Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

To paint or not to paint??

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Should we paint or stain?
Yes paint them!
65.00%
No, they would look best stained
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

To paint or not to paint??

Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:06 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To paint or not to paint??

Originally Posted by quercus
If the wood is beautiful, I would not stain, only rub down with wire wool and lacquer, or even wax polish, to bring out the natural colour and grain. If the wood is nothing special, paint it to match the rest.
I have waxed mine and it looks great
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I would oil them if it's good timber. Paint is for walls, not good timber.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asher
I have waxed mine and it looks great

The door!....you are still talking about the door?.....why would you wax a door?.....they're not hairy to start with!

Last edited by windog; Oct 4th 2007 at 8:48 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:56 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
As you may know, we are having a house built. All the doors and frames throughout the house are painted in a very light coffee colour, to co-ordinate with the walls.

Having a bit of a dilemma about what to do with the theatre room doors, and need some help please

The doors are solid wood, and I think they'd look lovely stained. My dilemma is, would this not look odd though, seen as the rest of the doors in the house are painted?
The theatre room is in the entrance hallway of the house, and there is only the master bedroom door (on the opposite side) in the near vicinity.

I've attached a picture of the door to help your decision making

Thanks
for doors in a nice solid wood i would normally go with stained but if the other doors in the house are painted then i vote painted! (i think )

a x
Old Oct 4th 2007, 11:03 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

As you may know, we are having a house built. All the doors and frames throughout the house are painted in a very light coffee colour, to co-ordinate with the walls.

Having a bit of a dilemma about what to do with the theatre room doors, and need some help please

The doors are solid wood, and I think they'd look lovely stained. My dilemma is, would this not look odd though, seen as the rest of the doors in the house are painted?
The theatre room is in the entrance hallway of the house, and there is only the master bedroom door (on the opposite side) in the near vicinity.

I've attached a picture of the door to help your decision making

Thanks
okay, O/H is a painter and decorator, and has a good eye for decor and interior decorating etc. i asked his opinion, and he says paint them. they would stand out like a sore thumb otherwise. i dont know if this is any help or not?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:43 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks eveyone for your advice.

They've been painted, and they have painted clear stuff on the glass to protect it from the paint. When they are finished they just peel the clear stuff off, and all the paint comes off with it
Old Oct 20th 2007, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks eveyone for your advice.

They've been painted, and they have painted clear stuff on the glass to protect it from the paint. When they are finished they just peel the clear stuff off, and all the paint comes off with it
Fantastic! Hope they look good!