Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Petrol or Diesel 4x4

Petrol or Diesel 4x4

Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Petrol or Diesel 4x4

Hi Everyone,

I am moving over to Perth soon and want a 4x4 for everyday use and camping etc, will probably only be able to afford one car so it needs to be suitable for everything I am going to do.

My question is do I get Diesel or Petrol, oh and Auto or Manual, I used to have a Petrol Pajero and god did it drink the juice, I also had a Diesel pajero, to be honest that wasnt much better around the town but had good mileage on long drives.

Your experiences would be good if you have had either, and please no 4x4 bashers I am after advice not a fight.

Thanks guys,
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol or Diesel 4x4

I have got a Mitsubishi Delica (imported 4X4) diesel. I wish I had got the petrol model and done the gas convertion as the goverment were giving you $2k to do it (they still might be?) Diesel is about $1.39 per litre here in Melbourne, ULP is sitting at about 98 cents at the moment.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Ahh ok, I have never fancied doing the LPG conversion so wont bother with that.
I must admit I am tempted to go for petrol, the price per litre is cheaper, and petrol engines are easier to work on and service myself.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by philnorris
I must admit I am tempted to go for petrol, the price per litre is cheaper, and petrol engines are easier to work on and service myself.
don't rush try a LPG first.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billymacker
If I can find a Pajero or Triton with LPG all ready fitted I will buy one, but its not some thing I would want fitting afterwards. Saying that, I have not noticed any of the Pajeros I have looked at so far actually have LPG fitted.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

If I can find a Pajero or Triton with LPG all ready fitted I will buy one, but its not some thing I would want fitting afterwards. Saying that, I have not noticed any of the Pajeros I have looked at so far actually have LPG fitted.
Where are you here in perth i would say 6 out of 10 petrol 4x4s are LPG
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

For running costs - go for dual fuel. Definitely. Can't really complain when it costs less than $40 to fill the gas tank on our Patrol - all 4.8 litres of it.

And definitely Auto. I was dead against getting an Auto, but having driven it now for over 12 months and taken it off road I have changed my mind completely.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 3:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

4.8 litres? WOW massive tank! But I think you're being ripped for the price
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
4.8 litres? WOW massive tank! But I think you're being ripped for the price
Old Jan 6th 2009, 5:45 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Had a petrol LandCruiser and loved it... Got a diesel Navara and wished it was petrol... Now given the Navara to an employee and looking at another LandCruiser...

The price difference between petrol and diesel means you save nothing with the extra fuel economy of the diesel... but you get more noise and less performance...

LPG is deffo worth a look if you're doing some distance and fuel is readily available. The savings are nowhere near what they were now that petrol is down to under $1 most places... don't forget that LPG fuel consumption is a good bit higher than petrol...
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
Agree you on that, and about 46 cents a ltr, compaired to 97 cents for ulp or $1.30 for diesel.
The only people iv'e heard complain about LPG are the ones that don't have it

John
Old Jan 6th 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I have had LPG before but that was on the Ford Exploder, hence it exploded, I know its not the same with all LPG system but it really put me off.

Looking in to it more given the cost of Diesel vs Petrol, and Servicing a diesel vs a petrol, Petrol is definatley the way to go, plus they seem to be slightly cheaper to buy.

Thanks everyeone,
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:40 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Its got to be a V8 Disco, best 4x4xfar
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Had a petrol LandCruiser and loved it... Got a diesel Navara and wished it was petrol... Now given the Navara to an employee and looking at another LandCruiser...

The price difference between petrol and diesel means you save nothing with the extra fuel economy of the diesel... but you get more noise and less performance...

LPG is deffo worth a look if you're doing some distance and fuel is readily available. The savings are nowhere near what they were now that petrol is down to under $1 most places... don't forget that LPG fuel consumption is a good bit higher than petrol...
Originally Posted by hevs
I have got a Mitsubishi Delica (imported 4X4) diesel. I wish I had got the petrol model and done the gas convertion as the goverment were giving you $2k to do it (they still might be?) Diesel is about $1.39 per litre here in Melbourne, ULP is sitting at about 98 cents at the moment.
I went for diesel 5 years ago as I figured the lower consumption would just beat the price difference. Now I don't know and haven't got around to working it out. I paid 1.24 for diesel yesterday. I get around 100/10l in a 4x4 ute so I'm happy.

Part of it was the strength and longetivity of the diesel engine.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:50 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I went for diesel 5 years ago as I figured the lower consumption would just beat the price difference. Now I don't know and haven't got around to working it out. I paid 1.24 for diesel yesterday. I get around 100/10l in a 4x4 ute so I'm happy.

Part of it was the strength and longetivity of the diesel engine.
I am getting around 100/9l in a near 3 tonne Prado diesel (around city driving) Open road have got down further. But without even looking at figures I fill up once a month my brother driving a V8 200 fills up fortnightly doing the same mileage (both qty and city).

It was 4 Litre V6 versus Diesel in our decision.

The Turbo Diesel pulls better and suits my driving - if you want too hoon off at the lights and drag the hatchs then go for the petrol.

Diesel - not for drag racing
Petrol - cheaper rate at pump
Diesel - more frequent and higher cost of servicing.
Diesel - remembering what a petrol pump is
Petrol - remembering not too use the diesel pump
Diesel - better for towing
Diesel - slight noise level helps baby daughter drift off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.