Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pets - how many have you acquired since moving to Australia?

Pets - how many have you acquired since moving to Australia?

Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:33 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets - how many have you acquired since moving to Australia?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We brought our two cats with us. Unfortunately, three months after they got out of quarantine one of the cats disappeared. He was a gorgeous British Shorthair and we are telling ourselves that somebody liked the look of him and took him and he is now living a happy life somewhere else.

So this left Edward by himself all day and we thought he needed some company so we got Rupert just before Christmas. They get along really well, better than the other two ever did. Rupert was a particularly playful kitten, he loved climbing espeically the tree, here he is at the very top. I just hope he doens't try it this year as he has turned into a fairly large cat.
Cats and xmas trees - we are unable to have a tree as 8kgs of Gordon thinks he can climb it, eat it, vomit it and shit it out.

Do you keep both of them indoors?

I must say that Emily is a royal pain in the arse, digging to come out of her cage at 5am every morning, takes a dump in Gordons litter box, gets a cuddle from me, Gordon chases her around the house thundering around like a fat person in a chocolate shop, she screams dramatically, I pick her up, she lies in my arms growling at the situation, then goes back in her cage.

I see a pattern emerging.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

We've acquired the two fur balls of super fluffynesses! My finger is shredded after getting the Furminator on Ozzi yesterday, not good as it was my shutter finger!

We got home last night to clumps of blonde fur around the house, they've obviously been having a bundle during the day.

These two are totally different to the UK cats we had, very different personalities. Tasha the girl is like a small naughty child who can't play with toys but has to be tampering with something she shouldn't be all the time, Ozzi is pretty good and loves his new mini AFL ball and he actually dribbles with it...thinking of getting him signed up with a club

We thought hard about getting a dog rather than cats again (would like both but not sure if the house is big enough!) but then dog ownership seems a lot more complicated than cats so we plumped for cats again. We had Burmese in the UK but wanted something different this time (I see a brown Burmese and I shed tears) and as all our friends have cat allergies we got these two Siberians....which although are mega fluffy don't affect people so much and it does seem to work!

It would be nice to get a dog one day as it will force me to leave this computer once in a while to take it for a walk but the cats are much easier to look after with our current lifestyle.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:00 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
We've acquired the two fur balls of super fluffynesses! My finger is shredded after getting the Furminator on Ozzi yesterday, not good as it was my shutter finger!

We got home last night to clumps of blonde fur around the house, they've obviously been having a bundle during the day.

These two are totally different to the UK cats we had, very different personalities. Tasha the girl is like a small naughty child who can't play with toys but has to be tampering with something she shouldn't be all the time, Ozzi is pretty good and loves his new mini AFL ball and he actually dribbles with it...thinking of getting him signed up with a club

We thought hard about getting a dog rather than cats again (would like both but not sure if the house is big enough!) but then dog ownership seems a lot more complicated than cats so we plumped for cats again. We had Burmese in the UK but wanted something different this time (I see a brown Burmese and I shed tears) and as all our friends have cat allergies we got these two Siberians....which although are mega fluffy don't affect people so much and it does seem to work!

It would be nice to get a dog one day as it will force me to leave this computer once in a while to take it for a walk but the cats are much easier to look after with our current lifestyle.
Apart from the shredded finger, how do you find the furminator? Mine should arrive tomorrow. Emily and Gordon like being combed and brushed but god knows what they will think of the furminator.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Cats and xmas trees - we are unable to have a tree as 8kgs of Gordon thinks he can climb it, eat it, vomit it and shit it out.

Do you keep both of them indoors?
Yes they are housecats. Rupert has never known any different and Edward only ever went out from time to time anyway just to sit in the garden.

Billy (who went missing) was always an outdoor cat, hated being inside. When he was about ten months old he escaped from an upstairs window that was left slightly ajar. He had never been outside before but he knew he needed to get out there.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi PP

The Furminator is really good at getting the hair out, I almost got a jumper out of our two the other day! The teeth seem to be a bit longer and get the undercoat out. Ours are having their first shedding and it's been amazing what's come out of them! Tash also had her first furball the other day so it's good to try and not let them lick out too much of it.

Ozzi sometimes likes being brushed and other times not and yesterday was obviously a "I don't want to be brushed day" but he was due to be done and I came off worse!

Problem is with our two their feet are so fluffy as well and they never sit still so claw cutting isn't done as much as it should be, I got the vet to do it last time and it took two of them to achieve the task! Maybe I should put sandpaper on the scratching post, they can file their own nails then
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by koalakim

Oooh you have a Siberian - so do we
I've never met anybody else with one.
Here is Bonny when she was little
Attached Thumbnails Pets - how many have you acquired since moving to Australia?-bonnypans2.jpg   Pets - how many have you acquired since moving to Australia?-bonny008.jpg  
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

If Charles wakes me up at 0200 by deciding that my face needs washing again I am no long going to have the Byford two, I will have the Byford ONE
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:49 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

It was someone up the road near the bush who claimed that. Maybe he has a rat problem.

Originally Posted by chris955
If you have Bilbies near you in Sydney you should contact the Parks and Wildlife as that is 1000's of k's outside their range
Old Oct 16th 2011, 2:28 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly but I can assure you he doesn't have a Bilby problem

Originally Posted by IvanM
It was someone up the road near the bush who claimed that. Maybe he has a rat problem.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Two guinea pigs, the standard economy version and the world's most expensive rodent. We got them about a month ago and one has already cost us $700 in vet bills for two surgeries. Hubby's workmates chide him that he could have bought 20 new pigs for what we've paid so far for the sick one.

My daughter loves them. After two years now of going to school on "talk about your pet day" and saying either "well, if I had a pet..." or "my little brother is kinda like a pet," she actually has the real thing.

Timbit

Pippin before his second surgery
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Timbit
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yeah, my sister-in-law said they should have been Timbit and Timtam just to cover both countries...oh well, next time...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:02 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Or an alcohol issue.

Originally Posted by chris955
Possibly but I can assure you he doesn't have a Bilby problem
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We had Korats in the UK and I had a blue burmese before i met my OH.

No pets here- daughter is allergic to cats.

We do have thousands of ants which I have found making a home for themselves in our hall window, which I have opened for the first time since last summer!

Also rabbits and bandicoots which dig up the whole garden, and a lovely big bluetongue who should be coming out to bask on the tiles.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Without getting the serum adults have been known to die. The Sydney funnel web is a particularly venomous variant and loves the area I live in. Mainly sulphur crested and in huge numbers. We have to use small seeds otherwise they would mass and eat the house.

where do you live and what small seeds? we are moving to Syd with a cat and I've told her not to touch the spideys, although she is champion spidey catcher in SCotland... bit worried actually...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.