Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

PAYG Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Wikiposts

PAYG Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default PAYG Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Been trying to research this and finding it a bit hard. Wondered if anyone else had already worked this out or can offer some advice.

What I want is a Aussie sim card with low SMS rates to the UK. I need it for a reccie trip in August, but would like to keep the number for the final move in 2008. I notice that most of them have expiry dates on their top ups. I wouldn't mind topping up every now and then as long as unused credit isn't lost.

Not sure if this tells you all you need to know, let me know if I have missed out any vital bit of information.

Thanks,

Mark.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:30 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice
Default Re: PAYG Mobile Phone Sim Cards

Hi. Don't suppose you have a 3 contract phone in the UK do you?

Its not been widely advertised but as long as you stay on the 3 network in Aus then calls/texts to UK are included as part of your minutes in your contract package and not charged for.
When you run out of inclusive minutes calls/texts are charged at international Aus rate.
However all calls to you from the UK are not charged to you in Aus even if you run out of minutes and the UK caller is not charged any more for the international call.
You must stay on 3 network though. Check out their website.
My sister is in Aus and finding it an economical way to call the UK whilst having the minimum amount of credit on an Aus Optus phone for Aussie calls.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FiP
Hi. Don't suppose you have a 3 contract phone in the UK do you?

Its not been widely advertised but as long as you stay on the 3 network in Aus then calls/texts to UK are included as part of your minutes in your contract package and not charged for.
When you run out of inclusive minutes calls/texts are charged at international Aus rate.
However all calls to you from the UK are not charged to you in Aus even if you run out of minutes and the UK caller is not charged any more for the international call.
You must stay on 3 network though. Check out their website.
My sister is in Aus and finding it an economical way to call the UK whilst having the minimum amount of credit on an Aus Optus phone for Aussie calls.
No, I'm on T-mobile PAYG at the moment. 40p text back to the UK from there. Funny thing is it's only 20p for MMS!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:48 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
No, I'm on T-mobile PAYG at the moment. 40p text back to the UK from there. Funny thing is it's only 20p for MMS!

they will charge you £15 to clear your chip when you are in oz.

i believe that calls are £1.50 outgoing as well as incoming.texts are 60p..

the robbin baskits..
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Just checked out the 3 website. Looks OK, so might use them for our reccie trip. Any other ideas anyone?