Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

People who bully learner drivers.

People who bully learner drivers.

Old May 5th 2012, 11:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People who bully learner drivers.

Originally Posted by Grayling
Brisbane drivers must be the worst in the world.
I can only assume you've never driven in Athens, Paris, Cairo, much of Italy and the list can go on and on and on.
Old May 5th 2012, 12:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I can only assume you've never driven in Athens, Paris, Cairo, much of Italy and the list can go on and on and on.
Don't need to

Seems like all the worst drivers emigrated from those places and moved to Brisbane.......then they must have copied the locals and got worse
Old May 6th 2012, 1:51 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
At least they indicate. I never figured that one out until I saw a police car indicate RIGHT around a bend where I was waiting to turn into from a side road.
The law says they shouldn't indicate. Imagine how quick they would pull you over if the situation was reversed .
My assumption is that you either don't know the road rules or tend to ignore them too. There should be zero tolerance for police that don't know the road rules.
Old May 6th 2012, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brissybee
Kid has got L plates. I am astounded at how many people bully, toot and deliberately intimidate learner drivers.

As well as seeing the learner harassed, husband and I have been given the same treatment at times when we've forgotten to remove the L plates.

What happened to civility?
I'm quite surprised at this actually. When we came back and I had a hire car with the birds on it, I found people were a bit more forgiving of me if in the wrong lane or whatever.

The P people however are another matter. The corner near me has a 15kph limit, when they're all on the way back from school I see them going at least 50 round there. One of them went straight into a carport the other month as going too fast to take the corner!
Old May 6th 2012, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
The law says they shouldn't indicate. Imagine how quick they would pull you over if the situation was reversed .
My assumption is that you either don't know the road rules or tend to ignore them too. There should be zero tolerance for police that don't know the road rules.

Show me the Law that states you shouldn't indicate when going around a bend.

I am qualified as a driver trainer in QLD. I do know the rules of the road here.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 6th 2012 at 5:53 am.
Old May 6th 2012, 5:57 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane drivers seem like they are on pot. Sydney drivers are often from those cities.
Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Old May 6th 2012, 7:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You have little choice when the little shits are 3 ft from your rear bumper at 110 Kph
That's the time I tend to "see" a hazard on the road in front of me and have to hit the brakes.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:19 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You have little choice when the little shits are 3 ft from your rear bumper at 110 Kph
We've just driven back from Cleveland to Gympie. Once the Bruce hits Cooroy there are only 3 short overtaking lanes still open the rest of the road is zoned as no crossing the centre lines. We had a P plater so close to our rear bumper we couldn't see his bonnet for most of that distance. He was towing a boat as well so didn't have the power to overtake. Deb backed off but he still didn't have the speed to get passed. Didn't stop him from sitting on our bumper. I've no idea how that makes us bad drivers though.
Old May 6th 2012, 8:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Didn't stop him from sitting on our bumper. I've no idea how that makes us bad drivers though.
Because, apparently, you have to Observe and avoid
Old May 6th 2012, 8:27 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Because, apparently, you have to Observe and avoid
Well I suppose we could have stopped & let him pass but he'd have been replaced with another within seconds. Stop & let that one pass so on & so forth. I'd need to leave for work three days before I got up using that logic
Old May 6th 2012, 8:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Well I suppose we could have stopped & let him pass but he'd have been replaced with another within seconds. Stop & let that one pass so on & so forth. I'd need to leave for work three days before I got up using that logic
I think some people just do not understand what some of these beginners, in powerful cars, can be like, especially on country roads.

In my experience some of the worst offenders are young girls
Old May 6th 2012, 8:52 am

I think some people just do not understand what some of these beginners, in powerful cars, can be like, especially on country roads.

In my experience some of the worst offenders are young girls
It's so much harder for them though as the make up mirror doesn't show what's behind, they have to multi task by changing gear while applying eye liner & trying to text their mates at the same time as doing their hair.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Show me the Law that states you shouldn't indicate when going around a bend.
I indicate when I feel I need to - especially if there might be doubt.

The only time I try to stick to the book is going around roundabouts - and even then depending on the circumstance I might indicate when there is no need to - IF IF it makes my intention explicit and there is potential for confusion. For example, if I am going straight on at 12pm and there is a car waiting at 11am...I will indicate right so that the person waiting knows I plan to cross their path....and then I will indicate left to take the exit once I cross them.

There are a lot of roundabouts around here and people use them well - never had an issue.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by andrew63
I can't imagine the need to indicate right to go straight on either, quite incorrect to do so & confusing to other road users. I can imagine entering the roundabout then indicating left as you reach the desired exit. I do that as a matter of course as it's how I was taught to drive. Unless the road markings direct you otherwise I'd be in the left hand lane for the first exit left or straight on & the right hand lane for a right turn.
Roundabouts here seem like they are a fairly new concept, there were very few 10 years ago. They seem to confuse quite a few Aussie over 40's, no I'll clarify to Queensland over 40's as the majority of my experience is here.
Old May 6th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine the need to indicate right to go straight on either, quite incorrect to do so & confusing to other road users. I can imagine entering the roundabout then indicating left as you reach the desired exit. I do that as a matter of course as it's how I was taught to drive. Unless the road markings direct you otherwise I'd be in the left hand lane for the first exit left or straight on & the right hand lane for a right turn.
Roundabouts here seem like they are a fairly new concept, there were very few 10 years ago. They seem to confuse quite a few Aussie over 40's, no I'll clarify to Queensland over 40's as the majority of my experience is here.
This is what I do - in general. But some of the smaller roundabouts are only a single car's width (moreorless) and I believe that if you are indicating, you are saying to people - 'WATCH OUT I PLAN TO MOVE THIS WAY' (or stay on the roundabout).

Down here in VIC where we are, the skill level on roundabouts is the same as the UK.

As for chaotic driving, I wonder if people have driven in a place like Mexico City. Australia's worst drivers have nothing on the usual standard there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.