Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parents pulling kids out of private schools

Parents pulling kids out of private schools

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:22 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Parents pulling kids out of private schools

I agree with your first paragraph but the second paragraph depends on your area as in our local area Private out performed State that said the State schools weren't far behind.

But at the private school the kids aren't allowed to constantly swear in class or jump around and disrupt it and there is a fair attempt at teaching them respect for each other which wasn't happening in the State schools I encounted here. There will be good and bad in both systems and even in the past our sons school did have the resident paedophile who masqueraded as a do gooder then abused the kids in his care. That said he's now gone.

Originally Posted by Hutch
Firstly, I agree that it's a very personal choice and any parent that chooses to send their kid to a private school is perfectly entitled to do so. These things often come down to something as elusive as the way a school 'feels', so there's little point in beating people about where they've chosen.

That said, you're deluding yourselves if you think they get a better education at a fee-paying school. In terms of basic results, the state schools out-perform the private schools every year.
GOVERNMENT schools have beaten high-fee-charging private colleges in this year's HSC, winning top spot in a majority of the state's 38 education regions. Public schools topped the HSC list in 22 regions across NSW but their success was even more pronounced in Sydney where they won 13 to the independents' three. Source

I'm certainly not going to take the moral highground on this and if we found, after visiting them and looking into them, that the best school in this area for our son was private, then we'd pay up.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
That said he's now gone.
Well that's okay then. As long as they don't make a habit of it.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
I think it's really gay sending your kids private rather than state,

What a strange expression to use
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

Speaking as a teacher in a private school, I do hope that student numbers don't drop dramatically as there may then be forced redundancies amongst teaching staff coming into play!

In my experience, sending your kids to private school here in Aus is not seen as being as elitist as it is back in England. It's just that many, many parents here don't seem to trust the state system.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Hutch
Well that's okay then. As long as they don't make a habit of it.
Think he did while he was there but they cottoned on to it and the boys in blue marched him off as is only right.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
What a strange expression to use
He is known for it to be on his mind all the time. Think the lock on his closet is broken
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrentEnd
Speaking as a teacher in a private school, I do hope that student numbers don't drop dramatically as there may then be forced redundancies amongst teaching staff coming into play!
There have already been some immediate cutbacks at my daughters old school with removal of aftercare and removal of teachers aides in the junior school.

Hopefully teachers are the last last resort. Fingers crossed for you
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You have no idea do you

Schools are a personal choice and not all children do best in state system.

What is the logic in sending our daughter to an underfunded school whereas we have the opportunity to send her to a school with no such issues.

now you know i hate to agree with you on these forums

anyway, we are more than happy with the state choices we have made here in melbourne, however before coming here i had no idea about the private and public system and how 'big', it is here.

If i could transport the state schools , along with teachers and resources that my girls went to in scotland then it would equal a very 'posh private school here'.

However they are adaptable and are 'surviving' (along with some out of school tutoring), but as a parent in all honesty if i could sacrifice my nanny and hols to send them to a decent private school here then i would without a doubt.

However i feel for the poor families who's kids are not adaptable and need more support than the public schools can provide, due to lack of funds and resources and the parents do not have the luxury of looking at private schools, in this instance i would say everyone loses, kids , parents and society.

As parents we can only hope wherever we are and in which predicament we find ourselves in that we have tried our best for our kids and put the individual needs of our children to the forefront of our lives.

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 2nd 2008 at 7:50 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
He is known for it to be on his mind all the time. Think the lock on his closet is broken

Ah, so coming out is easy for running back in then
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:58 pm

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Within days of landing in Oz i had my two kids enrolled in the local State school - OMG - what a major mistake!!! My kids both went to 'good' state schools in the UK and when i look at what they've ended up in i could cry.

We're now looking at going private and paying about $7,000 per year for each child just to get them the same as they had in the UK for free. I'm no snob, i just want a good education for my children and to feel that they're in a safe environment when they're at school.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I must be a snob from a family of snobs then... I went to private boarding school from age 11 and I'd like to send DD to a private school (not boarding though) when she's the same age.

At the end of the day I dont think the education aspect is the only aspect of school - I got two GSCEs from my fee paying school, OH got about 10 O'levels/CSEs and he went to a comp (the sort of school that gave me nightmares!). BUT I had a bloody great time at school, learnt a lot of life skills and independance and, although a couple of girls got expelled for getting drunk and quite a few smoked, there were no drugs or bullying issues at our school.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting always is about education. I believe that the education is equal in the state schools its just the schools have to take all comers.

I sent both my children to private school and I do not regret it but I don't think the education was any different. Just as many of their friends who went to the local State School went on to university. I believe we as parents were just as instrumental in our children's education as the school they attended.

I do not agree with the table of schools achievements as I wonder if there is an incentive to push children through and help more than they would get in other schools so that the school looks good to prospective parents.

Also at university its a known fact that children who are educated in the State System, settle better and do better in their first years as they have not been spoon fed at school.

The thing is do we as parents look at ourselves when we are thinking about education, remember how we were at school, were we lazy, were we diligent. I went to boarding school so had no option had to learn it was strict in those days, teachers were allowed to discipline us not the way these days.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:05 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridie
I must be a snob from a family of snobs then... I went to private boarding school from age 11 and I'd like to send DD to a private school (not boarding though) when she's the same age.

At the end of the day I dont think the education aspect is the only aspect of school - I got two GSCEs from my fee paying school, OH got about 10 O'levels/CSEs and he went to a comp (the sort of school that gave me nightmares!). BUT I had a bloody great time at school, learnt a lot of life skills and independance and, although a couple of girls got expelled for getting drunk and quite a few smoked, there were no drugs or bullying issues at our school.
No offence but just 2 GCSE passes from a private school education with the boarding element is a pretty poor return from your parents financial outlay whatever other life skills private education is meant to bestow. Was it a selective school where you had to pass the CE to gain entry?

Standards really took a turn for the worse in 1988 when O'levels and CSEs were amalgamated to form the GCSE and they've been dropping ever since.

You say your OH got 10 O'levels/CSEs but they're 2 totally different exams and quite far apart in academic criteria.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:32 pm

[/QUOTE]
However i feel for the poor families who's kids are not adaptable and need more support than the public schools can provide, due to lack of funds and resources and the parents do not have the luxury of looking at private schools, in this instance i would say everyone loses, kids , parents and society.
[/QUOTE]

Why the need for bold on this bit, is it supposed to be your main point??? It's got nothing to do with adaptability, if you are an average kid in an average school you tend to get overlooked as you are not Einstein or the attention deficit trouble maker who gets lots of attention to try and stop them interfering with lessons. So teachers just leave the average kid to swim along without extra input or one to one time.

It could be argued if the poor parents had been in a school that made more effort with them they may have got a decent job with the $$$'s to pay for the private school then all win, kid, parent and society by having a better educated more resourceful kid.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:44 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Both logic is wrong.

If everyone went to private schools and passed exams and then went on to higher education (and it's a pretty big assumption that private schools can deliver with every pupil who goes through its gates) it still means that not every well qualified academic individual will walk into a high paying job as the demand will far exceed the supply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.