Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Perth - boring or what

Perth - boring or what

Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - boring or what

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Hey NB. Don't get sucked in to these kind of threads.
You should know better by now!
I just can't help myself mate
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:54 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
AH, here comes my pizza....... anyone wanna share....
mmm, lovely. any left Polly.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:55 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlbieLittle
As long as the chimp doesn't choose a Herbie Hancock record its all good
I thought that was quite amusing
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I thought that was quite amusing
I did too!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:21 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but Perth is fun , even next doors cat likes to party
Attached Thumbnails Perth - boring or what-cat_135.jpg  
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:25 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Yeah and there are plenty of scrapbooking classes, there's sure to be one near you

I'll have a small please Polly, I'm on a diet
unfortunately i cant find a scrapbooking class ,so ive had to settle for a Rose pruning night instead and its opened a whole new meaning and depth to my life instead of standing in a bar getting sloshed .
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:58 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi,
I Before you say why don't you leave - I am tied to a relocation contract that I cannot afford to break.

Cheers
Xabi
I would ask why did you go in the first place? It wouldn't take much research to discover that if you wanted to go clubbing every night Perth probably wasn't the place to go. I think its unfair to use the word boring - I don't want to move to Perth because it doesn't have the variety that I saw in other parts of Oz and we're not excessively sporty - but its not boring to people who hate shopping, enjoy sports and like chilled evenings spent with friends and family.

Basically its not Perth's fault you are unhappy its yours and I wish more people would stop blaming places for their unhappiness - life is what YOU make it - get some friends and go to an empty pub on a week night you might start a trend!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back to Adelaide after a week in Perth and found it anything but boring. My kids and I spent the days walking around the beach or the city while my husband was at work. I met up with a bunch of women for lunch on Thursday. My kids learned to surf on Friday and Saturday morning. We went looking at land and show homes on Saturday afternoon. Sunday was spent as a family enjoying each other's company. Maybe boring for some, but then I'm an old lady who enjoys time with her family more than going to a club.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:20 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

I think Perth is very exciting!! I once stopped at a public house there for half a shandy on my way to a stamp collectors conference. The bar was still open at 5pm!!! i was quite lightheaded, i had to go home and get my mum to make me a stong coffee. A girl once spoke to me on the bus, that was more than exciting but it made me too nervous so i had to get off the bus from fear of having an accident. I cannot imagine any better than perth if it is fun and excitement you crave, believe me. Viva PerthVegas!!!!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:31 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

wheres perth?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:48 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I would ask why did you go in the first place? It wouldn't take much research to discover that if you wanted to go clubbing every night Perth probably wasn't the place to go. I think its unfair to use the word boring - I don't want to move to Perth because it doesn't have the variety that I saw in other parts of Oz and we're not excessively sporty - but its not boring to people who hate shopping, enjoy sports and like chilled evenings spent with friends and family.

Basically its not Perth's fault you are unhappy its yours and I wish more people would stop blaming places for their unhappiness - life is what YOU make it - get some friends and go to an empty pub on a week night you might start a trend!

here here

And my last comment (ok, well, I'll try!) I don't like sports. All I do is walk the dog.
Just to make the point that Perth is definitely not just for people who are sporty! My husband doesn't sport either(not into watching it either), neither are our friends (most).
Ha, not that it is a good thing not to be into sports, but anyway...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Hi
I did research before coming here. I also made the point in my first post that Perth has good points too. The major bad point is that it is dull. Perth is constantly compared to Brisbane - from my trip to Brissie it seemed an awful lot more lively there.
Just on an aside, Perth is a city of roughly 1.5 million people. It is difficult to understand/justify how the place shuts down ouside of regular hours - other cities in OZ don't. I think the local government here have to be held responsible. I can site many examples - 1) Australia V Brazil in the soccer world cup - Federation square in Melbourne jammed, Sydney the same - Perth - leave the pub and have to walk home - not 1 taxi to be found. 2) Grand final day - a Perth team contesting - one would expect the pubs to be thronged - unfortunately that was not the case whatsoever. You can do all the research in the world but things like this shouldn't require research - it is common sense that in a city of its size that there would be more life for such large national occassions. As for moving here, I was lucky enough to have a job lined up. Wouldn't have come to OZ otherwise - this way I had the chance to sample OZ without having to do poor paying jobs - so it was partly a career move. Obviously my options were limited as I didnt have the relevant vias.

By the way I am not talking about going clubbing every night either - I am talking about the option of going to a pub every now and again - in the middle of the week and having a bit of life in the place.

Last edited by xabialonso; Apr 30th 2007 at 1:12 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I haven't been to Perth so can't comment on what it is like. Perhaps you need to look at the good points of your move and plan what you would like to do next. You were very lucky to have a job lined up and now you've experienced the area and have decided that you don't like it and find it boring, you should do some research into where you are going to go next.

There are lots of people that seem to love it there. Personally I don't think it would be the place for me either but I haven't been there. It sounds as though Perth doesn't have what you want so when you can, you should look into moving to a place that does.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi
I did research before coming here. I also made the point in my first post that Perth has good points too. The major bad point is that it is dull. Perth is constantly compared to Brisbane - from my trip to Brissie it seemed an awful lot more lively there.
Just on an aside, Perth is a city of roughly 1.5 million people. It is difficult to understand/justify how the place shuts down ouside of regular hours - other cities in OZ don't. I think the local government here have to be held responsible. I can site many examples - 1) Australia V Brazil in the soccer world cup - Federation square in Melbourne jammed, Sydney the same - Perth - leave the pub and have to walk home - not 1 taxi to be found. 2) Grand final day - a Perth team contesting - one would expect the pubs to be thronged - unfortunately that was not the case whatsoever. You can do all the research in the world but things like this shouldn't require research - it is common sense that in a city of its size that there would be more life for such large national occassions. As for moving here, I was lucky enough to have a job lined up. Wouldn't have come to OZ otherwise - this way I had the chance to sample OZ without having to do poor paying jobs - so it was partly a career move. Obviously my options were limited as I didnt have the relevant vias.

By the way I am not talking about going clubbing every night either - I am talking about the option of going to a pub every now and again - in the middle of the week and having a bit of life in the place.
Perth doesn't have a great pub culture, thats true. But surly that isn't all there is to enjoying youself and not being bored. Nobody likes a few beers more then me and I do miss being able to pop to the local for a pint during the week, especially as my MIL owned my local but Perth has so much more to offer towards a great quality family life that sacrificing the pub culture is more then worth it. You can always have friends around for a few beers and a laugh.
Tracie
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:39 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

jeez,,i have changed my mind about perth its not for me...

if there aren't any wetherspoons where am i going to spend my giro..:
confused:

Last edited by aston man; Apr 30th 2007 at 1:44 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.