavior to your children?

What if your children didn't want to be rounded up... Resisted... Thus "provoking" a nip to the ankles? Which is, after all the next step for the kelpie with unco operative animals it is herding...

Being aware of breed behavior and the potential consequences of it, and eliminating risk is part of sensible dog ownership....

And not allowing your dog to impact on others is also a massive part of it.
As I'm sure you know, you have to think about these things when choosing a breed. If you pick a breed like Kelpie or Border Collie you know you have to train the herding instinct out of it when it's still young, otherwise it's going to end up nipping ankles etc. My family has collies so I know what they get up to. How I deal with it when my kids are around them is by removing the collie from the situation, lest his training fail him.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I'm sure you know, you have to think about these things when choosing a breed. If you pick a breed like Kelpie or Border Collie you know you have to train the herding instinct out of it when it's still young, otherwise it's going to end up nipping ankles etc. My family has collies so I know what they get up to. How I deal with it when my kids are around them is by removing the collie from the situation, lest his training fail him.
Excellent response... Seriously... You are a sensible dog owner...

Others are not... They don't see the potential threat... They see it as cute... They applaud it....

Can you see how owner education can be applied to all breeds? It's TOO easy for just anyone to go out and buy Any dog... Without the knowledge and experience to manage that dog safely....

And even those who purport to having "academic" knowledge can go on to display poor judgement by over humanizing their dogs...

The "my little rottie would never bite anyone because he doesn't bite his own family" syndrome
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:46 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I got bite by my neighbours staffie last year, long story short fence panel came down, neighbour was fixing fence and allowed dog into my garden, I shooed dog back over dog followed me as I was going in to my house, my rottie x heeler saw it coming up behind and he got through my legs and grabbed it by the throat. My dog wouldn't let go neighbour was punching my dog to make him let go. Eventually got him off, staffie then went for my dog, I went to grab its collar( I also had my dogs collar in my other hand) staffie turned round and locked its jaws on my hand. Lots of screaming and blood later. Result was staffie had a small puncture wound to its neck, neighbour had a go at me for letting my dog out ( which I hadn't done on purpose) . I spoke to an animal behaviourist who said that my dogs bite had been a 3 out of 10 , basically a holding bite, to stop the dog getting to me, he was protecting me. I had to get a tetanus shot and anti biotics, I went round to the neighbours so make sure his dog was ok, I told him I'd pay for any vets bills, but he hadn't needed to take it to the vet. I can honestly say that was a scary experience, having a dog literally hanging off my hand, and seeing my own dog attack another dog ( a side to him I had never seen before)I'm now very wary of other dogs, it was a stupid situation which looking back on should never have happened, but who was to blame, me, the neighbour, my dog, his dog?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I got bite by my neighbours staffie last year, long story short fence panel came down, neighbour was fixing fence and allowed dog into my garden, I shooed dog back over dog followed me as I was going in to my house, my rottie x heeler saw it coming up behind and he got through my legs and grabbed it by the throat. My dog wouldn't let go neighbour was punching my dog to make him let go. Eventually got him off, staffie then went for my dog, I went to grab its collar( I also had my dogs collar in my other hand) staffie turned round and locked its jaws on my hand. Lots of screaming and blood later. Result was staffie had a small puncture wound to its neck, neighbour had a go at me for letting my dog out ( which I hadn't done on purpose) . I spoke to an animal behaviourist who said that my dogs bite had been a 3 out of 10 , basically a holding bite, to stop the dog getting to me, he was protecting me. I had to get a tetanus shot and anti biotics, I went round to the neighbours so make sure his dog was ok, I told him I'd pay for any vets bills, but he hadn't needed to take it to the vet. I can honestly say that was a scary experience, having a dog literally hanging off my hand, and seeing my own dog attack another dog ( a side to him I had never seen before)I'm now very wary of other dogs, it was a stupid situation which looking back on should never have happened, but who was to blame, me, the neighbour, my dog, his dog?
Take away any info about any specific breed and the problem of the fence ...and you have left...

Strange Dog invades your territory... Your dog protects it's territory and you.

Humans freak.

Normal.

Whilst most dog ownerS do everything they can to prevent and avoid situations where their dog revert to "natural" unacceptable behavior (unless they are working dogs) others encourage traits/behaviours which should not be encouraged.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 1:43 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I think that was what upset me most Eddie, I've always thought of myself as a responsible dog owner, have always had larger breed dogs and never had anything like this happen before, like I said totally stupid and upsetting situation and made me closely examine myself and my dog .
My Blue heeler bitch does sometimes have a tendency to round me up, mostly when it's dinner time and sh feels im not moving fast enough toward the food container. eShe never nips and never does it to anyone else but she gets told off in no uncertain terms!
Old Aug 24th 2013, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I think that was what upset me most Eddie, I've always thought of myself as a responsible dog owner, have always had larger breed dogs and never had anything like this happen before, like I said totally stupid and upsetting situation and made me closely examine myself and my dog .
My Blue heeler bitch does sometimes have a tendency to round me up, mostly when it's dinner time and sh feels im not moving fast enough toward the food container. eShe never nips and never does it to anyone else but she gets told off in no uncertain terms!
You ARE a responsible dog owner mate.. I've seen your dog...with you... What happened was a one off... Nothing to do with your dog being dangerous.. A colliding of circumstances which were outside of your control.... Don't forget that when humans get into the Mix and also behaved aggressively...rather than asserting control (your neighbor thumping your dog) it all got out of hand....

Your dog was on your property holding down an intruder being attacked by a second intruder.... It was doing it's dog job.... Protecting you, its pack... As the behavourist said.... It only used necessary force to subdue the other dog.....And you can't blame him, nor you for it....
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:11 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Man at Northgate (Brisbane) was bailed up by 3 "staffies" today. He had to climb up on his car to get away. Then, they turned on each other in a bloody battle which had to be stopped by police using pepper spray.

At the risk of sounding like an echo, this type of dog has no place in civilised society.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brissybee
Man at Northgate (Brisbane) was bailed up by 3 "staffies" today. He had to climb up on his car to get away. Then, they turned on each other in a bloody battle which had to be stopped by police using pepper spray.

At the risk of sounding like an echo, this type of dog has no place in civilised society.
No OWNER has any business allowing their dogs out unsupervised...

Interested to read the reports when they are available...
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:43 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
It was on the news this morning that 2 pitbulls have been euthanized in Sydney overnight after attacking a woman walking with a toddler in a pushchair. The woman has wounds to her leg/knee but it could have been so much worse.
Sorry, little bit wrong now story available. Dogs have not been destroyed but impounded - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-2...attack/4910068
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Sorry, little bit wrong now story available. Dogs have not been destroyed but impounded - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-2...attack/4910068
Would like to see the OWNERS impounded...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.