Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Permanent hours, casual pay and mortgage!

Permanent hours, casual pay and mortgage!

Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice
Default Permanent hours, casual pay and mortgage!

Hi can anyone clear this up for me?
Just been offered a full time job as a dental assistant 9-5pm monday to Friday permanent hours and days!! but all staff are employed as casuals! is this normal? it is a well run professional practice over 3 different sites and all the staff are casual, one lady has been casual for 15 years! so where do i stand with getting a mortgage? hubby still out of work and when he does get back to it he will be self employed therefore difficult to get a mortgage on his wage so i've gone back full time to get us back on our feet, but am i going to sh*t out as i'm not permanent??
Cheers Claire.x
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Permanent hours, casual pay and mortgage!

Talk to a Mortgage broker, as long as your income is OK, then I am sure they will fit you in with a suitable lender.

After all, many Australians work in industries where it is normal to be casually employed, on an almost permanent basis.

Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazclaire View Post
Hi can anyone clear this up for me?
Just been offered a full time job as a dental assistant 9-5pm monday to Friday permanent hours and days!! but all staff are employed as casuals! is this normal? it is a well run professional practice over 3 different sites and all the staff are casual, one lady has been casual for 15 years! so where do i stand with getting a mortgage? hubby still out of work and when he does get back to it he will be self employed therefore difficult to get a mortgage on his wage so i've gone back full time to get us back on our feet, but am i going to sh*t out as i'm not permanent??
Cheers Claire.x

sounds bloomin good hrs, like anything there is pros and cons, working casual as a nurse i get 11 bucks more per hour, but no paid holidays, but can work around the kids, i also have a part-time permanent job to get benefit of paid hols. Casual work is not guaranteed, even if they tell you 'oh you'll always get a shift', i got my shift for today cancelled yesterday which i was pissed off about as i could've picked up more hrs at my permanent job if i'd known earlier, but these are the breaks with casual work.

As abc says as i think you'll be ok for a mortgage depending on income , but may have to go through a broker.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Casual is very common here. I am permanent part time and every now and then am asked if I want to change to casual. There's not much in it, what you gain with better hourly rate, you don't get sick or holiday pay so year end it works out much the same. However, having the British frame of mind in job security, I prefer to stay permanent but another colleague chose to be casual. You shouldn't have a problem getting a mortgage.