Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

PC help - Right click and ......

Wikiposts

PC help - Right click and ......

Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PC help - Right click and ......

Originally Posted by A dogs life
If that doesn't work. Format your hard drive, then install windows 3.1 Don't bother with a mouse driver, just use keyboard shortcuts.

Do a search for Mosaic 1.1 as a web browser, and save that to a floppy before you do anything drastic. Wordstar or wordperfect are freely available on the web now, download them.

If all that doesn't work. Blame Wmoore
Nah, **** Windows 3.1 (why not 3.11 for Workgroups, much better) and go for plain old DOS.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hutch
First thing you need to check, without a shadow of a doubt, is your sticks of RAM. Seriously! When they go, it manifests itself in the most bizarre ways, most of which cast the blame on some other poor device such as the power supply, mobo, hard drives or graphics card. Get a stick you know works and swap 'em all out one after the other and see if it helps.
Ok, well I am running 'Dual Channel' so I'll pull a stick out and see how we go. I'm not long up so have the 'spring clean' to do yet, but thanks for the advice guys! ...
Old Feb 14th 2006, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I'm not long up so have the 'spring clean' to do yet, but thanks for the advice guys! ...
Oh and to follow up I gave the case a GOOD clean out and was surprised at how much dust there was in there ... The fan on the Graph Card had loads all clogged in between the heat sink fins, but I've give everything a good clean, replaced everything and I haven't seen a reboot in over 10 hours!

Back to 'crossing fingers' ...
Old Feb 15th 2006, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and to follow up I gave the case a GOOD clean out and was surprised at how much dust there was in there ... The fan on the Graph Card had loads all clogged in between the heat sink fins, but I've give everything a good clean, replaced everything and I haven't seen a reboot in over 10 hours!
be surprised how dirty they get, especially the graphics card, and if there isn't much space above hard drives and around graphics card to get the air in....and especially how quickly they get clogged up when the side panels of the case aren't on
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:27 am
Account Closed

Ok the latest ...

PC was ok for a day or so then the symptoms returned altho this time it would reboot randomly with left or right clicks.

I have 2 ram sticks so removed one, it still rebooted, the other and the same so unless both are fudged, I ruled out the ram.

As I overclock my processor from 2500 to 3200 I took settings back to stock and it was ok for another day or so, then the reboots started again.

The Memory Speed I've been running at 200MHz and to bring down to stock I dropped it to 166MHz but as I say it kept rebooting.

I now have it running at 100MHz and altho its super slow, it IS stable! ...

What do you reckon, burnt out the Processor ?!?

I must admit it DOES run hot, but then it would. I also leave the thing on 24/7 so I guess its took a bit of a battering since it was installed, prob 18 months ago.

Time to go 64Bit ???

Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:43 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ok the latest ...

PC was ok for a day or so then the symptoms returned altho this time it would reboot randomly with left or right clicks.

I have 2 ram sticks so removed one, it still rebooted, the other and the same so unless both are fudged, I ruled out the ram.

As I overclock my processor from 2500 to 3200 I took settings back to stock and it was ok for another day or so, then the reboots started again.

The Memory Speed I've been running at 200MHz and to bring down to stock I dropped it to 166MHz but as I say it kept rebooting.

I now have it running at 100MHz and altho its super slow, it IS stable! ...

What do you reckon, burnt out the Processor ?!?

I must admit it DOES run hot, but then it would. I also leave the thing on 24/7 so I guess its took a bit of a battering since it was installed, prob 18 months ago.

Time to go 64Bit ???

Thanks
Does sound like it. I did a similar thing to an old BP6 dual celeron box once - overcooked the CPUs and even after dropping it all back to stock it was never stable again. It's a fine balancing act, this overclocking lark, and the last time I did it was when I blew up a perfectly good P3 800.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:57 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

I haven't read the whole of the thread. Have you popped another Power Supply in, as I had a similar problem when clicking on certain areas of web pages, using certain apps etc.. off the PC went into reboot.

The slightest drop or increase in voltage in a PSU on it's way out will make all the difference.

Infact this is the 2nd PSU in 3 years (ish) they do get clogged up with dust & shite.

Rich

Last edited by rossifumi; Feb 20th 2006 at 1:08 am. Reason: "techno techno techno"!.......no no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there's no limits!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I haven't read the whole of the thread. Have you popped another Power Supply in, as I had a similar problem when clicking on certain areas of web pages, using certain apps etc.. off the PC went into reboot.

Infact this is the 2nd PSU in 3 years (ish) they do get clogged up with dust & shite.

Rich
Paul, grab one from PC World, you have 14 days I think to return it and get a refund just in case it doesn't solve the problem.
PSU is the way ahead matey!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Paul, grab one from PC World, you have 14 days I think to return it and get a refund just in case it doesn't solve the problem.
PSU is the way ahead matey!
Yeah I've gone through a few myself, but current is 460W and about 6 months old.

I could swap one with one of the kids PC's, but I reckon me chip has been fried ...

Worth a shot tho in case it isn't so will have a little swap about later.

Oh and the first reboot came with a 'right click' and the following few were the same, but then it was either left or right, and by last night it was doing it on its own ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Does sound like it. I did a similar thing to an old BP6 dual celeron box once - overcooked the CPUs and even after dropping it all back to stock it was never stable again. It's a fine balancing act, this overclocking lark, and the last time I did it was when I blew up a perfectly good P3 800.
Yeah I WAS warned that OC it will kill it early, but on I went ...lol

I've been considering a 64BIT setup for a while now so this could be the excuse!

Would be happy with it how it is tho, without the reboots!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:12 am

Yeah I've gone through a few myself, but current is 460W and about 6 months old.

I could swap one with one of the kids PC's, but I reckon me chip has been fried ...

Worth a shot tho in case it isn't so will have a little swap about later.

Oh and the first reboot came with a 'right click' and the following few were the same, but then it was either left or right, and by last night it was doing it on its own ...
That is exactly what happened with mine, reboot at will or with a click here, click there.
But why do you think the chip may be fried, have you been overclocking?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:15 am

If the chip is ****ed you still need to check out the PSU with a multimeter mate.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:17 am
Account Closed

That is exactly what happened with mine, reboot at will or with a click here, click there.
But why do you think the chip may be fried, have you been overclocking?
Yeah this is why I think it's gone.

An AMD XP2500 has been running as a XP3200 for prob 18 months. I've had hot temps, but with decent airflow etc I've kept it low .... ish!

The memory speed is so low at the mo that My PC is telling me I'm running at 1.09GHz when it used to run at 2.21GHz so I've lost half of it, but the only way to keep stable.

Upp that even to the XP2500 stock and it all goes on the wonk ...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:18 am
Account Closed

If the chip is ****ed you still need to check out the PSU with a multimeter mate.
I have a multimeter!!! ...

Err! ..... lol
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Well I cleaned out the inside of the PSU earlier:

... lol

I'll without doubt jinx myself here, but it's been stable and running OC now for a few hours ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.