Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Oz Car Insurance for Poms - Feel like your being Done?????

Oz Car Insurance for Poms - Feel like your being Done?????

Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz Car Insurance for Poms - Feel like your being Done?????

Originally Posted by spottydog
one thing to watch out with Allianz is, if you read the small print, their inexperienced driver excess applies until you have had an Australian drivers licence for 2 years.
One thing I liked about Suncorp is that the no claims is in place forever, that was a big plus for me too when I was ringing round.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
One thing I liked about Suncorp is that the no claims is in place forever, that was a big plus for me too when I was ringing round.
AAMI has that too, I guess its the equivalent of protected no claims bonus
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We had the same problem with Budget and we had Aussie licences. They were a total pain over the UK NCB. In the end we needed to get insurance quickly and went with the bank (St George) we were going to go with GIO but their computer was down, so they lost out.

Since then we do what we used to do in the UK, shop around each year. We've been with Allianz for the last couple of renewals. We tried Youi but they were more expensive! We've had our little car 3 years now and actually the insurance dropped quite a bit this year. We also found when we moved out of the city it dropped too...the reason? We were living in Brighton and because it is full of posh cars you have to pay more because they cost more to repair..even though we have a Barina !

Shop around!

KK
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:54 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If you were a member of the AA in the U.K you can swap straight over to the RACQ in QLD no fee for the remainder of your years subscription. That entitles you to full ncd if you had it in the U.K & it gives you further bonuses for being a member for so many years. I was a member for over 10 years in the U.K so instantly qualified as "RACQ Silver"
After shopping around RACQ was cheapest so we have all our insurance with them. House, cars, boat & even the dog is insured with them
Old Aug 7th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Shop around!
That's the best bit of advice. We were with Budget but their renewal was $1100, $200 more than last year. Went online and quotes from other companies ranged from $600 (Bingle) to $1300 (Gio). When I tried Budget online as a new customer the quote was only $800! Talk about ripping off your current customers!

We decided to go with AAMI, a saving on Budget of about $350. When we called Budget to cancel the renewal they didn't even offer to match the AAMI quote. This despite the fact we'd been with them for 2 years and hadn't made a single claim.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:49 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ChrisB720
Just wanted to get some opinion.... having a nightmare getting my first car insured for a competitive price in QLD - nothing flash - just a 1.8 Astra - I still have my UK licence as i only arrived last week, so I accept a small premium, but I have 10 yrs NCB - with the certificate of proof from my last company in the UK and they have told me they will not recognise it unless I provide the last 8 years Insurance history from the UK COMPLETE nightmare - ended up going from a Rate 1 to Rate 6 - which means an extra $500 p/a!!!!

PLEASE help me as I am starting to get paranoid this is some kinda Ozzie joke I need some top tips, companies or general counsel. Cheers

PS Budget Car Insurance ..... not in my books there not!!!!! Barstewards!

CCB
Couple things you need to understand about aus. Budget in that they imply you'll pay less means it's crap in every way possible to imagine. If it appears that you pay less on the front end they're going to screw you badly on the back end - so to speak. And everyone is getting ripped off here by big business. The economy isn't built on monopolies but it's very close. Government hasn't come right out and admitted it but they're desperately trying to find ways of correcting it.

Last edited by furbacchione; Aug 7th 2010 at 4:52 am.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tartankoala
When I tried Budget online as a new customer the quote was only $800! Talk about ripping off your current customers!

We decided to go with AAMI, a saving on Budget of about $350.
You may find many are like that. AAMI are the same, with new policies often cheaper than a renewal.

I did have an excellent claims service with AAMI recently though. Home policy though, not car.

Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You may find many are like that. AAMI are the same, with new policies often cheaper than a renewal.

I did have an excellent claims service with AAMI recently though. Home policy though, not car.
I have heard that it possible for people to cancel their existing policy and then take a new one, as opposed to doing a renewal - that way they get the cheaper rate! SOunds crazy to me that companies allow it, but if it works
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have heard that it possible for people to cancel their existing policy and then take a new one, as opposed to doing a renewal - that way they get the cheaper rate! SOunds crazy to me that companies allow it, but if it works
I've done that twice now

Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've done that twice now
me too
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisB720
Just wanted to get some opinion.... having a nightmare getting my first car insured for a competitive price in QLD - nothing flash - just a 1.8 Astra - I still have my UK licence as i only arrived last week, so I accept a small premium, but I have 10 yrs NCB - with the certificate of proof from my last company in the UK and they have told me they will not recognise it unless I provide the last 8 years Insurance history from the UK COMPLETE nightmare - ended up going from a Rate 1 to Rate 6 - which means an extra $500 p/a!!!!

PLEASE help me as I am starting to get paranoid this is some kinda Ozzie joke I need some top tips, companies or general counsel. Cheers

PS Budget Car Insurance ..... not in my books there not!!!!! Barstewards!

CCB
Never had a problem.
We got a 1 rating from the moment we arrived.
Car insurance is less here than in the UK.
Claiming has been very easy and stress free.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mic n mat
Couple things you need to understand about aus. Budget in that they imply you'll pay less means it's crap in every way possible to imagine. If it appears that you pay less on the front end they're going to screw you badly on the back end - so to speak. And everyone is getting ripped off here by big business. The economy isn't built on monopolies but it's very close. Government hasn't come right out and admitted it but they're desperately trying to find ways of correcting it.
We are with Budget.
We have been with them for nearly 5 years.
We have made 2 claims in the last few years.
Both claims were handled well.
Our premiums have risen - but not by much.
My experience with insurance companies here has been better than the UK.
Car insurance costs less here than in the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:57 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mic n mat
The economy isn't built on monopolies but it's very close.
There are more insurance companies than you can shake a shitty stick at and you're talking about monopolies?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

We had no problems getting insurance hubby got the top rating and did not have to show anything for it this was with RACQ.

Hope you get it sorted