Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pingpong to Brisbane or Melbourne?

Pingpong to Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of
Default Pingpong to Brisbane or Melbourne?

Hello

My family and I (OH, and son aged 3) are in the lucky position of being able to pingpong back to oz as aussie citizens and hope to do so later on this year.

We lived in Melbourne for three and half years, loved it mostly.

However, we're currently weighing up the option of moving to Brisbane. Partly for the climate and also for the beaches, particularly its nearness to Byron Bay which we love!

Has anyone else moved from Melbourne to Brisbane and if so, what do you prefer about Brisbane?

Has anyone pingponged to Brisbane rather than Melbourne where they were first time around?

Would love to hear from people in a similar situation, it's a really difficult one as we can see so many positives in both places.

The only negative about Brisbane is that we don't know anyone there whereas in Melbourne we have some really good friends who we made and kept in touch with when back in the uk. Starting over completely in Brisbane is a bit daunting I have to admit and it would be easier to move to Melbourne where we are know the city and where to go.

We're very lucky to have this sort of dilemma but keen to make the right decision as we have a child to consider.

Thanks for any replies and advice given in advance!
Lucy
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pingpong to Brisbane or Melbourne?

We didn't ping pong.....but we moved from Sydney to Brisbane and absolutely love it. No regrets! We were happy in Sydney too, but Brisbane just feels like home for us.

I love the climate here. Winters are not too cold and we don't get those scorching days that Melbourne seems to suffer with.

Good luck with the move

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Melibeam moved from Melb to Bris - not sure if she posts on here still though

PS yes she does as I just looked it up - she may be able to give you a few pointers
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Melbourne in 2007 after living there for three years. I liked Melbourne but hated the cold winters. I like Brisbane too, much prefer the weather (even the humidity) and the easy access to the Gold and Sunshine coasts.

We were lucky in that we had friends here who made things easier for us, and we already knew we wanted to live in the Bayside area.

I have no regrets whatsoever about the move
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:49 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pingpong to Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by lucy71
we're currently weighing up the option of moving to Brisbane. Partly for the climate and also for the beaches,

Hi Lucy, we chose Melbourne over Brisbane having visited both because we felt Melbourne's beaches are so much better. Granted the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast have great beaches, however in Melbourne you can actually live within walking distance of a beautiful sandy beach and still commute easily to the CBD, whereas in Brisbane that is considerably harder.

Food for thought.

Buzzy
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:14 am
ABCDiamond

I did Sydney to UK then back and ended up in Brisbane area.
Not too hot, not too cold.

The right choice for me