Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

PC problem...can anyone help?

PC problem...can anyone help?

Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:53 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default PC problem...can anyone help?

Ok, so I've got a problem with the pc and hubby isn't here so I'm asking you guys cos I haven't got a clue.

I keep getting an error report from microsoft, then internet explorer closes.
Hubby used to tell me to ignore error reports and never to send them but as I've had about 20 in the last 5 minutes I've sent one then got a message saying they believe I have a problem with an incorrectly installed driver.

Now, I'm not stupid although I don't really know anything about PC's, I do know what this means.

The thing is, this is the MILs pc and nothing has been installed recently. They got a new printer about a month ago but this message has only started today.

Is it likely that the printer drivers are causing the problem or is it a case of it could be anything.

And to think, only a couple of weeks ago the MIL said she was surprised nothing had gone wrong with the pc cos whenever someones visiting it plays up!

Cheers,

Marie

ps...this is getting very frustrating...hopefully I can get the send button pressed before it shuts down again
Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PC problem...can anyone help?

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Ok, so I've got a problem with the pc and hubby isn't here so I'm asking you guys cos I haven't got a clue.

Hubby used to tell me to ignore error reports and never to send them but as I've had about 20 in the last 5 minutes I've sent one then got a message saying they believe I have a problem with an incorrectly installed driver.

Now, I'm not stupid although I don't really know anything about PC's, I do know what this means.

The thing is, this is the MILs pc and nothing has been installed recently. They got a new printer about a month ago but this message has only started today.

Is it likely that the printer drivers are causing the problem or is it a case of it could be anything.

And to think, only a couple of weeks ago the MIL said she was surprised nothing had gone wrong with the pc cos whenever someones visiting it plays up!

Cheers,

Marie

ps...this is getting very frustrating...hopefully I can get the send button pressed before it shuts down again

Mine did that that Marie.....it was a virus, I took it for repair as it was so bad..it wouldn't stay on long enough for me to do it.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 11:58 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY

Cheers,

Marie

whats the error code ?
Old Dec 11th 2005, 12:02 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Mine did that that Marie.....it was a virus, I took it for repair as it was so bad..it wouldn't stay on long enough for me to do it.

Cheers Cas, We're running norton anti virus, spyware doctor and microsoft internet security, so I'm going to watch them detect now (if it lets me) and see if anything comes up.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 12:04 am
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
whats the error code ?

Don't know, didn't think to make a note of it. If it happens again I'll let you know, or rather when it happens again.
I'm off out in a mo so I'm gonna turn pc off and restart it when I get back.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

printer drivers can cause a spanner, especially HP one's, but mostly with win98...

and error reports, nothing wrong with sending them unless you have a knocked off OS.

As for the problem, it probably is spyware or something...try using Spybot Search & Destroy, and Ad-ware, not that the M/S one ain't bad, but these are the staple ones to use, get them at www.filehippo.com and while at it, might as well get the crap cleaner -CCleaner, it'll remove general shite on the puter.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and ditch IE and get another web browser like Firefox, would be better in long run anyway, can get that from the hippo too...and it'll import your IE settings and the like.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 5:18 am
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, and ditch IE and get another web browser like Firefox, would be better in long run anyway, can get that from the hippo too...and it'll import your IE settings and the like.

Cheers Bob, will pass that on. We use Firefox on ours but at present ours in storage MIl doesn't want to change from IE, maybe this will change her mind.

Marie