Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Passed my bronze medallion this morning

Passed my bronze medallion this morning

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passed my bronze medallion this morning

Can I take this opportunity to 'big up' the surf lifesaving clubs in Australia. If you've got kids, you can take 'em down to the nippers groups where they'll learn all about the beach and the surf in a very safe environment. Most of us from the UK weren't brought up on the coast and have little understanding of the dangers, so it's an excellent way of getting up to speed. The sprogs get to meet kids their own age, get fit, learn how to read the surf and have a good laugh at the end of it all. You don't have to live right on the coast - we have people in the club that travel down from the Southern Highlands - 75km inland - for the weekly nippers meet on Sunday mornings.

And as a parent I'd also recommend folks to get involved. I'm 41 this year and managed the bronze okay, despite being very unfit at the start of it. I've been up and down this coast to various club related events and I've found all those involved to be very friendly. It's a great way of making friends and - if you do your bronze you can get involved in surf lifesaving patrols and follow on courses on crewing and driving the inshore rescue boats. You also get to use surf kayaks, quad bikes and jet-skis.

You can find your local surf lifesaving club on the national website.

This ends the public information film.

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the award and thank you - you guys do a great job making sure we all have an enjoyable and safe time at the beach. .
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, Hutch. Lots of people talk about doing the life-saving thing but rarely get round to doing anything about it.

I can recommend Nippers for the kids too. My two both did it when they were younger and enjoyed it.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:42 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, congrats

Joex
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:58 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
This morning I did part two of my bronze medallion - the practical part of the test... and passed. It had been flat as a pancake out there for the last two weeks, got down the beach and what do you know - surf rolling in. Made life a bit more interesting, but me and all the guys doing the course passed. So if you're ever out Shoalhaven Heads way and you see a surf patrol on duty - say hello, there might be a pommy lifeguard in the red and yellow.
wey hey......many congrats Hutch.....hope not too nervous......well done
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:35 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Hutch!

jackie x
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Passed my bronze medallion this morning.....Well done

(...and heres me thinking this was a post about constapation)
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

lol - nope - regulation red board shorts only!

Cheers.
Well done you. I know from reading your posts how much you wanted your bronze!!
DLM xxx
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

This morning I did part two of my bronze medallion - the practical part of the test... and passed. It had been flat as a pancake out there for the last two weeks, got down the beach and what do you know - surf rolling in. Made life a bit more interesting, but me and all the guys doing the course passed. So if you're ever out Shoalhaven Heads way and you see a surf patrol on duty - say hello, there might be a pommy lifeguard in the red and yellow.
well done Hutch