British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   perth bashing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/perth-bashing-439038/)

aston man Apr 1st 2007 6:00 am

perth bashing

not having the pleasure of living in perth and reading this forum for well over a year now,how come perth seems to cop for more flack than anywhere else in oz?
is it that more people have been there than anywhere else?
or is it as bad as people say...?

strange that you dont get other people from other places in oz coming on here and slating the life out of where they live or lived?

my friend who has just travelled all round australia and lived in sydney has just come back here to the u.k and thinks that perth is the best place he went to,hes going to settle there and start a family shortly...

hey chaps ,i am not trying to wind anyone up,i just wondered why perth ?

Fat Bloke Apr 1st 2007 6:11 am

Re: perth bashing

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4587988)
not having the pleasure of living in perth and reading this forum for well over a year now,how come perth seems to cop for more flack than anywhere else in oz?
is it that more people have been there than anywhere else?
or is it as bad as people say...?

strange that you dont get other people from other places in oz coming on here and slating the life out of where they live or lived?

my friend who has just travelled all round australia and lived in sydney has just come back here to the u.k and thinks that perth is the best place he went to,hes going to settle there and start a family shortly...

hey chaps ,i am not trying to wind anyone up,i just wondered why perth ?

I did go to Perth once and it was closed.

aston man Apr 1st 2007 7:24 am

hey fats,i dont know where your from,so could i ask,what does your new home town offer me that perth doesn't?
i am a bricklayer with a young family ...

thank you

karenjc Apr 1st 2007 7:57 am

The one thing i noticed was working with Aussie's who come from all over Oz, Perth came in for a lot of bashing. At first i just thought it was regional pride but it comes from all quarters and most people were saying the same kind of things. We have never been and even with all the stuff that has been said to me it's still a place within Oz that i wish to go to.

Sam Apr 1st 2007 8:31 am

Don't know why it receives such a bashing :confused:

I live in Perth and i don't see the problem,

Yes it is quiet (some parts)

Yes it does have its problem areas (like the UK, actually like every country in the world)

Yes the shops in general are closed on a Sunday (so what, it means we spend more quality time together as a family, happily i might add)

I think you need to come here with an open mind,

No its not the UK

No its not anything like you can even imagine in the UK

No your friends and family are not around the corner to help you in a crisis (unless your lucky)

But

We like it

The kids like it

The weather is good, people are nice

Like i say....

Keep an open mind!!

Oh just to add...

We'd never been here before we emigrated either!

We have no family over here or friends (apart from the ones we've made)

Fat Bloke Apr 1st 2007 10:16 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4588083)
hey fats,i dont know where your from,so could i ask,what does your new home town offer me that perth doesn't?
i am a bricklayer with a young family ...

thank you

I live at Wilston which is a stones throw from the Brisbane CBD and one of the more affluent suburbs of brisbane, for example the state premier Peter Beattie lives on my road and the lord mayor Campbell Newman lives nearby.

The reason we chose the suburb was its location location location.......

Perth holds no attraction for me as it is just way too isolated and thought of by the rest of Australia as hicksville, this is a reputation that puts me off big time.

I am sure those who live there are happy but it is the old analogy of the goldfish who lives in a bowl and has never swum in the ocean.

Where are you headed mate?

nickyjohnt Apr 1st 2007 10:21 am

Have you ever been to Perth Fat bloke ?

Nicky

Fat Bloke Apr 1st 2007 10:30 am

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 4588441)
Have you ever been to Perth Fat bloke ?

Nicky

No but I have never been to Brazzaville or Jerusalem either but I just know I would not like them.

aston man Apr 1st 2007 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke (Post 4588434)
I live at Wilston which is a stones throw from the Brisbane CBD and one of the more affluent suburbs of brisbane, for example the state premier Peter Beattie lives on my road and the lord mayor Campbell Newman lives nearby.

The reason we chose the suburb was its location location location.......

Perth holds no attraction for me as it is just way too isolated and thought of by the rest of Australia as hicksville, this is a reputation that puts me off big time.

I am sure those who live there are happy but it is the old analogy of the goldfish who lives in a bowl and has never swum in the ocean.

Where are you headed mate?

i am living in a rented sihthole at the moment but we do have a lapdancer a few doors down,,,

why does perth make people so angry,i dont live in coventry but i dont spend all my time on forums,when i live in such a beautiful place next to a lap dancer,telling people how shite coventry is(sorry all who live in coventry,its the first place that sprung to mind),i tend not to give a shite about anywhere i dont live.

Scott Apr 1st 2007 11:38 am

The more ppl who " bash " Perth , the more it makes me wanna go see for myself .

i tend to think the more ppl don't go , the better it will be cuz it won't be so crowded & more jobs to pick from .

but i am a way off making those decisions yet anyway , so nearer the time i change my mind .

i dunno , never been

nickyjohnt Apr 1st 2007 12:38 pm

Perth is lovely ! dont let people try & put you off from moving here. Especially people that have never even been here !! :confused:

Nicky

worzel Apr 1st 2007 12:44 pm

1. Perth is quieter than Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane. People that like those places don't like Perth (or Adelaide for that matter) cos they find them slower-paced. Those of us who like Perth often hate those 3 for the opposite reason. If you have a younger family, especially, Perth is a great place to bring them up.

2. There are a lot of people on here that are coming to Perth. It is good Aussie manners to wind your mates up so there is plenty of material on here.

3. Those of us that live in Perth like to perpetuate the myth that Perth is backwards. We don't want those people from over east that will jump to a conclusion they don't like somewhere without going there living next door to us!

Amazulu Apr 1st 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by scott&rachel (Post 4588622)
The more ppl who " bash " Perth , the more it makes me wanna go see for myself .

i tend to think the more ppl don't go , the better it will be cuz it won't be so crowded & more jobs to pick from .

but i am a way off making those decisions yet anyway , so nearer the time i change my mind .

i dunno , never been

Good attitude. I'm glad Perth is getting slagged. Means less Poms coming here, which will be a good thing. Hopefully the Pommy Legoland enclaves in the Northern Suburbs will get smaller. Only Poms who want to integrate will be welcome in the future!

BadgeIsBack Apr 1st 2007 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 4588828)
Good attitude. I'm glad Perth is getting slagged. Means less Poms coming here, which will be a good thing. Hopefully the Pommy Legoland enclaves in the Northern Suburbs will get smaller. Only Poms who want to integrate will be welcome in the future!

Perth as it is portrayed here is a constant source of amusement for me. I have been there - I'm glad - and I had no real problems with it but prefer one of Melbourne or actually....maybe even Adelaide. There's no doubt it seems to attract or create problems at times, and I think its sometimes not Perth's fault. Maybe the high prices will keep the riff-raff out...

I'd live there (Perth) but only in Kalamundra. Never been but I can picture it. Sorry zulu(!)

ub40fan Apr 1st 2007 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke (Post 4588434)

So because I live in Perth and am actually very happy here it means I haven't lived anywhere else - what a load of total and utter rubbish. Until you have been here and lived here you should not

a. Judge those of us who do

b. Slag off a place you have no experience of.

I have lived in Scotland (very wet), Northern Ireland (even wetter) England (still wet), Germany (Not as wet but very snowy in winter) and Hong Kong (Nice typhoons) and I like Perth because it offers me a slower pace than the cities of Berlin and Hong Kong.

You are one of those people whose opinion is always right (NOT) and who cannot accept that people like different things.

You don't like Perth - that's fine by me, more space and peace for me and mine. I'd rather people like you with your ignorant attitude didn't come here.