Paint

Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:56 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paint

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Gloss or semi gloss is absolute rubbish- peels off and needs several coats. This is despite sanding and undercoating. I hate Aussie paint.
You have made my day! Seriously, I thought I was doing something wrong. Aussie paint haters of the world unite.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Not sure, if they would let me know where they are, I would count the little bastards.
You need help finding them
Old Dec 10th 2011, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by eddie007
You need help finding them
That was artistic license my dear.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well I've just finished painting the entire bloody house. I used three different companies paint, British Paints, Dulux and Taubmans. The British Paints, at least in the colours I was was using, was the best of the bunch, though the jelly beans, free with two tins of Dulux, did swing things their way for a while.
We have painted 2 rooms recently, cant remember the name of the cream paint but it needed 2 coates. Bought british paint in pink and it only needed one coat Will defo use again

Lynn xx
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:22 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Used to sell minerals to paint companies and we did a lot of tests on the various brands. It's always changing with formulae being adapted all the time.

Best we found for opacity (coverage) was Wattyl.

In fact if I was buying today I'd go for Wattyl or Solver.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

My own experience was that cheaper brands were crap. Then we bought a "slave for a day" at a charity auction. He was a painter by trade we had him repaint all of our rear veranda using Dulux. Not a bad job for a $50 buck outlay + paint. We bought his Mrs as well [$20 bucks] she emptied our well over stocked pantry, washed the shelves & re arranged everything so it was neat & tidy.
Could do with another one of those auctions
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My own experience was that cheaper brands were crap. Then we bought a "slave for a day" at a charity auction. He was a painter by trade we had him repaint all of our rear veranda using Dulux. Not a bad job for a $50 buck outlay + paint. We bought his Mrs as well [$20 bucks] she emptied our well over stocked pantry, washed the shelves & re arranged everything so it was neat & tidy.
Could do with another one of those auctions
Perhaps a phillipino maid would help... You can borrow the rockingham 4 and get her in under false pretences of having young children (sorry, I KNOW kevin is past her sell by date, but they're a package deal) as an au pair.....

They break up for school holidays early next week, I can have them to you by Thursday?....

Did I mention their beloved Grandmother will be visiting them for Christmas.... And January
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a phillipino maid would help... You can borrow the rockingham 4 and get her in under false pretences of having young children (sorry, I KNOW kevin is past her sell by date, but they're a package deal) as an au pair.....

They break up for school holidays early next week, I can have them to you by Thursday?....

Did I mention their beloved Grandmother will be visiting them for Christmas.... And January
Errr no thanks Ed
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My own experience was that cheaper brands were crap.
Normally it's best to avoid special promotion items of the big brands too. They make inferior quality batches just for these events. Opacity is the usual failing on these.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
Never had problems in the UK, be it with spraying or brushing, always managed to get a decent finish. NZ and OZ - just can not get anything near the quality of finish. Adhesion problems, runs, drying anomalies, re-coating issues.

Getting really frustrated - is the paint crap?
I've done a lot of painting recently. Dulux and Solver are the best. I prefer the Solver trade low-sheen paint - very good quality and finish. It's not cheap though - $127 for 10l.

I've never had to do more than 2 coats.

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 10th 2011 at 5:22 am.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished painting a very big room with Dulux. 1 Undercoat, 2 topcoats. Result - perfect.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Just finished painting a very big room with Dulux. 1 Undercoat, 2 topcoats. Result - perfect.
Jeez that a lot of work.....

Am I suffering from false memory syndrome when I say back in the uk ONE coat of a decent brand on a properly prepped wall did it for us???
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
This is how to do it.
Do it properly first time and it will last for years.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Am I suffering from false memory syndrome when I say back in the uk ONE coat of a decent brand on a properly prepped wall did it for us???
Can remember painting walls in the UK - was always wallpaper and that was a lot of work!
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:12 am

That's what we did - one of those paint pad things, whole room in an hour. Glosswork is different though, primer, undercoat, gloss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.