Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are people sharing too much of themselves in public?

Wikiposts

Are people sharing too much of themselves in public?

Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:26 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Question Are people sharing too much of themselves in public?

Over recent years we've seen popular sites grow such as Facebook, Twiter, Linked in, blog sites and various other ways to communicate and share private details with all an sundry.

What is it with sharing all your private details? Perhaps it's me and I don't "get it" . Are they a good thing or a bad thing? Can these be used in the wrong way and privacy be compromised and if so, why aren't people worried about that
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people sharing too much of themselves in public?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Over recent years we've seen popular sites grow such as Facebook, Twiter, Linked in, blog sites and various other ways to communicate and share private details with all an sundry.

What is it with sharing all your private details? Perhaps it's me and I don't "get it" . Are they a good thing or a bad thing? Can these be used in the wrong way and privacy be compromised and if so, why aren't people worried about that
I agree with you. I cannot believe some of the personal dilemas that are put on forums. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but in my book family matters are just that, they are resolved in the family, not in a public forum.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:56 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I agree with you. I cannot believe some of the personal dilemas that are put on forums. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but in my book family matters are just that, they are resolved in the family, not in a public forum.
Actually I wasn't talking about sharing things anonomously Gibbo. Personally I don't see any problem with that. Sometimes it's to gain a difference of opinion to weigh up all the pros and cons and sometimes it's because some people have no one else to talk to or ask - in fact there's a miriad of reasons.

What I'm talking about is where people put their address out there for everyone to see or they share very personal details that are not anonymous and can be traced back. It's this stuff that I mean
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I wasn't talking about sharing things anonomously Gibbo. Personally I don't see any problem with that. Sometimes it's to gain a difference of opinion to weigh up all the pros and cons and sometimes it's because some people have no one else to talk to or ask - in fact there's a miriad of reasons.

What I'm talking about is where people put their address out there for everyone to see or they share very personal details that are not anonymous and can be traced back. It's this stuff that I mean
That I think is very foolish. Cynical I maybe but there are too many people out there these days that are only too happy to take advantage!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gibbo
That I think is very foolish. Cynical I maybe but there are too many people out there these days that are only too happy to take advantage!
Maybe we are saying the same thing?

People can take advantage if they are able to use information against you that you provided in the first place.

Perhaps I'm too cynical too
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:13 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we are saying the same thing?

People can take advantage if they are able to use information against you that you provided in the first place.

Perhaps I'm too cynical too
http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=793621

watching watching watching
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Ummmm maybe this is something slightly different Geelong Gent.

The damage caused here was due to someone knowing someone elses address who was in the public eye. However I agree, even in the public eye there are some things that should be private if this is possible.

What I'm talking about is people having conversations publicly and identifyiing themselves from a private perspective including full name, photo's and such like.

Ahhhh maybe it's me and I'm paranoid
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter read a relatively new release a few months ago

By Ben Elton I think

In it, apparently, he details a future world, in which people will have no conception of privacy at all

And the moral of the book appears to be that the groundwork for this future state of affairs has been put in place by the powers-that-be, utilizing things like Facebook, Myspace, etc.

The theory appears to be that it will only take one or two generations of Facebook and Myspace users to eradicate the sense of privacy we take for granted today.

And it appears to be working according to plan.

Not only that, I read in the news recently that using Facebook/Myspace etc. permanently alters the brain.

This conclusion was reached by researchers who conducted scans etc. on the brains of children who used Facebook type sites.

To have initiated the above research, the researchers must have had good reason to suspect their research would confirm their suspicions.

In the meantime, users of Facebook type sites appear to have already jettisoned concepts such as personal privacy .. for them, 'privacy' must hold small reward and 'faux celebrity' must be the motivation.

Maybe that's why we don't hear it said much any longer that ' Familiarity breeds contempt ' ... for it would undermine the ' 15 minutes of fame' philosophy which seems to motivate people to reveal their private lives in public.

Worrying trend ? Or our grandchildrens' future ?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by folic

By Ben Elton I think

In it, apparently, he details a future world, in which people will have no conception of privacy at all

And the moral of the book appears to be that the groundwork for this future state of affairs has been put in place by the powers-that-be, utilizing things like Facebook, Myspace, etc.

The theory appears to be that it will only take one or two generations of Facebook and Myspace users to eradicate the sense of privacy we take for granted today.

Not only that, I read in the news recently that using Facebook/Myspace etc. permanently alters the brain.

This conclusion was reached by researchers who conducted scans etc. on the brains of children who used Facebook type sites.

To have initiated the above research, the researchers must have had good reason to suspect their research would confirm their suspicions.

In the meantime, users of Facebook type sites appear to have already jettisoned concepts such as personal privacy .. for them, 'privacy' must hold small reward and 'faux celebrity' must be the motivation.

Maybe that's why we don't hear it said much any longer that ' Familiarity breeds contempt ' ... for it would undermine the ' 15 minutes of fame' philosophy which seems to motivate people to reveal their private lives in public.

Folic, this is spot on and exactly what I'm talking about, only you have said it much better

As you say, some people are giving themselves to an extent they are forgetting how much of this *may* be used against them. Maybe
Old Mar 28th 2009, 6:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

By Ben Elton I think

"Blind Faith" by Ben Elton - quite a scary view of how the future could be with every (and I mean EVERY!) aspect of your private life being screened for your neighbours to tune into.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 10:42 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

ho ho.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by asprilla
ho ho.
See, it's turned you into Santa
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:23 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

This kiwi lass shared a bit too much of herself....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10564092

Hey, if you are a benefit cheat, don't tell it on facebook
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

Tuesday 24 February 2009

Facebook and Bebo risk 'infantilising' the human mind

Greenfield warns social networking sites are changing children's brains, resulting in selfish and attention deficient young people.

Social network sites risk infantilising the mid-21st century mind, leaving it characterised by short attention spans, sensationalism, inability to empathise and a shaky sense of identity, according to a leading neuroscientist.

She also warned against "a much more marked preference for the here-and-now, where the immediacy of an experience trumps any regard for the consequences. After all, whenever you play a computer game, you can always just play it again; everything you do is reversible. The emphasis is on the thrill of the moment, the buzz of rescuing the princess in the game. No care is given for the princess herself, for the content or for any long-term significance, because there is none. This type of activity, a disregard for consequence, can be compared with the thrill of compulsive gambling or compulsive eating.

"The sheer compulsion of reliable and almost immediate reward is being linked to similar chemical systems in the brain that may also play a part in drug addiction. So we should not underestimate the 'pleasure' of interacting with a screen when we puzzle over why it seems so appealing to young people."

Greenfield also warned there was a risk of loss of empathy as children read novels less. "Unlike the game to rescue the princess, where the goal is to feel rewarded, the aim of reading a book is, after all, to find out more about the princess herself."

She said she found it strange we are "enthusiastically embracing" the possible erosion of our identity through social networking sites, since those that use such sites can lose a sense of where they themselves "finish and the outside world begins".

She claimed that sense of identity can be eroded by "fast-paced, instant screen reactions, perhaps the next generation will define themselves by the responses of others".

Social networking sites can provide a "constant reassurance – that you are listened to, recognised, and important". Greenfield continued. This was coupled with a distancing from the stress of face-to-face, real-life conversation, which were "far more perilous … occur in real time, with no opportunity to think up clever or witty responses" and "require a sensitivity to voice tone, body language and perhaps even to pheromones, those sneaky molecules that we release and which others smell subconsciously".

She said she feared "real conversation in real time may eventually give way to these sanitised and easier screen dialogues, in much the same way as killing, skinning and butchering an animal to eat has been replaced by the convenience of packages of meat on the supermarket shelf. Perhaps future generations will recoil with similar horror at the messiness, unpredictability and immediate personal involvement of a three-dimensional, real-time interaction."
The solutions, however, lay less in regulation as in education, culture and society.

Greenfield argued that the appeal of Facebook lay in the fact that "a child confined to the home every evening may find at the keyboard the kind of freedom of interaction and communication that earlier generations took for granted in the three-dimensional world of the street. But even given a choice, screen life can still be more appealing."

She quoted one user saying they had 900 friends, another saying the fact "that you can't see or hear other people makes it easier to reveal yourself in a way that you might not be comfortable with. You become less conscious of the individuals involved [including yourself], less inhibited, less embarrassed and less concerned about how you will be evaluated."

But Greenfield warned: "It is hard to see how living this way on a daily basis will not result in brains, or rather minds, different from those of previous generations. We know that the human brain is exquisitely sensitive to the outside world."

from The Guardian

To see full article, see here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/fe...ildrens-brains
Old Mar 29th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I joined Facebook around 4 mths ago.At first I quite liked it,but now feel slightly uneasy when I get request from a friend of a friend who I don't know from a bar of soap!I also feel its not very private as although I am careful what I say on my wall,my kids are'nt that careful and I don't want my family in Oz to really know all the ins and outs of our lives???I have now made an effort not to go on FB that much anymore,I prefer Hotmail,atleast its private!(I think????lol)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.