Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pi##ed off already!!

Pi##ed off already!!

Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Pi##ed off already!!

Day one of our pool dig and I am ready for war.
Pool should have started end of April, but at short notice they bought it forward. We worked like trojans moving the paving slabs ready for the dig.
We didnt have a pre sale inspection.............not sure if the pool company are in the wrong there, but the dig supervisor came round and said all was ok. Mick had moved the spa and the pergola (which took him ages to erect) to the far end of the garden.
We then get told we have to hire a 6 sqm bin for the grass...............only a small amount of grass but there you go. $250 already on top of the bill, even before it started. Then get told we have to hire boards to protect our drive. Another $260 before day one!! As far as I am concerned they should supply them, but once again, its a money making scam. My OH is a painter and decorator. He doesnt go round someones house and tell them that if they want their furniture and carpets protected they need to buy dust sheets!!!

Bobcat arrives 7am this morning. Promptly tell us pool isnt going to fit in the area they have placed in on the plan. It will have to be moved down by 2 metres............meaning Mick now has to move both the spa and the pergola. Hasnt got time to properly dismantle the pergola so just pulls it down. The bobcat driver has allocated 5 hours, by now he has spent 2 hours sitting in my garden drinking tea whilst Mick is trying to clear the extra 2 metres they require.
Finally the bugger hits limestone...............but only at the far end, where he has moved the pool down by 2 metres!!! If the pool stayed in the original area we would have been all ok!!! He now has to stay longer and the order a huge truckfull of sand to line the bottom of the dig!!

He leaves us his bill............an extra 4 hours bobcat hire (through no fault of ours) $280 bill for the sand and a $600 bill for the 4 truckloads of soil that that he has taken away!!!
Think I might pay a visit to the pool company tommorrow, as all these added fees are their mistake not ours!!!

Anyone got any thoughts on this!!!

Last edited by sj oldfield; Mar 16th 2007 at 12:03 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:00 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pi##ed off already!!

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Pool should have started end of April, but at short notice they bought it forward. We worked like trojans moving the paving slabs ready for the dig.
We didnt have a pre sale inspection.............not sure if the pool company are in the wrong there, but the dig supervisor came round and said all was ok. Mick had moved the spa and the pergola (which took him ages to erect) to the far end of the garden.
We then get told we have to hire a 6 sqm bin for the grass...............only a small amount of grass but there you go. $250 already on top of the bill, even before it started. Then get told we have to hire boards to protect our drive. Another $260 before day one!! As far as I am concerned they should supply them, but once again, its a money making scam. My OH is a painter and decorator. He doesnt go round someones house and tell them that if they want their furniture and carpets protected they need to buy dust sheets!!!

Bobcat arrives 7am this morning. Promptly tell us pool isnt going to fit in the area they have placed in on the plan. It will have to be moved down by 2 metres............meaning Mick now has to move both the spa and the pergola. Hasnt got time to properly dismantle the spa so just pulls it down. The bobcat driver has allocated 5 hours, by now he has spent 2 hours sitting in my garden drinking tea whilst Mick is trying to clear the extra 2 metres they require.
Finally the bugger hits limestone...............but only at the far end, where he has moved the pool down by 2 metres!!! If the pool stayed in the original area we would have been all ok!!! He now has to stay longer and the order a huge truckfull of sand to line the bottom of the dig!!

He leaves us his bill............an extra 4 hours bobcat hire (through no fault of ours) $280 bill for the sand and a $600 bill for the 4 truckloads of soil that that he has taken away!!!
Think I might pay a visit to the pool company tommorrow, as all these added fees are their mistake not ours!!!

No thoughts but some calming karma and I think you should open a bottle!

Sam
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:04 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

The "dig" always seems to be the bit that costs extra in most cases. They budget on your garden being made of sand and anything harder costs more.

When we did ours the bobcat driver was working on two pool jobs at the same time (ours and one down the road) and charged us both a full day
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
No thoughts but some calming karma and I think you should open a bottle!

Sam
Cheers Sam................take the Karma but have to pass on the bottle!!!! Didnt lose anything at weight watchers this week so working extra hard for next week!!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Yep, fill in the hole and go for a swim in the sea
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by themerlin
The "dig" always seems to be the bit that costs extra in most cases. They budget on your garden being made of sand and anything harder costs more.

When we did ours the bobcat driver was working on two pool jobs at the same time (ours and one down the road) and charged us both a full day
Well they have met their match here!!! I was at work and I made Mick get the bobcat driver to write on the plans that the pool plan had not been completed correctly and made him sign it. Mick was going 'Whats the point' down the phone................I said 'just do it'
Now when I go in there tommorrow I have evidence to state that we didnt change our minds on the pool position, it was there balls up in the first place!!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Bobcat arrives 7am this morning. Promptly tell us pool isnt going to fit in the area they have placed in on the plan. It will have to be moved down by 2 metres............meaning Mick now has to move both the spa and the pergola. Hasnt got time to properly dismantle the pergola so just pulls it down. The bobcat driver has allocated 5 hours, by now he has spent 2 hours sitting in my garden drinking tea whilst Mick is trying to clear the extra 2 metres they require.

Need to read the contract!!

By my reckoning.. they really need to leave the place of work as they found it on day 1. Ie reinstatement costs etc.
As for extra hours and carting away of soil...they should have that already in the price, which I assume is a lump sum. They wear it , not you.

Last edited by Muzza04; Mar 16th 2007 at 12:52 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:52 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Need to read the contract!!

By my reckoning.. they really need to leave the place of work as they found it on day 1. Ie reinstatement costs etc.
As for extra hours and carting away of soil...they should have that already in the price, which I assume is a lump sum. They wear it , not you.
why dont you keep us all up to date with some pictures of the build as i for one would be intrested to just exactly what is going on ( i repair swimming pools and A/C in the UK )
cheers steve
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:32 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Pool companies = total unprofessional rip off bastards in the main.

Good companies are hard to find and not as common as we would think sadly although they no doubt exist, along with pigs that fly.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Did they give you a proper break-down of costs in the original quote?
If not then I would stop it all right now until you have a quote that is clear & all en-compassing - if they can't do that, then go to another company.
Don't let them screw you over!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you have to have council approval to change the location of your pool? I know when we were looking at building the pool company said we would have to submit the plans to council and get the permit before they could start.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:46 pm
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

Make sure when the bob cat bloke is slogging his balls off that you and you OH sit there watching him with plenty of beer smiling!

Im also a painter and decorator and would love it if people paid for dust sheets and moved their furniture!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:15 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

the only drama we had with the pool was at the very end. we have a pebblecrete finished pool and the last thing they do is gerni the whole thing down to expose the pebbles. there is a mixture of water and cement which turns into a heavy grey sludge then sets when it dries out. they are not allowed to put it down the drain so the clown who did our pool pumped it around the side of the house right on top of pavers which had just been laid. it buggered everything up and the mess took weeks to sort out. i was pissed off but what can you do when its done. got to keep your eyes on them.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by youngy73
the only drama we had with the pool was at the very end. we have a pebblecrete finished pool and the last thing they do is gerni the whole thing down to expose the pebbles. there is a mixture of water and cement which turns into a heavy grey sludge then sets when it dries out. they are not allowed to put it down the drain so the clown who did our pool pumped it around the side of the house right on top of pavers which had just been laid. it buggered everything up and the mess took weeks to sort out. i was pissed off but what can you do when its done. got to keep your eyes on them.
Been to the poo, show roomk today and kicked arses. Told them that within one day they have already taken us $1000 over budget.
The salesman also thought it was odd that we were told at the last minute to hire a bin for the grass..................that cost us almost $300.
He took Micks phone number and told him he would call him.
I promptly interrupted and told him that he is do deal with me only........and he didnt look too happy about that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 8:40 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go Sandra.
You do need to watch the extras they try to fleece you with. This is part of hubbies letter that he sent regarding our pool. Note, we have still not had a reply, other than to say they were looking into the matter.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366543

I think most of the big pool companyies are much of a muchness and you are just really lucky to get through it relatively unscathed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.