Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Pauline Hanson - O the irony!

Pauline Hanson - O the irony!

Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:59 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pauline Hanson - O the irony!

Originally Posted by Princess Leia

Where are all these British people signing on to the Australian way of life? Speaking English, wearing shorts and thongs at the beach doesn't count!
I am confused, what else is there?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:37 pm
ABCDiamond

I've heard it said that the British have some of the lowest take up rates for Australian nationality.
That is correct in general, although the numbers are now changing, as having citizenship is more important these days.

The main reason is that in the past, there was no reason to take on Australian Citizenship. Being British meant being able to vote, being able to move in and out of Australian on their British passport with no Return visas required etc.

The question was really, why change when nothing changed ?

Today's new migrants need Citizenship for so many things.

Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL Vash!

That "if you don't like it, leave" car sticker did pop up in my mind when I first heard the news.

I have a 7 year old daughter who is a good reader. It was that mob with their "F*** off we're full" ute stickers that introduced her to that word when one day she read it aloud and asked us what it meant. Grrr. There was also a flag at the back of the ute (yes it was a ute) with some kangaroos with boxer gloves on. It says a lot about them.

Recently we went to the Australia Day parade and fireworks at Darling Harbour in Sydney. A lot of the people there were Asians and muslims with head scarves. I was quite impressed with how they were all joining in with the singing and they seemed really happy to be Australian. I haven't seen British people adopt Australia with that level of fervour generally. Good on them!

At my citizenship ceremony several years ago, I was the only British person there. There was a range of nationalities European, Indian etc but not one other British person!. I've heard it said that the British have some of the lowest take up rates for Australian nationality.

Where are all these British people signing on to the Australian way of life? Speaking English, wearing shorts and thongs at the beach doesn't count!
In Melly you see those of Scottish heritage celebrating Australia Day with a bit of dancing and cross dressing.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:44 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
In Melly you see those of Scottish heritage celebrating Australia Day with a bit of dancing and cross dressing.
They're not celebrating Australia Day - they're still partying from Burns Night!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
They're not celebrating Australia Day - they're still partying from Burns Night!
Actually having a day off after Burns Night must be a god send for Scots in Aus.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Actually having a day off after Burns Night must be a god send for Scots in Aus.
Indeed, very considerate!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

I don't believe everything I read in woman's magazines or newspapers

I recon it's mission accomplished, everyone now knows her house is up for sale and she should get a good price.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:18 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The Irish Republican Army was a sectarian group... almost exclusive Catholic. Any 'English' members would have been from Irish Catholic backgrounds... and there were very few of them on active duty.
They murdered many a person simply because they happened to be from the 'wrong' religion. Protestants were not welcome.

To claim that the "IRA was not a catholic organisation that was primarily full of catholic's" is bizarre
They are not a catholic organisation.

They did have a few non catholic members. Even if they where from a catholic background. You cant just rock up at mass one day and claim to be a catholic. Or claim communion because your grandad was a catholic.

If you find the statement bizarre I cant help you, fact is its pretty much true.

Anyway back to Pauline and her chances with Peter Robinson now iris is not in the good books for fiddling with .... lets say for fiddling

Iris

Pauline

Last edited by Zambia; Feb 16th 2010 at 2:22 am. Reason: pic did not show
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
Just so they know where they're going wrong - can you identify these uniquely Australian traits & beliefs they might be failing to adhere to?
That's it, they are not really embracing Australian traits and beliefs in an active way as such. They passively have so many similarities such as speaking the same language, dressing the same way, eating somewhat similar food. There are British people and descendants of British people everywhere in Australia so making friends with the resident Australians is very easily done. In other words, they don't actually have to do very much to "fit in". The Aussies even drive on the correct side of the road!

I don't have a problem with this, it's what we all can do in our sleep. But it's when we criticise other groups for not doing something far enough something that we can do in our sleep. They do far more effortwise than we do - learning a new language, learning new customs, new skills, laws and ways of doing something is not easily done in adulthood.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:55 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Do you remember Pauline Hansons genius economy policy just " Print more money" then there will be plenty for everyone, l wonder if any Asians will be getting her free money or is it for whites only?. Robert Mugabee from Zimabwe has the same economic policy, a loaf of bread costs a trillion zimbabwian dollars of something like that, half the population is staving to death.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 16th 2010 at 3:59 am.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mohogony
Do you remember Pauline Hansons genius economy policy just " Print more money" then there will be plenty for everyone, l wonder if any Asians will be getting her free money or is it for whites only?. Robert Mugabee from Zimabwe has the same economic policy, a loaf of bread costs a trillion zimbabwian dollars of something like that, half the population is staving to death.
Aha, never saw that, but now I see why the UK.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ic-crisis.html
08th January 2009
Let's print more money! Labour's latest big idea to fix Britain's economic crisis

Oh yes and the US did it too...

Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:07 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Aha, never saw that, but now I see why the UK.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ic-crisis.html
08th January 2009
Let's print more money! Labour's latest big idea to fix Britain's economic crisis

Oh yes and the US did it too...
Maybe shes moving to the uk to work as Britains finance minister.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Zambia;8345524]They are not a catholic organisation.

They did have a few non catholic members. Even if they where from a catholic background. You cant just rock up at mass one day and claim to be a catholic. Or claim communion because your grandad was a catholic.

If you find the statement bizarre I cant help you, fact is its pretty much true.

I see your location is Melbourne but as one who was an adult thro' the "troubles" with the IRA I'm wondering if it should actually be La La Land.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:02 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I see your location is Melbourne but as one who was an adult thro' the "troubles" with the IRA I'm wondering if it should actually be La La Land.
What is so la la about the statement?

Was the IRA 100% catholic?
Is the IRA a catholic organisation?

Yes or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.