Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior?

Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior?

Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by HelenTD
The south coast of WA is still untouched, only has a few colonial buildings in comparison with Tasmania. Lots of great local produce, too.
Comparing places like Busselton, Margaret River, Gracetown, Augusta, Denmark, Albany and the surrounds to when I was a kid, the South Coast of WA has had a lot of development. I remember driving from Denmark to Albany a few years ago and seeing that huge scar left by some attempt to stick a highway or something through on the coastline and almost cried.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by renth
Sound like BS to me. I heard the Aussie Cadbury has ingredients to prevent it melting at the higher temperatures it will be exposed to in Aus.
I specifically asked that question and apparently it's an urban myth.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

GENERALLY in MY experience curries here are not as good as curries in the UK. We had a curry house near where we lived and I have yet to taste a better curry. As I say that is MY personal experience.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by renth
I heard the Aussie Cadbury has ingredients to prevent it melting at the higher temperatures it will be exposed to in Aus.
A longstanding myth. It doesn't even make sense.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:57 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by chris955
GENERALLY in MY experience curries here are not as good as curries in the UK. We had a curry house near where we lived and I have yet to taste a better curry. As I say that is MY personal experience.
Have you tried asking the Indians in Australia why their curries aren't as good as the curries made by Indians in the UK?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Have you tried asking the Indians in Australia why their curries aren't as good as the curries made by Indians in the UK?
I have... it's to do with the Chef and their experience. We now have a ex UK Indian chef at our Local Curry house and you can tell.

Two Chefs can use the exact same ingredients, and get quite different flavours, especially with spices at the frying stage.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kim67
Now I do have the answer to the chocolate taste difference. I was at the Cadbury factory in Tasmania a couple of weeks ago and asked why British and Australian Cadbury taste different (I'm love the Australian one because I'm an Aussie) and apparently it's because in Australia they use Sugar Cane and Britain uses Sugar Beet in their recipe.
So why does Australian Cadburys that I eat in New Zealand taste of rancid milk ?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbi****
So why does Australian Cadburys that I eat in New Zealand taste of rancid milk ?

Ahh your probably only getting the labels and the locals are sticking Whittaker's in it.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I have... it's to do with the Chef and their experience. We now have a ex UK Indian chef at our Local Curry house and you can tell.

Two Chefs can use the exact same ingredients, and get quite different flavours, especially with spices at the frying stage.
That's interesting too. I've learnt a few things from this 'title.' I've got a jar of Patak's Curry Paste which I've not actually used yet. All I did was to throw jar of Curry sauce over my chicken, and then add whatever I could find - mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, red capsicum, green beans - even threw in a few blueberries to see how they would add?

Talking of 'red capsicums', I had an otherwise perfectly acceptable red chicken curry in The Strand/Aldwych - near Somerset House I think, is that the right street? Anyway I took a HUGE bite out of what I thought was a red capsicum but turned out to be a red chilli.

For about five minutes I was REALLY scared. What the **** are you supposed to do?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

I don't use Pataks. Greasy, harsh and raw tasting. The slick of oil on their pickles was enough to put me off. Wasn't to impressed by a jar of their curry sauce either, for the same reasons. Much prefer Sharwoods for mango chutney and raw poppodoms which I microwave. I make my own curry sauce with cumin, garlic, chilli, garam masala. My Thai green curry includes ginger, garlic, soy sauce and corriander. My tikka chicken is diced red onion, ginger, garlic, lime juice, tomato puree, soy sauce, garam masala, cinnamon, and chilli pepper.

Serve with natural yoghurt. No cream or ghee in my 99% fat free kitchen !

It's hard to find Sharwoods here in NZ. So I've found Baxters Mango and Ginger chutney a good if not better alternative. Pataks raw poppodoms are ok.

P.S. was suprised and glad to see Colmans products here i.e. proper mint sauce, English Mustard.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:37 am
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Patak's sauces - Are they REALLY made in the UK? - My curry still tastes inferior

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Because they put rancid milk in it.

Good Indian restaurant in Adelaide: Jasmin.

Established by the Singh Sandhu Family in 1980. Much of Jasmin's achievments are to the credit of Mrs. Singh, who has been a driving force behind the popularity of Jasmin. The freshest spices and ingredients available ensure her North India style cuisine never disappoints.

Latest News
We are proud to announce that The Jasmin has been awarded "Best Indian Restaurant in Australia" at the 2008 Restaurant & Catering Association Awards for Excellence.

We would sincerely like to thank everyone for their ongoing support over the years without which this award would not have been possible.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
That's interesting too. I've learnt a few things from this 'title.' I've got a jar of Patak's Curry Paste which I've not actually used yet. All I did was to throw jar of Curry sauce over my chicken, and then add whatever I could find - mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, red capsicum, green beans - even threw in a few blueberries to see how they would add?

Talking of 'red capsicums', I had an otherwise perfectly acceptable red chicken curry in The Strand/Aldwych - near Somerset House I think, is that the right street? Anyway I took a HUGE bite out of what I thought was a red capsicum but turned out to be a red chilli.

For about five minutes I was REALLY scared. What the **** are you supposed to do?
Man up and swallow.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No I haven't but to be honest what are they going to say ?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

New book just released, sure to be a big hit with many BE'ers and a top seller for Amazon and The Book Depository:
The Definitive Guide to UK Supermarket Ready Meals by William Henry Ingingpom
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:03 am
Banned

What an anchor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.