Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pitbulls should be banned.

Pitbulls should be banned.

Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:46 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pitbulls should be banned.

Originally Posted by Zen10
If the punishment outweighed the gain, and the law was actually enforced, they would care.
Sorry, have to disagree. There will always be an element of society that do not care about consequences. That is why murder, rape, drug trafficking etc still continue.

Destroying 'dangerous dogs' will not work because while there is a market for them, they will always be available, either through underground channels, or by finding new ways of breeding a different type of animal.

Breeding any type of animal is almost a science in itself. If a client wants a dog a certain way, there will be an unscrupulous breeder who will go out of their way to create that animal. Not only will there be monetary gain for them, there will be a kind of 'kudos' for them too.

No one type of dog is dangerous. ALL breeds of dogs have the potential to harm and ALL dogs, regardless of their nature, have the potential to harm if they are faced with a particular situation.

There is no overnight fix to this and while the Dangerous Dogs Act goes some way to policing it in the UK, the knee-jerk reaction which caused it to be brought in far too quickly, shows how, when these things are not thought about properly, or researched effectively, it goes wrong.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:02 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
Sorry, have to disagree. There will always be an element of society that do not care about consequences. That is why murder, rape, drug trafficking etc still continue.

Destroying 'dangerous dogs' will not work because while there is a market for them, they will always be available, either through underground channels, or by finding new ways of breeding a different type of animal.

Breeding any type of animal is almost a science in itself. If a client wants a dog a certain way, there will be an unscrupulous breeder who will go out of their way to create that animal. Not only will there be monetary gain for them, there will be a kind of 'kudos' for them too.

No one type of dog is dangerous. ALL breeds of dogs have the potential to harm and ALL dogs, regardless of their nature, have the potential to harm if they are faced with a particular situation.

There is no overnight fix to this and while the Dangerous Dogs Act goes some way to policing it in the UK, the knee-jerk reaction which caused it to be brought in far too quickly, shows how, when these things are not thought about properly, or researched effectively, it goes wrong.
And yet that particular element is so much smaller in places like Singapore.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If the punishment outweighed the gain, and the law was actually enforced, they would care.
Ok- a bit radical but here goes- what about shooting the owner instead of the dog?? 3 strikes and you're out.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:36 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Ok- a bit radical but here goes- what about shooting the owner instead of the dog?? 3 strikes and you're out.
A $250,000 fine payable through forced sale of property or minimum wage labour would do it. No one would risk that to breed a dog they can sell for a few hundred dollars.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:30 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Once again. An elderly woman in Perth has been attacked by two dogs. Staffordshire terrier / bull mastiff cross.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226702843555
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

A $250,000 fine payable through forced sale of property or minimum wage labour would do it. No one would risk that to breed a dog they can sell for a few hundred dollars.
That is of course assuming that the miscreant has either property or the capacity to work.

If the dog owner is in receipt of a State pension, then I believe that the most he/she can be required to "pay" is $15 per fortnight out of 'their' pension.

So if they get a $5,000.00 fine, then it is deducted from 'their' pension at $15.00 per fortnight. If there should be fines for further offenses, then the amount of those fines is merely added to the sum to be repaid........ at the the princely sum of a Dollar per day.

In effect, once anyone who is receipt of a state pension agrees to pay their fines to the State Debt Recovery office at the rate of $15.00 per fortnight, then no matter how many further fines the court imposes, the rate of payment of these fine does not alter, only the length of time required to repay the fine.

So as long as the offender stays on the State pension, the courts are powerless in regards to fines and costs.

As for "unpaid work" most of these jokers are on some sort of "Disability" benefit and are too flogged out from teaching their 'companion animals' to chew on anything that comes in range, to do anything more meaningful.

Last edited by Hino; Aug 23rd 2013 at 6:48 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
That is of course assuming that the miscreant has either property or the capacity to work.

If the dog owner is in receipt of a State pension, then I believe that the most he/she can be required to "pay" is $15 per fortnight out of 'their' pension.

So if they get a $5,000.00 fine, then it is deducted from 'their' pension at $15.00 per fortnight. If there should be fines for further offenses, then the amount of those fines is merely added to the sum to be repaid........ at the the princely sum of a Dollar per day.

In effect, once anyone who is receipt of a state pension agrees to pay their fines to the State Debt Recovery office at the rate of $15.00 per fortnight, then no matter how many further fines the court imposes, the rate of payment of these fine does not alter, only the length of time required to repay the fine.

So as long as the offender stays on the State pension, the courts are powerless in regards to fines and costs.

As for "unpaid work" most of these jokers are on some sort of "Disability" benefit and are too flogged out from teaching their 'companion animals' to chew on anything that comes in range, to do anything more meaningful.
I agree that the type of person that has an out of control dog will not end up paying anything.There is a list of non payers of fines just been published in Perth I would imagine it would just get bigger.

The latest dog in the picture of the attack of the poor old lady in Perth could be any sort of bull cross breed crossed with so many different types of dogs so it is a problem knowing what to do about it when the breed is often not known.There are to many dogs and people just wanting dogs for protection.I have a licence for my dogs and most responsible people do but these two dogs were not surprise surprise and I would imagine any laws relating to them would be ignored as no one would know about them until something like this happens.

As I have said before there are lots of dogs that scare me when I walk past with my dogs as I wonder what they would do if they got out.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:10 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the dogs and kill off the dog hater humans.

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:05 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Keep the dogs and kill off the dog hater humans.

It seems the dogs are working on it.

Actually, I like dogs. Particularly Jack Russells.

(Yes, I know... savage little critters... hunt in packs... )
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:21 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Once again. An elderly woman in Perth has been attacked by two dogs. Staffordshire terrier / bull mastiff cross.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226702843555
Apparently she was out on a morning walk with her husband minding her own business when the dogs got out and attacked her.

Imagine walking down the street minding when a dog (or dogs) escape and you get attacked badly enough to put you in hospital. Imagine if your child is playing in his/her garden and next doors dog or any dog scales your fence, or gets into your yard and attacks/kills your child.

Can you rehabilitate a dog that has done this - does it deserve a second chance? what happens if the owner was perceived by their neighbours to be a 'good owner' who says 'he has never done that before' and then because their dog has attacked, they have become a crap owner.

Yes - all dogs bite, yes, some dogs are more snappy than others and if we can accept that, then why cant we accept that a Jack Russell or a whippets jaws are easier to prise apart than something like an Am staff or a pit bull?

I can open my dogs jaws, yet my friends staffie boy 'Sunny' has much stronger jaws and when he tries to remove toys/balls from his dogs mouth - he cant.

Some dogs are easier to split up in a fight than others and that is a fact. See below. *Warning - Graphic Videos*

http://youtu.be/p514CHm5eXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmUuEyQfls

What is worse than these poor dog owners trying to stop the attacking dog savaging theirs, is when it happens to a child. And I am sorry, but when it happens to a child, that is a whole new ball game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM9UcTSre00
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:54 pm
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Apparently she was out on a morning walk with her husband minding her own business when the dogs got out and attacked her.

Imagine walking down the street minding when a dog (or dogs) escape and you get attacked badly enough to put you in hospital. Imagine if your child is playing in his/her garden and next doors dog or any dog scales your fence, or gets into your yard and attacks/kills your child.

Can you rehabilitate a dog that has done this - does it deserve a second chance? what happens if the owner was perceived by their neighbours to be a 'good owner' who says 'he has never done that before' and then because their dog has attacked, they have become a crap owner.

Yes - all dogs bite, yes, some dogs are more snappy than others and if we can accept that, then why cant we accept that a Jack Russell or a whippets jaws are easier to prise apart than something like an Am staff or a pit bull?

I can open my dogs jaws, yet my friends staffie boy 'Sunny' has much stronger jaws and when he tries to remove toys/balls from his dogs mouth - he cant.

Some dogs are easier to split up in a fight than others and that is a fact. See below. *Warning - Graphic Videos*

http://youtu.be/p514CHm5eXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmUuEyQfls

What is worse than these poor dog owners trying to stop the attacking dog savaging theirs, is when it happens to a child. And I am sorry, but when it happens to a child, that is a whole new ball game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM9UcTSre00
Yes, I agree... a snapping small dog is frightening enough but the bull breeds are just terrifying. And they can't be stopped in the middle of an attack.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cheetah7

Imagine walking down the street minding when a dog (or dogs) escape and you get attacked badly enough to put you in hospital.
Totally agree. I think this when I'm walking on the beach and I see them. There's one big one that takes a woman for a walk in the mornings and if he decided to go for it there's no way she could stop him, or anyone else for that matter. Sometimes he's muzzled, sometimes not.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend with a kelpie who continuously rounded people up in social situations... thought it was hilarious, its this this breeds natural tendency... In fact she would point it out as his party trick...

Unfortunately the people he succeeded in rounding up weren't all "dog lovers" and some actually felt threatened by his behavior.... Having a strange dog lurking and slinking that you can see out the corner of your eye, can you imagine anything more unpleasant for dog phobics?

The peoples fault for behaving fearfully like sheep? The dogs fault, because its bred for herding? Or the owners fault for not recognizing the perceived threat and keeping the dog under better control?
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:05 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I had a friend with a kelpie who continuously rounded people up in social situations... thought it was hilarious, its this this breeds natural tendency... In fact she would point it out as his party trick...

Unfortunately the people he succeeded in rounding up weren't all "dog lovers" and some actually felt threatened by his behavior.... Having a strange dog lurking and slinking that you can see out the corner of your eye, can you imagine anything more unpleasant for dog phobics?

The peoples fault for behaving fearfully like sheep? The dogs fault, because its bred for herding? Or the owners fault for not recognizing the perceived threat and keeping the dog under better control?
Lol
We go to a fishing comp on the Mary River, it's usually the last week in October & quite warm. The kids made a rope swing out over the bank beside the boat ramp & quite a number of them would be out in the water larking about & splashing. Our dog rounds them up & keeps them close to the bank. Any that swam further out he would swim after & "escort" them back to the shallows.
We found out last year that a 4m croc lives in the river so maybe he sensed the danger.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Lol
We go to a fishing comp on the Mary River, it's usually the last week in October & quite warm. The kids made a rope swing out over the bank beside the boat ramp & quite a number of them would be out in the water larking about & splashing. Our dog rounds them up & keeps them close to the bank. Any that swam further out he would swim after & "escort" them back to the shallows.
We found out last year that a 4m croc lives in the river so maybe he sensed the danger.
Yes mate... But that's your dogs looking after their pack.... To allow it to happen to strangers?

Cattle dog breeds have a tendency to "nip" ankles.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.