Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

PC help - Right click and ......

Wikiposts

PC help - Right click and ......

Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PC help - Right click and ......

That's proper minging...should check the fan runs smooth and true...and get a compressor to really blow through the parts, especially around the hard drives...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
That's proper minging...should check the fan runs smooth and true...and get a compressor to really blow through the parts, especially around the hard drives...
Yeah very poor I know ... ... altho it's only 6 months odd old, but IS the first time I've cleaned it ...

So far its still running ok ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

cakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant future
Red face Re: PC help - Right click and ......

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
PC reboots! ...

As I say I right click on sommit (anything) and the PC reboots! ...

I'm not a novice when it comes to PC's, I built this thing, I overclock it, and I like to think I have half a clue, but altho it's been fine for about a year, I'm getting this symptom now and then, but getting more frequent (3 times today)

I've not installed any new software or hardware in the last month or so!

Oh fudge! ... I hate all this! ...

Any idea's ?!
Have you tried using the repair option with windows disc.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

PC reboots! ...

As I say I right click on sommit (anything) and the PC reboots! ...

I'm not a novice when it comes to PC's, I built this thing, I overclock it, and I like to think I have half a clue, but altho it's been fine for about a year, I'm getting this symptom now and then, but getting more frequent (3 times today)

I've not installed any new software or hardware in the last month or so!

Oh fudge! ... I hate all this! ...

Any idea's ?!

Zapped you paul - was it good for you this time?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cakeychef
Have you tried using the repair option with windows disc.
the repair console is shite if it ain't a dodgy windows file, plus if your windows cd is an ole one, will have to have the joys of all those updates again, unless you slipstream your copy first.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Can someone please tell me what the heck left click right click is?

Signed - a mac lover at heart!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by willmore

Hit was good Sue, thanks ...

left click, right click as in the buttons on the mouse.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:52 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Hit was good Sue, thanks ... :)

left click, right click as in the buttons on the mouse.
I think that was mac humour for you ;-)
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gedge
I think that was mac humour for you ;-)
Went over my head ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:54 pm

Yeah very poor I know ... ... altho it's only 6 months odd old, but IS the first time I've cleaned it ...

So far its still running ok ...
I'm a little surprised that this is looking to be like a hardware issue (although I shouldn't be having seen the insides of your case lol).

So the theory is that a mouse click draws slightly more voltage or puts slightly more load on the cpu, to the extent that the system crashes?

Have you tried navigating without a mouse when the system is going critical?
Why would a mouse click cause more of a drain than say opening an application?
I'm not saying that the hw suggestion is wrong, but it leaves me with these questions.

I've had my athlon 1800 running at 2GHz for about 5 years with just the cpu fan and a single 80mm case fan without a prob, but then it is more of a file server nowadays.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by willmore

you can get decent mice for the mac, you'll love them...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
you can get decent mice for the mac, you'll love them...
Hey Bob, a little birdy told me it's your birthday.
Have a good un.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Have you tried navigating without a mouse when the system is going critical?
Why would a mouse click cause more of a drain than say opening an application?
I'm not saying that the hw suggestion is wrong, but it leaves me with these questions.
corrupt OS files would be the cause, when system is unstable and it crashes to often, it'll knacker the system files, happened to my OS when my HD died which is why cloning over to the one drive didn't work.

Though what might be worth doing is seeing what you have running high on in the task manager, java, explorer, and also a stupid amount of page file and ram being used when you ain't got much going would mean a duff hard drive and/or duff OS.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hey Bob, a little birdy told me it's your birthday.
Have a good un.
cheers
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
corrupt OS files would be the cause, when system is unstable and it crashes to often, it'll knacker the system files, happened to my OS when my HD died which is why cloning over to the one drive didn't work.

Though what might be worth doing is seeing what you have running high on in the task manager, java, explorer, and also a stupid amount of page file and ram being used when you ain't got much going would mean a duff hard drive and/or duff OS.
So here's my starting thought for a trouble shooting, if it's not the hw...

Apparently XP reboots the system where older versions you'd get the good ole BSOD! This is a Stop Error which could place data at risk, so the OS reboots rather than continuing with possible dta corruption.

In XP you can set how to handle stop errors. In Control Panel, go System > Advanced Tab > Startup And Recovery > Settings.
In the System Failure section, clear the Automatically Restart check box.
This should mean that a stop error now results in an on screen error messages rather than a reboot.
How you find out what is causing the stop errors is something else all together. Case of trial and error, I'm not the expert but this may help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.