Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Phrase's that confuse people!

Wikiposts

Phrase's that confuse people!

Old May 11th 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Phrase's that confuse people!

I was just chatting to some girls at work and one wanted the other to leave for a cigarette downstairs. I said 'off you go Fag Ash Lil' and the looked at me like I was crazy!
Have you guys said something and left the people thinking WTF!!!
Old May 11th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phrase's that confuse people!

Yep- lots of times.

Chivvy someone along- had to explain what it meant.

A colleague was off on his hols and was in really good spirits, so I said ' you are demob happy'....cue completely blank look!
Old May 11th 2008, 4:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Portakabin.

Rota.

Buzzy
Old May 11th 2008, 5:17 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
I was just chatting to some girls at work and one wanted the other to leave for a cigarette downstairs. I said 'off you go Fag Ash Lil' and the looked at me like I was crazy!
Have you guys said something and left the people thinking WTF!!!
Well, perhaps it has something to do with the f word, that means cigarette in the UK but in the US of A it is a derogatory term for a homosexual man. I have seen quite a few, umm, misunderstandings in the bars LOL. "Did you just call me a fag?" - "No, learn to speak English you @#$%@" - POW - Ouch -- you get the picture.
Old May 11th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, when I've used the expression 'On Your / My Tod' people here have just looked blankly at me

Also.... asked my friend affectionately known as Ozzy Sue to put some thing on the 'kitchen side' she didn't have a clue what I meant. To us it sounds so self-explanatory....... but not to her or my sons girlfriend.

Old May 11th 2008, 5:56 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

People look at me like that anyway - I dont even have to say anything.
Old May 11th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

i speak fluent Glaswegian

people look at me like i am an idiot anyways

Old May 11th 2008, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newjersey
Well, perhaps it has something to do with the f word, that means cigarette in the UK but in the US of A it is a derogatory term for a homosexual man. I have seen quite a few, umm, misunderstandings in the bars LOL. "Did you just call me a fag?" - "No, learn to speak English you @#$%@" - POW - Ouch -- you get the picture.
I agree, I myself have copped the hump due to a linguistical misunderstanding, whilst up at a bar in the Sydney CBD, a guy offered 'apparently now, in all innocence' to push a stool in for me
Old May 11th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I agree, I myself have copped the hump due to a linguistical misunderstanding, whilst up at a bar in the Sydney CBD, a guy offered 'apparently now, in all innocence' to push a stool in for me
indeed.

everyone in my office seems perplexed when i use the word

"pish"

Old May 11th 2008, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
indeed.

everyone in my office seems perplexed when i use the word

"pish"

that's what they go for after 15 schooners

Had a falling out with one of my colleagues from Hartlepool last week, it was like story time with all the aussies gathered round as I explained what a 'monkey hanging @@@@ was
Old May 11th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stevenglish
that's what they go for after 15 schooners

Had a falling out with one of my colleagues from Hartlepool last week, it was like story time with all the aussies gathered round as I explained what a 'monkey hanging @@@@ was
LOL ... the old Spanish spy ...

Old May 11th 2008, 7:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I called someone a 'div' - blank expressions all round.
Old May 11th 2008, 7:35 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I called someone a 'div' - blank expressions all round.
Old May 11th 2008, 7:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
Have I just insulted you or does the face mean you don't know the word either?
Old May 11th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I wanna know what's a monkey hanging @@@@???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.