Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

PC help - Right click and ......

Wikiposts

PC help - Right click and ......

Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: PC help - Right click and ......

Originally Posted by gedge
I'm a little surprised that this is looking to be like a hardware issue (although I shouldn't be having seen the insides of your case lol).

So the theory is that a mouse click draws slightly more voltage or puts slightly more load on the cpu, to the extent that the system crashes?

Have you tried navigating without a mouse when the system is going critical?
Why would a mouse click cause more of a drain than say opening an application?
I'm not saying that the hw suggestion is wrong, but it leaves me with these questions.

I've had my athlon 1800 running at 2GHz for about 5 years with just the cpu fan and a single 80mm case fan without a prob, but then it is more of a file server nowadays.
Well I'm a sucker for jinxing myself, I'll go with it anyway. PC is back overclocked as before, and I haven't seen a reboot since cleaning all of that muck out of the PSU. The pics were only taken with a phone, and a better shot would've showed it better, it was a mess ... ...lol.

Touching wood it stays the same, but to be honest when I tried to run it overcloked before the clean it would crash within minutes. I halved the 'sommit or other' frequency to 100MHz and it was stable, anything higher and it would reboot. The higher the quicker! ... so with it back on full blast without a single reboot, I can only come to the conclusion it WAS the dust build up. There is a few heatsinks in the PSU and they was clogged with it, and surely messed it all up.

Anyway, happy it's all good now ... ....... he says! ...

Originally Posted by Bob
corrupt OS files would be the cause, when system is unstable and it crashes to often, it'll knacker the system files, happened to my OS when my HD died which is why cloning over to the one drive didn't work.

Though what might be worth doing is seeing what you have running high on in the task manager, java, explorer, and also a stupid amount of page file and ram being used when you ain't got much going would mean a duff hard drive and/or duff OS.
Oh I know all about corrupt OS. I used to be installing all kinds of dodgy programs which would corrupt the OS, and I've learnt now, but when Windows would remove a program, but leave behind the odd few silly files, I'd go and delete them manually, plus the 'some of these files are used by other programs, do you still want to delete them?' ...... oh yeah, of course! ... .... only to find the PC wouldn't boot on next boot ...lol

I've learnt on them ones at last, but I got to the stage I was reinstalling Windows every month! ...lol ... was a Pro I tell ya! ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
In XP you can set how to handle stop errors. In Control Panel, go System > Advanced Tab > Startup And Recovery > Settings.
In the System Failure section, clear the Automatically Restart check box.
This should mean that a stop error now results in an on screen error messages rather than a reboot.
How you find out what is causing the stop errors is something else all together. Case of trial and error, I'm not the expert but this may help.
depends on the XP, it does blue screens the death on Pro by default..
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Oh I know all about corrupt OS. I used to be installing all kinds of dodgy programs which would corrupt the OS, and I've learnt now, but when Windows would remove a program, but leave behind the odd few silly files, I'd go and delete them manually, plus the 'some of these files are used by other programs, do you still want to delete them?' ...... oh yeah, of course! ... .... only to find the PC wouldn't boot on next boot ...lol

I've learnt on them ones at last, but I got to the stage I was reinstalling Windows every month! ...lol ... was a Pro I tell ya! ...
If you want to play on a stable platform, check out Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/

It's a decent Linux distro, free, comes with all the major software, openoffice, firefox and basically everything you need, sweet gui and stuff, well before installing it, try the live cd version so you can play around with it from the cd....it's a solid platform that'll be great as a games server, a mate uses it as a dedicated Battle Field 2 server, and also as an internet gateway for the home network.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:17 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Really what Paul needs to learn is the same as myself

DON'T FIX IT IF IT AINT BROKE !!!!

I was the same for a long time, every week the PC was in pieces, and NEVER working properly.

I now don't touch it, and it's as good as gold. Every 6 months, fresh install, regular updates, runs like a dream.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by furkew
Really what Paul needs to learn is the same as myself

DON'T FIX IT IF IT AINT BROKE !!!!

Oh I have now! ...

I must admit I'd always loved taking things apart ...lol, and altho I've had the 'blue screen of death' on MANY occasion, I think I've had 6 - 9 months with current install! .....

JINX! ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:44 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I have now! ...

I must admit I'd always loved taking things apart ...lol, and altho I've had the 'blue screen of death' on MANY occasion, I think I've had 6 - 9 months with current install! .....

JINX! ...
I know the feeling.

The wife would say WTF is wrong with your computer, you have spent all day taking it apart.

I would think to myself "nothing, but that new video card winked at me in the shop today, and I couldn't help myself"

Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

I know the feeling.

The wife would say WTF is wrong with your computer, you have spent all day taking it apart.

I would think to myself "nothing, but that new video card winked at me in the shop today, and I couldn't help myself"

LOL, maybe it's a 'boy' thing ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:24 pm
Going for a ride

LOL, maybe it's a 'boy' thing ...
i'm a 40 year old boy

Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:40 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

So Paul, is it sorted mate?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

i'm a 40 year old boy

Gettin there at 35, but I don't see myself changing ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:43 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by rossifumi
So Paul, is it sorted mate?
`
which paul do you mean ?

do you fancy a meet in Holland ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356525
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:44 pm
Going for a ride

Gettin there at 35, but I don't see myself changing ...
its called denial

I know the feeling
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My old job was a tech journalist and as a result I used to spend every single day sticking various new components in my PC. I was just clearing out the eaves and I filled something like 10 super-large refuse sacks with endless old graphics cards, speakers, keyboards, motherboards, network cards, sound cards ... you name it. I almost came over misty-like when the Voodoo 3000 went in the bag - lol
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:34 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah I didn't think of that, but still might be worth trying the System Failure options even if on Pro? Perhaps ave a look at the event log too?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Went over my head ...

I honestly didnt know and had never heard of a right click, left click.....Im just a simple soul using a Mac!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.