Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pitbulls should be banned.

Pitbulls should be banned.

Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pitbulls should be banned.

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Cat person?
I'm not really into cats either, though they're the lesser of two for me.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that people lie about the dog's breed to get round regulations, and often call a pit-bull type dog a staffy cross or similar. If you blanket ban, then you drive the practice underground. Have them neutered, chipped, muzzled, and have huge fines for those that are caught disobeying. (I do believe the UK does have some regulations about pit bulls.) But how do you police it effectively??
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:41 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I just add in edit that Australia has banned the importation of these creatures with a view to restricting their number, but it's not enough. Other countries have banned them outright, like the Netherlands, Germany, France, Denmark and several others. Civilised countries, basically. I don't think Britain has acted against them at all.
The UK has Breed Specific Legislation - here's the RSPCA's view on it.

Breed Specific Legislation in the UK
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:09 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

Don't rise to his bait! It was a pathetic dig at the "uncivilised" U.K
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:12 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy

Thanks Dreamy - much appreciated. Interesting that the RSPCA doesn't support the Dangerous Dogs Act. I just read through the entire Act. It seems so clear in its goal of banning the breeding and possession of these animals that I wonder why 21 years later there are still pit bulls in Britain. Obviously, as Caroline has mentioned, the terms of the Act are easy to evade.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:13 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Don't rise to his bait! It was a pathetic dig at the "uncivilised" U.K
Another mind-reader On British Expats. Perhaps you should set up a little tent in a fairground and charge $5 a go? - A moderator as well, I see. You should know better than trying to stir up arguments on threads. If I think allowing these things in a country is uncivilised I will say so. It is a perfectly reasonable position to take. My view is that Australia also adopts this uncivilised attitude as it prohibits only the importation of them, as far as I can tell without reading the Act.

Last edited by Zen10; Aug 5th 2013 at 11:18 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Don't forget that people lie about the dog's breed to get round regulations, and often call a pit-bull type dog a staffy cross or similar. If you blanket ban, then you drive the practice underground. Have them neutered, chipped, muzzled, and have huge fines for those that are caught disobeying. (I do believe the UK does have some regulations about pit bulls.) But how do you police it effectively??
It could be self-policed if the punishments were severe enough to make people fear the law, but they're not. If possession, proved by DNA testing, meant 10 years in prison, preceded by a 12 month amnesty, they would disappear within a couple of years from our society. People who doubt the capacity of these things to harm people should take a few moments to look at their victims on Google. I'm adding in edit that the damage caused by these animals is severe and only those with a strong disposition should look. It shocked me. I thought they just bit people and didn't let go, but they actually tear people to pieces.

Last edited by Zen10; Aug 5th 2013 at 11:20 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
i agree what do you do about people that lie about the breed?Also what about people like me who has a rescue dog that was described as a staffy cross.If there was a ban and I had to prove he is not a pit-bull how could I even though he is not?I have no papers apart from the rescue place and even they could not agree on his breed?I am sure this does happen in some states which is such a waste of money when the dog has done no wrong just the ranger has seen a dog and thought it might be a pit-bull.My dogs are neutered and chipped.I agree some dogs should be muzzled when out but what about attacks in the home?

I think some people should be never allowed to own a dog of any type so I don't know what you can do about that?
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Petensue I totally agree with you that there are some people who shouldn't ever own dogs at all. Unfortunately a lot of these people also have children! Scary!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a lot more people who should never have children, than people who should never have dogs... though its the dogs that get the bad press again isn't it
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Briar
Petensue I totally agree with you that there are some people who shouldn't ever own dogs at all. Unfortunately a lot of these people also have children! Scary!
And can vote.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:01 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Another mind-reader On British Expats. Perhaps you should set up a little tent in a fairground and charge $5 a go? - A moderator as well, I see. You should know better than trying to stir up arguments on threads. If I think allowing these things in a country is uncivilised I will say so. It is a perfectly reasonable position to take. My view is that Australia also adopts this uncivilised attitude as it prohibits only the importation of them, as far as I can tell without reading the Act.
Here's what you wrote:
I just add in edit that Australia has banned the importation of these creatures with a view to restricting their number, but it's not enough. Other countries have banned them outright, like the Netherlands, Germany, France, Denmark and several others. Civilised countries, basically. I don't think Britain has acted against them at all.
One does not require a crystal ball to read the blatantly obvious especially when, as a moderator, I get to read so many of these blatantly incorrect little witticisms. The U.K had a dangerous dogs act n place before any of those so called civilised countries you mentioned ergo it's a wind up. The alternative is you're not as informed as you lead us to believe, your choice
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57
Here's what you wrote:

One does not require a crystal ball to read the blatantly obvious especially when, as a moderator, I get to read so many of these blatantly incorrect little witticisms. The U.K had a dangerous dogs act n place before any of those so called civilised countries you mentioned ergo it's a wind up. The alternative is you're not as informed as you lead us to believe, your choice
I can readily admit I do not know the history of dangerous dog acts across the various countries of the world. Sadly, the presence of an act in Britain does not stop me from considering it quite uncivilised on plenty of other grounds.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 11:13 am
Banned

People might be interested in this story from today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rns-RSPCA.html
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:36 pm

I can readily admit I do not know the history of dangerous dog acts across the various countries of the world. Sadly, the presence of an act in Britain does not stop me from considering it quite uncivilised on plenty of other grounds.
Did you just pluck those countries from the ether? France hasn't banned them outright neither has the Netherlands. I can't be bothered to check the rest.
In summary France requires that you be over 18 with no criminal convictions to own a dangerous breed. The Netherlands have, in fact, repealed their policy on dangerous breeds altogether having found dog attacks were not limited to these so called dangerous breeds.
France here:
Netherlands here:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.