British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Palaszczuk gets Feds to stump up for PCR tests (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/palaszczuk-gets-feds-stump-up-pcr-tests-941689/)

Brisbannite Nov 23rd 2021 9:15 am

Palaszczuk gets Feds to stump up for PCR tests

Palaszczuk has managed to get the Feds to back down on their refusal to pay for more accurate PCR tests, again putting the safety of Queenslanders before the Federal Government's dogma:

Ms Palaszczuk released a statement welcoming comments by Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt that "the Commonwealth and states jointly fund 50/50 tests for … people who require a test as a result of state or territory health order".
"I said we work best when we work together. This proves it," Ms Palaszczuk said.
Ms Palaszczuk had earlier defended mandatory PCR testing for those wanting to enter the state from December 17, saying it was necessary to protect Queenslanders.
"If someone came in without a PCR test and had the virus, it would spread like wildfire through the unvaccinated population of Queensland," she said.
"I don't want to see the people of Queensland get COVID for Christmas. The Federal Government might, but I don't." https://www.9news.com.au/national/qu...5-f3f79ff8c031
Right. Now we just need her to work on this ridiculous proposal to charge people to buy rapid tests from supermarkets. They were handing out lateral flow tests like candy in the UK until quite recently, it beggars belief that the Feds want us to pay for them here in Australia, making health something that only the financially well off can afford to pay for.

Beoz Nov 23rd 2021 10:31 am

Re: Palaszczuk gets Feds to stump up for PCR tests

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13074884)
Palaszczuk has managed to get the Feds to back down on their refusal to pay for more accurate PCR tests, again putting the safety of Queenslanders before the Federal Government's dogma:

Right. Now we just need her to work on this ridiculous proposal to charge people to buy rapid tests from supermarkets. They were handing out lateral flow tests like candy in the UK until quite recently, it beggars belief that the Feds want us to pay for them here in Australia, making health something that only the financially well off can afford to pay for.

Rapid Ant is $10 per test if you get the 5 pack from Chemist Warehouse. Hardly a test for wealthy people.

Your article is not quite clear as to what, if anything, is being supplemented.

While I do agree PCR testing requirements in general are expensive and annoying, Queensland need to decide if they want to be part of the rest of Australia or not. If they are permitting travel only after a PCR test and expect the rest of Australia to foot the bill then Queensland can again, go F themselves.

Brisbannite Nov 23rd 2021 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13074884)

And today I learned that GST is charged on rapid tests because they are not a 'medical aid or appliance' that is listed in either schedule 3 to the GST Act or the GST Regulations. i.e. they are not GST free. So not only are the Feds disregarding social equity in Australia, they're taxing it too. Shameful.

Beoz Nov 23rd 2021 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13075107)
And today I learned that GST is charged on rapid tests because they are not a 'medical aid or appliance' that is listed in either schedule 3 to the GST Act or the GST Regulations. i.e. they are not GST free. So not only are the Feds disregarding social equity in Australia, they're taxing it too. Shameful.

Even worse, the Palette won't even allow the use of Rapid tests because she's a caveman and Queensland is well behind again.

Again we will pay for Queenspand. You're welcome.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...e0be04776e0a76

Beoz Nov 23rd 2021 8:04 pm

So, despite all the bluster from the poster, The Palette has played politics again and at the expense of the rest of Australia and is now allowing the the text message version of the PCR test with a NEGATIVE printed in the text. These tests are for those with symptoms, not travellers, but anyway, easy to forge and re-write POSITIVE with a NEGATIVE. She is a piece of work on all fronts, however great for the tour operators.

Beoz Nov 23rd 2021 8:13 pm

Ha ha ha. The Palette shut down by Hunt. She is a piece of work. She just changed her own rules for Xmas then tried to blame the feds. What an awful person she is.

Brisbannite Nov 24th 2021 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13075107)

Back to the PCR tests though.

South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia all require negative PCR tests 72 hours before entry under their re-opening border rules.

In QLD if you were going to other states the test was free. So its great that the Feds have finally agreed that the test should be free for all states, not just the ones that Scomo wants to undermine because their Premiers are Labor. And we all know that how QLD votes so does the country in a federal election.

Earlier today, Deputy Premier Steven Miles accused the federal government of running a "clearly orchestrated campaign to confuse people".

He said it was the media reporting that tests would cost travellers and the state government had been responding to questions on that basis.

"We never floated that, there was never an announcement from the state government that it would cost people," he said.

"We were asked whether people would need the test and we were presented with the argument that in some cases that would cost people money, and we said they would still require that test."

Confirmation that visitors would not have to pay for COVID tests to enter the state came as a welcome relief to the state's struggling tourism industry.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...cost/100647466
I've got a lot of time for Steven Miles, he was an excellent health minister and has built up a lot of good faith within the state. I certainly believe him and Anna P's word before I place any credence on anything Scotty from Marketing says. This is the man who believes he has never lied in public office - but er...'Shanghai Sam', anyone? (Google it if you want a laugh at how embarrassingly awful Scomo is).

Beoz Nov 24th 2021 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13075256)

South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and Western Australia all require negative PCR tests 72 hours before entry under their re-opening border rules.

In QLD if you were going to other states the test was free. So its great that the Feds have finally agreed that the test should be free for all states, not just the ones that Scomo wants to undermine because their Premiers are Labor. And we all know that how QLD votes so does the country in a federal election.

It was always free for Queensland. Your silly horrible premier demanded a certificate and suddenly changed her tune when her brain woke up and realised no one was coming for Xmas. But if you want to drink the Kool Aid go ahead

Brisbannite Nov 25th 2021 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Brisbannite (Post 13075256)

I've got a lot of time for Steven Miles, he was an excellent health minister and has built up a lot of good faith within the state. I certainly believe him and Anna P's word before I place any credence on anything Scotty from Marketing says. This is the man who believes he has never lied in public office - but er...'Shanghai Sam', anyone? (Google it if you want a laugh at how embarrassingly awful Scomo is).

Lol, there's an article about Shanghai Sam in The Guardian yesterday. What a coincidence!

Scott Morrison refuses to admit he ever said 'Shanghai Sam'. Here he is saying it on camera – video https://www.theguardian.com/australi...n-camera-video

Beoz Dec 20th 2021 10:04 pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...99ccc7f51bc3bb

Wow. Queensland's stupid policies of negative test requirements and leaching off the taxpayer funded free PCR system is causing all sorts of grief in Sydney and Melbourne for those who actually need to get tested because they might have Covid.

She is a piece of work.