Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

Wikiposts

Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

Kevin Rudd (Labor PM) feels that Peter Costello (last Liberal Treasurer) is the best person around to look after major finances.

So much so, that he has employed Peter Costello to manage the multi billion dollar Future Fund.

At least the Politicians super is now being managed by someone that Rudd considers good enough and well experienced for the job. But leave to country to Wayne Swan..

hmmmm...

Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:08 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

Costello was an excellent choice and I'm glad that he accepted. This is arguably the best appointment Rudd has made since he won the top job. It's certainly a great example of bipartisan pragmatism.

Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:20 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Costello was an excellent choice and I'm glad that he accepted. This is arguably the best appointment Rudd has made since he won the top job. It's certainly a great example of bipartisan pragmatism.

I rather liked Rudd's comment today "If this appointment has upset Paul Keating and upset Malcolm Turnbull, then it must have been the right one" or words to that effect...

S
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Kevin Rudd (Labor PM) feels that Peter Costello (last Liberal Treasurer) is the best person around to look after major finances.

So much so, that he has employed Peter Costello to manage the multi billion dollar Future Fund.

At least the Politicians super is now being managed by someone that Rudd considers good enough and well experienced for the job. But leave to country to Wayne Swan..

hmmmm...
It's a good move although I'd rather he was leader of the opposition and a future PM.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:52 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me what Costello did that makes him such a good economic manager...and I mean more so his actions rather then the outcomes...i.e. not that he built up a big surplus, but how he did it?

Looking at the stats, in the period post the early 90s recession (93-96) the economy grew at an average 4.2% pa. The average growth over the Costello era was 3.6%...with the highest numbers in the first 2 years of his rule.

People often talk about 'the boom' but in a lot of those 'boom' years the economy as a whole was growing just close to the long term trend, or in fact below it. Let's assume Qld and WA were actually booming, what was the rest of the country doing - did Costello preside over a 2 speed economy?

I sometimes think policy made in Beijing and New Delhi had more to do with his success than anything else?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Can anyone tell me what Costello did that makes him such a good economic manager...and I mean more so his actions rather then the outcomes...i.e. not that he built up a big surplus, but how he did it?

Looking at the stats, in the period post the early 90s recession (93-96) the economy grew at an average 4.2% pa. The average growth over the Costello era was 3.6%...with the highest numbers in the first 2 years of his rule.

People often talk about 'the boom' but in a lot of those 'boom' years the economy as a whole was growing just close to the long term trend, or in fact below it. Let's assume Qld and WA were actually booming, what was the rest of the country doing - did Costello preside over a 2 speed economy?

I sometimes think policy made in Beijing and New Delhi had more to do with his success than anything else?
That's what Kevin Rudd used to say, before the election, but he seems to have changed his mind

Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's what Kevin Rudd used to say, before the election, but he seems to have changed his mind
As you say, it makes people think well of him...you know a new breed of bi-partisan politician...oh isn't it wonderful! A bit like Tony Blair inviting Mrs T to No. 10 for a cup of tea and a chat!

I'm not saying I think Costello was a bad treasurer, I'm just yet to be sold on what was so good about him.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:26 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

Can anyone tell me what Costello did that makes him such a good economic manager...
Name three Treasurers in the last 100 years who successfully paid off a 30-year federal government debt.

Hint: there's only one.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Name three Treasurers in the last 100 years who successfully paid off a 30-year federal government debt.

Hint: there's only one.
The question I asked though was how did he achieve that?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a good move although I'd rather he was leader of the opposition and a future PM.
Ditto
Old Nov 1st 2009, 7:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Peter Costello is excellent in Finance

The question I asked though was how did he achieve that?
(a) Sale of government assets (including the lame dog Telstra), (b) riding the minerals boom, (c) financial policies designed to stimulate the economy (ie. 1st home owner's grant) and (d) careful spending.