Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Oz TV Programming. If You Had The Choice?

Wikiposts

Oz TV Programming. If You Had The Choice?

Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:48 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz TV Programming. If You Had The Choice?

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
OK, would love to watch Have I Got News for You, They Think it's All Over & Room 101 (if it's still on), so how do I know if my DVD player is compatible or not?

Actually, Im completely confused with the bittorrent part as well , I might get Dagboy to look at it .

Some of the things we used to love watching like Graham Norton are on Foxtel over here, so not so bad.
Either look at the manual or goolge the make of DVD player and DivX which is the format of all these dodgy files.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching "Have I got News" and "Jonathon Ross" for the last time before we left and feeling really quite sad I wouldn't see them again. When I have nothing to do I will try and work out that nova/torrent/lots of stuff I don't understand and impress myself

Not aware of missing them since I got here - just wiped them from the memory bank I think
Old Mar 7th 2006, 5:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Renth, I will check it out.

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I remember watching "Have I got News" and "Jonathon Ross" for the last time before we left and feeling really quite sad I wouldn't see them again. When I have nothing to do I will try and work out that nova/torrent/lots of stuff I don't understand and impress myself

Not aware of missing them since I got here - just wiped them from the memory bank I think
Tried to leave you a rude comment in your blogspot but it wouldnt let me leave one annonymously, I had to sign up
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Thanx Renth, I will check it out.

Tried to leave you a rude comment in your blogspot but it wouldnt let me leave one annonymously, I had to sign up
I'm not completely useless at this computer stuff then Better go and have a look.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:37 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
Hi,
We all know the tv programming in Oz is Cr*p to say the least.
If you had the choice to watch anything from any UK TV Channels, what would it be?
Maybe something off Sky, or terrestrial tv, a series or film?
Just being curious here.
Cheers,
Paul
Actually I was going to start a thread - but this ones nice and close.

I dont watch much TV. In fact next to nothing would be a good description. My wife and I study, read books, use the internet or.....(dont tell anyone) talk.... :scared:

We do have a TV and a digital set top box thing and at Uni everyone keeps on saying have you seen this or that etc. So I'm making an effort to try and not to appear to be a completely boring old git and getting a flavour of the TV here.

Now - heres the thing. I dont find it that bad. Really I dont. The only exception is that the BBC used to show some great dramas and things but then again I dont have to pay $300 a year for the privilige of owning a TV set here.

Seems to be a lot of US import stuff - but was SKY any different really ?

Just my thoughts on it. I think that the shouting down of Australian TV to be the crappest thing on the planet is perhaps an over reaction. US TV is my idea of horror - although having worked in Egypt if you really want bad TV.....
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Now - heres the thing. I dont find it that bad. Really I dont. The only exception is that the BBC used to show some great dramas and things but then again.
I agree. I think the problems arise if your life revolves around the telly - and I think being *really* obsessed with it, is a British disease. The best thing I ever did was get the Sky Plus box - because I watch way less TV now, but when I do, it's always something I want to see. I'll certainly be getting the equivalent box in Oz.

At the start of the week I whiz through the program guide and stick an 'R' for record against anything interesting - some things I set up with Series Link to record an entire series. Then, when I do want to watch TV, I don't sit down and skip through the channels in the vain hope of finding something - I open the planner up and pick the first program on the list. So if I've got an hour or two spare I watch something I really want to see, rather than what the broadcasters have decreed I shall watch at that particularly time of the day.

It's ultimately about 'push' or 'pull' TV - in one case you're the boss and you get the very best out of a flawed system, with the other, they're the boss and you sit there like some grazing cow taking whatever's thrown at you! If there's something I *really* want to watch, that isn't on Oz TV, then I shall fire up Azureus and download it.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm not completely useless at this computer stuff then Better go and have a look.
Ahhhhh, what I meant was I tried to leave one annonymously but it wouldnt let me, so I didnt .