Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parents, I need your expert advice

Wikiposts

Parents, I need your expert advice

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:22 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Parents, I need your expert advice

Having no children of my own, I am in the dark about 'kiddy stuff' so I'm turning to you who have seen the light and reproduced to help me out.

11 babies have been born to our friends since we left the UK - and I have this strange desire to buy them some lovely aussie outfits for their Christmas presents. You know the kind of thing, t-shirts with surfboards on them, tropical scenes, etc, sharks - nothing tacky though, no koalas and 'I love Sydney' rubbish.

Problem - summer here, winter in the UK. Will t-shirts and summer clothes be appreciated (everyone has got central heating so bubs could wear indoors??). Or should I buy the clothes in HUGE sizes so they can wear them next UK summer? If only I'd bought up all that unwanted winter wear stock in the sales... And why so many 00000000s on baby clothes here?

Or even, should I give up on kids' clothes idea and buy them books instead and develop their little minds so they become brain surgeons and look after their parents in their old age (this may be more appreciated by my friends, after all).

(secret to confess: love looking at baby clothes, soooooo cute)
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents, I need your expert advice

Just bear in mind the cost of postage - so don't buy heavy things.

Originally Posted by chels
Having no children of my own, I am in the dark about 'kiddy stuff' so I'm turning to you who have seen the light and reproduced to help me out.

11 babies have been born to our friends since we left the UK - and I have this strange desire to buy them some lovely aussie outfits for their Christmas presents. You know the kind of thing, t-shirts with surfboards on them, tropical scenes, etc, sharks - nothing tacky though, no koalas and 'I love Sydney' rubbish.

Problem - summer here, winter in the UK. Will t-shirts and summer clothes be appreciated (everyone has got central heating so bubs could wear indoors??). Or should I buy the clothes in HUGE sizes so they can wear them next UK summer? If only I'd bought up all that unwanted winter wear stock in the sales... And why so many 00000000s on baby clothes here?

Or even, should I give up on kids' clothes idea and buy them books instead and develop their little minds so they become brain surgeons and look after their parents in their old age (this may be more appreciated by my friends, after all).

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:48 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd buy them clothes that'll fit them in the summer - books and toys they can buy in the UK

but where could they get a Ozzie t-shirt in the UK?
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:06 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Will they know in the UK that Target, K-mart etc are, ahem, more value for money brands? With 11 babies to buy clothes for, can't afford Pumpkin Patch and similar
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:14 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will they know in the UK that Target, K-mart etc are, ahem, more value for money brands? With 11 babies to buy clothes for, can't afford Pumpkin Patch and similar
I wouldnt worry about that - we were grateful for anything that came our way!!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandmom
I wouldnt worry about that - we were grateful for anything that came our way!!
Us too, it sounds a nice idea. Can't resist looking at the cute little clothes sometimes.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

i always tend to big bigger sizes as new babes always get loads of newborn stuff & they grow out of it in no time,
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:09 pm
Mozzie magnet

Oh goodie!! Legitimate shopping for baby clothes

OH joined me for a quick browse the other day and began hyperventilating after a few minutes - until he saw a rompersuit with the words 'Big Boy' on it and started sniggering To think this is the man I plan to start a family with...
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:34 pm
Ben and Dede

bredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud of

Hi I have a 4 month old and have travelled to Sydney with him. Books can always be bought in UK and can be heavy to post. There are some gorgeous clothes for babes with Sydney things on them- vests can be layered in cold UK easily but jump suits are a wee bit harder!! When we got here we had to go shopping and buy head supports and a pushchair sunscreen cover and a baby support for going in water which attaches to parents for showers etc (our 1st apartment didn't have a bath and we use it in the sea and in shower at beach i.e. good for pools). Both of these I haven't seen in UK.

My 4 month old is 5 kgs and wears 00 if that is any help. Hope you enjoy shopping.

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:43 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I find target better than K mart. Also since arriving I have seen a couple of my daughters Next tops in Big W of all places, identical they were. Over here in Perth we have an outlet mall which has discounted Pumpkin Patch store, 35% off on some things. Worth looking to see if you have one near you.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:15 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
but where could they get a Ozzie t-shirt in the UK?

You mean an Ozzie t-shirt made in China??
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good look round Birkenhead Point, very close to you, and DFO isn't far away.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:32 pm
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Have a good look round Birkenhead Point, very close to you, and DFO isn't far away.
Good suggestions, I might even be able to get some winter stuff there.

Cheers everyone. I've just spent my lunch break looking at baby clothes in David Jones, beyond the budget but soooo cute.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I find target better than K mart. Also since arriving I have seen a couple of my daughters Next tops in Big W of all places, identical they were. Over here in Perth we have an outlet mall which has discounted Pumpkin Patch store, 35% off on some things. Worth looking to see if you have one near you.

Ooooh whereabouts is that ? I haven't found that one yet
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
Ooooh whereabouts is that ? I haven't found that one yet
Its up at Harbourtown in the City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.