Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior?

Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior?

Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by chris955
No I haven't but to be honest what are they going to say ?
I have no idea. Ask them and let us know. Speaking for myself, I'm curious to find out why Indians allegedly lose all their cooking skills when they enter Australia.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

I think that is being unfair really, they don't seem to lose ALL their cooking skills just some.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I have no idea. Ask them and let us know. Speaking for myself, I'm curious to find out why Indians allegedly lose all their cooking skills when they enter Australia.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by chris955
I think that is being unfair really, they don't seem to lose ALL their cooking skills just some.
They have to dumb it down to Australian levels mate, just like the rest of us immigrants
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:38 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
They have to dumb it down to Australian levels mate, just like the rest of us immigrants
I had to have half of my... thingo... you know.. the squishy thing in my head, removed before they would let me take the... thingo... citiz... cizit... becoming Aussie thingo...
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Debbi****
I don't use Pataks. Greasy, harsh and raw tasting. The slick of oil on their pickles was enough to put me off. Wasn't to impressed by a jar of their curry sauce either, for the same reasons. Much prefer Sharwoods for mango chutney and raw poppodoms which I microwave. I make my own curry sauce with cumin, garlic, chilli, garam masala. My Thai green curry includes ginger, garlic, soy sauce and corriander. My tikka chicken is diced red onion, ginger, garlic, lime juice, tomato puree, soy sauce, garam masala, cinnamon, and chilli pepper.

Serve with natural yoghurt. No cream or ghee in my 99% fat free kitchen !

It's hard to find Sharwoods here in NZ. So I've found Baxters Mango and Ginger chutney a good if not better alternative. Pataks raw poppodoms are ok.

P.S. was suprised and glad to see Colmans products here i.e. proper mint sauce, English Mustard.
Thanks for the ingredients - which I've just made a note of - but what about the recipe? In very simple terms too - as in 'turn knob on cooker to 3 o clock.'
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Comparing places like Busselton, Margaret River, Gracetown, Augusta, Denmark, Albany and the surrounds to when I was a kid, the South Coast of WA has had a lot of development. I remember driving from Denmark to Albany a few years ago and seeing that huge scar left by some attempt to stick a highway or something through on the coastline and almost cried.
Busselton, Margaret River and Gracetown are on the west coast, and there has been a lot more development over there, but still lots of wonderful spots. Most of the residential sub-divisions have been around Busselton and Dunsborough. IMO, it hasn't been spoilt in the Capes area at all. Yes, it's much busier than it was when I first visited, but there's loads more to do, more places to eat/drink and a great area to visit. I wouldn't mind living there either, if I ever get to retire.

Augusta is right on the point where the west coast meets the south coast, and along with Denmark and Albany, are the main towns on the south coast of WA. Esperance is a little drive slightly to the east.

I have no idea what you're talking about with an attempted road along the coast from Denmark to Albany. The main road is South Coast Highway, and you can divert off via Torbay on the Lower Denmark Road for a more scenic route to Albany.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing places like Busselton, Margaret River, Gracetown, Augusta, Denmark, Albany and the surrounds to when I was a kid, the South Coast of WA has had a lot of development. I remember driving from Denmark to Albany a few years ago and seeing that huge scar left by some attempt to stick a highway or something through on the coastline and almost cried.
Keep calm Kim, deep breaths. Lots and lots of deep breathing
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Keep calm Kim, deep breaths. Lots and lots of deep breathing
It's fine.....I remember when I was no more than a toddler, rolling down the grassy hills outside my grandparents house right in the middle of Albany, of vomiting at the smell as you walked up to the old Whaling Station and watched men with axes hack at huge pieces of what looked like steak......of going out to our grandparents dairy farm and catching bath loads of marron straight from the river than ran through the property......the christmas holidays we nearly all got wiped out by a fire than jumped the river and nearly wiped out the few homes that made up the town of Denmark. I spent many years going down to visit the grandparents and aunts and uncles all over the south west and still go there when I'm home in WA to visit them all. But I'm sure Helen knows better than I what the South Coast of WA looked like in the 60''s and 70's compared to these days.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I spent many years going down to visit the grandparents and aunts and uncles all over the south west and still go there when I'm home in WA to visit them all. But I'm sure Helen knows better than I what the South Coast of WA looked like in the 60''s and 70's compared to these days.
You can remember what Denmark and Albany were like 50 years ago?

You still haven't told me which attempted road you're talking about along the coast between Denmark and Albany. And yes, I do know the area well, although I don't have your personal memories of 50 years ago.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
You can remember what Denmark and Albany were like 50 years ago?

You still haven't told me which attempted road you're talking about along the coast between Denmark and Albany. And yes, I do know the area well, although I don't have your personal memories of 50 years ago.
I'm 44 years old and was born in the 1960's. I have been going to the region my whole life - we also have seems of photos before I was even born of the area. A couple of my oder siblings were actually sent to Denmark to go to high school there before boarding in Perth for the last couple of years. I have a very good memory and can remember my grandparents house in Albany that they moved out of in 1969 when I was two. They then moved into Denmark (where they already had a dairy farm and had lived previously.

The development I'm talking about was just after you drove out of the Denmark township (towards Albany), off towards the coast. The whole area had been bulldozed illegally for an unauthorised project or something (can't remember the whole story now). This was a couple of trips ago, it would have been Easter 2004, we drove from Rockingham to Albany to see my grandfather and went through Denmark to catch up with some family. I had to stop in at a vineyard on the way to find my cousins farm because a section of the main road had been changed which had taken my cousins farm off the main road and I thought I'd gone crazy and missed it.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm 44 years old and was born in the 1960's. I have been going to the region my whole life - we also have seems of photos before I was even born of the area. A couple of my oder siblings were actually sent to Denmark to go to high school there before boarding in Perth for the last couple of years. I have a very good memory and can remember my grandparents house in Albany that they moved out of in 1969 when I was two. They then moved into Denmark (where they already had a dairy farm and had lived previously.

The development I'm talking about was just after you drove out of the Denmark township (towards Albany), off towards the coast. The whole area had been bulldozed illegally for an unauthorised project or something (can't remember the whole story now). This was a couple of trips ago, it would have been Easter 2004, we drove from Rockingham to Albany to see my grandfather and went through Denmark to catch up with some family. I had to stop in at a vineyard on the way to find my cousins farm because a section of the main road had been changed which had taken my cousins farm off the main road and I thought I'd gone crazy and missed it.
I've been visiting Denmark for about 26 years and we bought a property there in 1994, so have been going down regularly for a long time, the last time in April this year.

When you're leaving the Denmark townsite going towards Albany, you've got to cross the river. After that, a few kms along is the Springdale subdivision which goes down to the inlet, but I don't think that was illegal, then I can't think of any other track/road to the ocean until Youngs Siding, where you can get through to the Nullaki Peninsula - they sold off some 100 acre blocks a few years ago.

West of Denmark, near Parryville, South Coast Highway does a big curve on a hill, after Mt McLeod Road, that I think is different, but can't think of anywhere else. There are quite a few sub-divisions now going off Mt Shadforth Drive and various side roads going down to the highway.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been visiting Denmark for about 26 years and we bought a property there in 1994, so have been going down regularly for a long time, the last time in April this year.

When you're leaving the Denmark townsite going towards Albany, you've got to cross the river. After that, a few kms along is the Springdale subdivision which goes down to the inlet, but I don't think that was illegal, then I can't think of any other track/road to the ocean until Youngs Siding, where you can get through to the Nullaki Peninsula - they sold off some 100 acre blocks a few years ago.

West of Denmark, near Parryville, South Coast Highway does a big curve on a hill, after Mt McLeod Road, that I think is different, but can't think of anywhere else. There are quite a few sub-divisions now going off Mt Shadforth Drive and various side roads going down to the highway.
It was probably one of those developments then, it was after you cross the river, looked bloody hideous and in my opinion ruined the look of the coastline. The road I'm talking about is the road as you travel west from Denmark and it now bypasses my cousins farm. That region started to really change in the late 80's, early 90's when it became "trendy" so you would have no recollection of what I'm talking about the decades before you even visited. But you continue to mock me all you like because you know best.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was probably one of those developments then, it was after you cross the river, looked bloody hideous and in my opinion ruined the look of the coastline. The road I'm talking about is the road as you travel west from Denmark and it now bypasses my cousins farm. That region started to really change in the late 80's, early 90's when it became "trendy" so you would have no recollection of what I'm talking about the decades before you even visited. But you continue to mock me all you like because you know best.
How am I mocking you? There are towns which are on the west coast and towns which are on the south coast. You were talking about an attempted road to the coast east of Denmark, which just doesn't exist. There also isn't an attempted road to the coast west of Denmark. I don't doubt that you have longer memories of mine than Denmark, after all, you grew up in WA, didn't you, even if you haven't lived here for a long time? Other people are allowed to know something of WA, though, or is that what's upsetting you? They can even go to the local museum to see pictures of how the town was settled for agriculture and forestry, and stay in some of the old properties. I don't know if I would put the 'trendy' label on Denmark or Albany, though.

When you travel from the Denmark townsite to Albany, you are travelling east. When you travel towards Walpole, you are travelling west, and it is not long before the turn-off to Parry's that you suddenly get this big hill, complete with overtaking lane on the eastbound side. I don't know why they re-aligned that section, perhaps it was to give a view of Point Hillier, and to allow some space for the turn-off to Parry's, or to make it safer using Mt McLeod Road.

Bit of a shock to the system when the whole landscape changes since a previus visit, can take a while to get your bearings. The Denmark Council is pretty conservative, but it could well have been Main Roads who messed up your cousin's farm.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How am I mocking you? There are towns which are on the west coast and towns which are on the south coast. You were talking about an attempted road to the coast east of Denmark, which just doesn't exist. There also isn't an attempted road to the coast west of Denmark. I don't doubt that you have longer memories of mine than Denmark, after all, you grew up in WA, didn't you, even if you haven't lived here for a long time? Other people are allowed to know something of WA, though, or is that what's upsetting you? They can even go to the local museum to see pictures of how the town was settled for agriculture and forestry, and stay in some of the old properties. I don't know if I would put the 'trendy' label on Denmark or Albany, though.

When you travel from the Denmark townsite to Albany, you are travelling east. When you travel towards Walpole, you are travelling west, and it is not long before the turn-off to Parry's that you suddenly get this big hill, complete with overtaking lane on the eastbound side. I don't know why they re-aligned that section, perhaps it was to give a view of Point Hillier, and to allow some space for the turn-off to Parry's, or to make it safer using Mt McLeod Road.

Bit of a shock to the system when the whole landscape changes since a previus visit, can take a while to get your bearings. The Denmark Council is pretty conservative, but it could well have been Main Roads who messed up your cousin's farm.
You've not really understood anything I've said during this whole thread, you've just wanted to prove me wrong, which you haven't, and it's not even worth arguing about. You've carried on before about me having not lived in WA for a very long time when I've commented about the school system, I would hardly say 2008 was a very long time ago - that was the last time I lived in WA.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:44 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You've not really understood anything I've said during this whole thread, you've just wanted to prove me wrong, which you haven't, and it's not even worth arguing about. You've carried on before about me having not lived in WA for a very long time when I've commented about the school system, I would hardly say 2008 was a very long time ago - that was the last time I lived in WA.
FFS! The thread's about Indian spice sauces.
How is it possible that either of you can be a) so far off topic and b) Having a hissy fit at each other?

SHUT UP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.