Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parents - Can You Recommend A Book to Read with Kids That Explains THOSE Questions?

Parents - Can You Recommend A Book to Read with Kids That Explains THOSE Questions?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:27 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Parents - Can You Recommend A Book to Read with Kids That Explains THOSE Questions?

Our 7yo is showing a real interest in her body just now and has begun to ask lots of questions about where do babies come from etc? We've tried to explain a few concepts in very simple terms but she seems to need more of an explanation.

We were thinking that a good thing to do might be to buy a book that we can read together as a family and which we can dip in an out of when particular questions arise. Idealy, it would be worded in a way that's age appropriate for little ones but also which gives us oldies some guidance too.

Can anyone recommend any books that helped them?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:30 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents - Can You Recommend A Book to Read with Kids That Explains THOSE Question

Originally Posted by herrchook
Our 7yo is showing a real interest in her body just now and has begun to ask lots of questions about where do babies come from etc? We've tried to explain a few concepts in very simple terms but she seems to need more of an explanation.

We were thinking that a good thing to do might be to buy a book that we can read together as a family and which we can dip in an out of when particular questions arise. Idealy, it would be worded in a way that's age appropriate for little ones but also which gives us oldies some guidance too.

I think Borat wrote a book about anatomy and sex once.

I think it was called "Man's hrum & woman vazjin make sexy time"
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents - Can You Recommend A Book to Read with Kids That Explains THOSE Question

Use your ingenuity! I remember when my 2 oldest asked questions when I was pregnant, 2 and 3 years old. How does the baby eat? Used an electric heater to explain that one. When they asked how it got out I told them from an opening between my legs. I drew the line when they asked to see! lol Think the curliest one was when at 8 my youngest son said,when I was up a ladder putting paper on the wall, " Mum, I know Dads have sperm and Mums have eggs, but how do they get together?" Just managed to stay on the ladder, continued papering, and explained intercourse in a very matter of fact way. There was a long pause, then the response," Seems like an awful lot of trouble. Wouldn't it be easier just to take a pill or something?" I must add he has a different opinion now! So you see it's not that hard to explain things. If you can find some object that the child is familiar with to equate your answer to it makes it easier for them to understand and surprise yourself when you inadvertantly find the right words!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

"How Did I Begin" by Mick Manning & Brita Granstrom

Bought it with me from the UK but you should be able to get it here.

HTH
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:24 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Use your ingenuity! I remember when my 2 oldest asked questions when I was pregnant, 2 and 3 years old. How does the baby eat? Used an electric heater to explain that one. When they asked how it got out I told them from an opening between my legs. I drew the line when they asked to see! lol Think the curliest one was when at 8 my youngest son said,when I was up a ladder putting paper on the wall, " Mum, I know Dads have sperm and Mums have eggs, but how do they get together?" Just managed to stay on the ladder, continued papering, and explained intercourse in a very matter of fact way. There was a long pause, then the response," Seems like an awful lot of trouble. Wouldn't it be easier just to take a pill or something?" I must add he has a different opinion now! So you see it's not that hard to explain things. If you can find some object that the child is familiar with to equate your answer to it makes it easier for them to understand and surprise yourself when you inadvertantly find the right words!
We're having talks like that already, I just want something she can read with us as she's currently asking some anatomiccally minded questions too and I think diagrams are needed .
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:25 am
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by OzSheila
"How Did I Begin" by Mick Manning & Brita Granstrom

Bought it with me from the UK but you should be able to get it here.

HTH
Thanks, will have a look at that one
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

when i was pregnant my 5 and 3 yr old wanted to know how did the baby get there ?

i replied that mummy and daddy had a very special cuddle and made a baby which mummy had in her tummy till it got very big and then came out

for a few weeks my kids played mummys,daddys and babies with my 5 yr old son always being the one who ended up with a doll up his top -
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:00 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

'Mummy laid an egg' by Babette Cole is an excellent book, that seemed to satisfy the curiosity of our then, 7 year old who was firing all the usual awkward questions. It's a very funny book.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:02 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

We liked Mummy Laid an Egg by Babette Cole, though I can't really remember how old our girls were when we read that. It appealed to my oh sense of humour - but then, he is a psychiatrist, so maybe not much of a recommendation!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

christina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nicechristina225 is just really nice

Sorry I don't have any recommendations but this reminded me of an ad we have in the uk, and thought I would share.

Makes me laugh every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzaOgWSfJnY
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

'Let's Talk About Where Babies Come From' by Robie Harris. It is Family Planning Association approved.
We gave it to our eldest when he was about 7. The illustrations are very child friendly as is the text. Our version was published in 1999 so there may be a newer version.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Best question from my 8 yr old was "what are condoms for?" I told him very matter of fact, the ins and outs and he just shrugged his shoulders and went "OK"
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
We liked Mummy Laid an Egg by Babette Cole, though I can't really remember how old our girls were when we read that. It appealed to my oh sense of humour - but then, he is a psychiatrist, so maybe not much of a recommendation!!
I bought this for my sister to share with her kids....
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:05 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

I don't think I should recommend anything - I think I explained a bit too much to my girls as they are now adamant they don't want children - ever and will adopt instead

Didn't someone on here say their dh is a pyschiatrist - we may need you in about 20 years
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

RAZZLE.........it worked for me when I found it on top of dads wardrobe ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.