Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Parenting opinions please!

Parenting opinions please!

Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parenting opinions please!

We just had this conversation with our daughter last weekend. She had been working on a casual rate for the past year while she finished high school so the only money she was expected to pay us was for her car insurance and she had to put petrol in the car herself. Since her apprenticeship was made formal and she's going to be working set hours we've decided to charge her 25% of her wages up to a maximum of $100/wk. When she did balk a bit at it we told her to take a look around for flat shares or her own place for $100 per week including all she could eat, laundry service, unlimited internet, Foxtel, a pool, etc. Not surprisingly she decided that 25% up to $100 per week wasn't a bad deal after all.

What she doesn't know is that we've opened a savings account for her board money to go into. When she's ready to move into her own place what we save for her will add nicely to what she saves for herself.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

great idea.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We just had this conversation with our daughter last weekend. She had been working on a casual rate for the past year while she finished high school so the only money she was expected to pay us was for her car insurance and she had to put petrol in the car herself. Since her apprenticeship was made formal and she's going to be working set hours we've decided to charge her 25% of her wages up to a maximum of $100/wk. When she did balk a bit at it we told her to take a look around for flat shares or her own place for $100 per week including all she could eat, laundry service, unlimited internet, Foxtel, a pool, etc. Not surprisingly she decided that 25% up to $100 per week wasn't a bad deal after all.

What she doesn't know is that we've opened a savings account for her board money to go into. When she's ready to move into her own place what we save for her will add nicely to what she saves for herself.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:31 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

All 3 of my sons paid rent once they started working. They had the first weeks wages free and then a percentage of what they picked up, they now realise having left home just how cheap it was. I think it's a very valuable lesson for them.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

My ex boyfriend.... Now 49 years old! Went back to live with his parents when we split up in 1988.......

They didn't charge him rent

he is still there.....

(love him to pieces, he is God Father to our children, great guy.. Independently wealthy... I have his number is anyone is interested.... )
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My ex boyfriend (fiancee) went back to live with his mother. As far as I know it didn't work out living with his male friend either, after I broke off the engagement.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:07 am
Just Joined

caronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura aboutcaronandrod has a spectacular aura about

As soon as my kids were working, whether part time/full time etc we had a rule in the house - 20% income into the house as board/keep, 20% into their savings account and the remaining 60% was theirs to do with as they chose. My daughter has long since left home and told me that she thought this has really helped her manage her own money ow she has bills to pay. At the end of the day, I think its a pretty good deal for grown up kids at home. If I could spend 6-% of my salary on whatever I wanted I'd be laughing lol
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
My ex boyfriend.... Now 49 years old! Went back to live with his parents when we split up in 1988.......

They didn't charge him rent

he is still there.....

(love him to pieces, he is God Father to our children, great guy.. Independently wealthy... I have his number is anyone is interested.... )
Have only just realized the irony in that post.... Living with mybparents and all
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:48 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Have only just realized the irony in that post.... Living with mybparents and all
No, no, no, no, no.

In fact, no.

Your parents are living with you!!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:00 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
No, no, no, no, no.

In fact, no.

Your parents are living with you!!
Yes, but it's still quite funny though
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:50 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

30% of whatever I earned is what I had to pay and it'll be the same for my two.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We could well be into a cultural difference here.... I've half an idea that it's quiet common for Aussie's not to charge their student/young adult kids rent.

Which means although it was the norm in the UK when I was growing up and appears to now... they could be out of kilter with their peers.

All of my adult kids have baulked at paying rent at home claiming their friends dont. I still managed to get rent out of them, but at a much lower rate than I would have at first. Hence tread carefully forget the 33pct (unless your prepared to tide them through any bad times) and go for the 80 buck figure.

Just my opinion of course.

I need to research this a little more closely and not just go on what my kids have told me.... I do know that none of the parents at my workplace charge their adult kids rent.... but their kids are doing things like buying houses and saving for more an doing them up etc etc.

Even our single mum neighbour freind doesn't charge her fully working 20 yo daughter.
Yes - I too found this out. Both of my young adults paid there way - around about a $50 per week for son that was 6 years ago but he was earning money as an apprentice. Daughter (step) had the unit/granny flat for free for a few months then I asked for a $100 per week plus she paid the electricity bills and bought her own food - but then she was earning and taking home approx $650 per week.

But the other stay at home young adults did not pay anything according to my sources.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

it has been very supportive and useful reading all your comments on this subject.
We had our family meeting last weekend and it all went well. They have both agreed that they can afford to help out and were pleasantly surprised when I said 25% to a maximum of $100 per week. My only condition on that was that if they have to show me that they are saving some, even if only a couple of dollars each pay day. They also asked for a condition that it is open to review if their status takes a down turn. I obviously agreed, I would have reviewed it even if they hadn't asked but they don't need know that hey!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Glad it was sorted amicably.