Our story

Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

.Hannah.David.Charlie. will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our story

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;7197767]
Originally Posted by .Hannah.David.Charlie.

Thanks...

Now where has that ignore button gone.??
Pointless?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:14 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hannah, David - I've been in your corner defending you guys up to now, but I really have to say - if you put yourself out there on a public forum, you are going to get advice and opinions you don't like as well as those you do.

Some people may have been less than helpful, but a lot are trying to help you. They have made the move in a variety of circumstances and you can learn a lot from them. Don't assume every bit of negativity is criticism.

(Reading across threads is normal, too - you get to know a forum "personality" and their story.)
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Well, I just want to say good luck to you all. I hope you've taken time to read up on all of the ins and outs of what you are about to undertake and that it all works out for you. It does seem very quick but if you are sure then you are sure.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't read any of the other posts that I being referred to so sorry if I am missing the point.

I have just finished Uni and one of my fellow students on my course was here on a temp student visa, he brought over his family (from Kenya) with 2 primary-aged children (international school fees) and had to pay international rates for his study.

They lived in a very small unit and both parents worked their 20 hours, her in a nursing home and him (the student) worked nights as a security guard. As far as I am aware they had no other means of support or money behind them.

Now I am not saying they did things the easy way, definitely not, and to be honest I could not have done it. But they did manage and he finished his course - so it can be done.

Having said that my course is not for an in-demand vocation and last time I spoke to him he had until March to find a business to sponsor him so he could stay or they would have to leave.

But with David's partner, is that Hannah I got a bit confused, they should have a better chance doing hairdressing.

Another friend I have came here on a student visa (hairdressing), completely different situation they are surviving on the proceeds of their UK house sale. They came out on the chance that her hubby could get sponsored once here, which they have been lucky enough to achieve.

Sounds to me that David does know the restrictions, (I assume he also knows he will have to pay the international student fees upfront - with NO help available - my hairdresser friend is paying around $18,000 per year I think) - and is also aware they may have to leave when the study finishes. I am also assuming he is aware that he will NOT be entitled to any help from the government, family allowance, income support, rent help etc. and will have to account for private health care cover too. I don't know about child care costs sorry, but I assume they would be full rate too.

Anyway, assuming he has done his homework and has researched properly - as I said it can be done, so good luck to you :-)

Nikki
x
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 1:06 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, but i think that this is something we have to worry about. I would never do anything that will make my baby go without. You dont really know anything about us, we will get where we want to be if its a struggle for us i will make damned sure my baby does not go without.

Hello Hannah, I think that people here are just concerned that you guys might be about to make a big mistake. People have asked how you are going to manage, and you've replied "we'll just get by".

To me, that seems like you are putting your head in the sand a little bit.

If you had answered something like "We'll be ok because we've got some money coming in from x,y and z, and that will be enough to cover our bills etc...we've researched into what costs we'll face..." then people would be responding to you "good luck! Hope it all goes well!"

But can you see why you are not getting those responses ? By simply replying "we'll worry about it, its none of your business" - it makes people think that you haven't really thought this all through.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 1:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hannah and David, this is not intended as critisism in any way at all, but have you thought about doing your trade course in UK where you'll have the support of family while you study? The simple fact is that you both are quite young (19 if I remember right) and Australia is not going anywhere. If you stay in UK to do your course David could work full time while you study and you wouldn't have to pay international fees for your schooling, pay for health care and all the associated things that go with being a new immigrant.

Both of you have said that you will get by and that's great if it's only the 2 of you. But please don't underestimate the power of familiarity when you've got a little baby. I know myself when my daughter was a little babe I needed to have my mother around when she was very ill and hospitalised. If you're in Australia and all your family is over in UK how would you cope with something like that? You and David have also never said what your families think about you upping sticks to the unknown. What do your parents think of the move? Are they supportive?

Or if David got sick and couldn't work? Could you really survive on only 1 person working 20 hours per week or less? It's also not easy to find a job for 20 hours or less, never mind 2 of them.

I remember very well being 19 and wanting what I wanted when I wanted it. But, there is a saying that all good things come to those who wait. As a mother I would urge you to think carefully about waiting vs. coming 1/2 way around the world on a whim.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mysnix
I haven't read any of the other posts that I being referred to so sorry if I am missing the point.

I have just finished Uni and one of my fellow students on my course was here on a temp student visa, he brought over his family (from Kenya) with 2 primary-aged children (international school fees) and had to pay international rates for his study.

They lived in a very small unit and both parents worked their 20 hours, her in a nursing home and him (the student) worked nights as a security guard. As far as I am aware they had no other means of support or money behind them.

Now I am not saying they did things the easy way, definitely not, and to be honest I could not have done it. But they did manage and he finished his course - so it can be done.

Having said that my course is not for an in-demand vocation and last time I spoke to him he had until March to find a business to sponsor him so he could stay or they would have to leave.

But with David's partner, is that Hannah I got a bit confused, they should have a better chance doing hairdressing.

Another friend I have came here on a student visa (hairdressing), completely different situation they are surviving on the proceeds of their UK house sale. They came out on the chance that her hubby could get sponsored once here, which they have been lucky enough to achieve.

Sounds to me that David does know the restrictions, (I assume he also knows he will have to pay the international student fees upfront - with NO help available - my hairdresser friend is paying around $18,000 per year I think) - and is also aware they may have to leave when the study finishes. I am also assuming he is aware that he will NOT be entitled to any help from the government, family allowance, income support, rent help etc. and will have to account for private health care cover too. I don't know about child care costs sorry, but I assume they would be full rate too.they will be and you dont get any child benefit from the uk either

Anyway, assuming he has done his homework and has researched properly - as I said it can be done, so good luck to you :-)

Nikki
x
Originally Posted by markallwood
Hello Hannah, I think that people here are just concerned that you guys might be about to make a big mistake. People have asked how you are going to manage, and you've replied "we'll just get by".

To me, that seems like you are putting your head in the sand a little bit.

If you had answered something like "We'll be ok because we've got some money coming in from x,y and z, and that will be enough to cover our bills etc...we've researched into what costs we'll face..." then people would be responding to you "good luck! Hope it all goes well!"

But can you see why you are not getting those responses ? By simply replying "we'll worry about it, its none of your business" - it makes people think that you haven't really thought this all through.
well put mark it is hard to move over when you have money and a job but to do it with no or little money ? i wish them luck

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Hannah and David, this is not intended as critisism in any way at all, but have you thought about doing your trade course in UK where you'll have the support of family while you study? The simple fact is that you both are quite young (19 if I remember right) and Australia is not going anywhere. If you stay in UK to do your course David could work full time while you study and you wouldn't have to pay international fees for your schooling, pay for health care and all the associated things that go with being a new immigrant.

Both of you have said that you will get by and that's great if it's only the 2 of you. But please don't underestimate the power of familiarity when you've got a little baby. I know myself when my daughter was a little babe I needed to have my mother around when she was very ill and hospitalised. If you're in Australia and all your family is over in UK how would you cope with something like that? You and David have also never said what your families think about you upping sticks to the unknown. What do your parents think of the move? Are they supportive?

Or if David got sick and couldn't work? Could you really survive on only 1 person working 20 hours per week or less? It's also not easy to find a job for 20 hours or less, never mind 2 of them.

I remember very well being 19 and wanting what I wanted when I wanted it. But, there is a saying that all good things come to those who wait. As a mother I would urge you to think carefully about waiting vs. coming 1/2 way around the world on a whim.

how well said dorothy - you can give me mummy advice anytime

to david and hannah

i too remember being 19 and wanting to do stuff and really not thinking about stuff and especially wanting to do stuff when the oldies told me i could not do something

however on this - please think about doing your course in the uk - then applying to come to au on a pr visa -if you do the course in the uk you get lots of help over here you will not everything will be international fees

you will not get any help towards child costs from either goverments

medical costs are about $6,000- which you have to have as part of your visa requirments

i am not trying to be snotty or a cow but someone who has watched famlies come over on 457 - who have a full time job and struggle on the money they have - its not fun
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Well, I just want to say good luck to you all. I hope you've taken time to read up on all of the ins and outs of what you are about to undertake and that it all works out for you. It does seem very quick but if you are sure then you are sure.

Good luck.
Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mysnix

Sounds to me that David does know the restrictions, (I assume he also knows he will have to pay the international student fees upfront - with NO help available - my hairdresser friend is paying around $18,000 per year I think) - and is also aware they may have to leave when the study finishes. I am also assuming he is aware that he will NOT be entitled to any help from the government, family allowance, income support, rent help etc. and will have to account for private health care cover too. I don't know about child care costs sorry, but I assume they would be full rate too.

Nikki
x

Hi thanks for the advice. Yes we haev done our research and found all of the above out. We dont exaclty live a life of luxury here. (Davids part time at the min and im on maternity pay.) and we have never missed a bill or rent or infact gone without. I know we will manage.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Hi, Its not a whim. we have been looking at and planning this for well over a year now. As for family, yes they are supportive of us 100%. We do also have the resources to survive if god forbid it anything happened to us. David is completing his 3rd year studying to be an electrician and will complete this in june this year. This will give him a higher chance of getting employed.
Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:03 am
skye

You need to look at the employement opportunities here in Brisbane/Gold Coast - which are now hitting here with the economic downturn and also the cost of living - Rent is around $350 a week for a 1/2 bed unit (not a house) , fuel, health insurance, child care, food (expensive) furniture for your rental (if you can get one) and a car - public transport is not that good, I see you are doing a course who will look after your baby....and what if you cant get sponsorship after your course? and what will David do when he is here.... think seriously it is not an easy journey to make as most are telling you - it may seem greener on the other side of the world but believe me it still has its problems!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by skye
You need to look at the employement opportunities here in Brisbane/Gold Coast - which are now hitting here with the economic downturn and also the cost of living - Rent is around $350 a week for a 1/2 bed unit (not a house) , fuel, health insurance, child care, food (expensive) furniture for your rental (if you can get one) and a car - public transport is not that good, I see you are doing a course who will look after your baby....and what if you cant get sponsorship after your course? and what will David do when he is here.... think seriously it is not an easy journey to make as most are telling you - it may seem greener on the other side of the world but believe me it still has its problems!
I cant be bothered to repeat my self. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I cant be bothered to repeat my self. Thanks for the advice.
But Hannah, you've never said just what you will do for money and what kind of job David is going to get. All you have ever said is "we'll manage".

I think a lot of us here on this board are a bit older - probably closer to your parents' ages - and have been through the emigration process. We know how difficult it is both financially and emotionally and we're worried about two 19 year old kids (yes, at 19 you are still kids to me) and their 7 month old baby moving to the other side of the world with the attitude that you and David seem to be putting across.

If you truly do have a solid plan than I'm more than happy for you both. If not then I would urge you to please rethink the whole Australia thing for a couple of years. Look at what you are entitled to in UK and what you are NOT entitled to here. No rent or childcare subsidy in Australia. No NHS or Medicare. No unemployment benefit if one or both of you can't find work or lose your jobs. And believe me, not everyone just walks into a job. My husband was 9 months without a job when we moved to Australia and he had 20 years experience as an electronics engineer.

Do us all a favour and explain just how it is that you plan to support yourselves and your baby and then we can all rest assured you will be ok.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

But Hannah, you've never said just what you will do for money and what kind of job David is going to get. All you have ever said is "we'll manage".

I think a lot of us here on this board are a bit older - probably closer to your parents' ages - and have been through the emigration process. We know how difficult it is both financially and emotionally and we're worried about two 19 year old kids (yes, at 19 you are still kids to me) and their 7 month old baby moving to the other side of the world with the attitude that you and David seem to be putting across.

If you truly do have a solid plan than I'm more than happy for you both. If not then I would urge you to please rethink the whole Australia thing for a couple of years. Look at what you are entitled to in UK and what you are NOT entitled to here. No rent or childcare subsidy in Australia. No NHS or Medicare. No unemployment benefit if one or both of you can't find work or lose your jobs. And believe me, not everyone just walks into a job. My husband was 9 months without a job when we moved to Australia and he had 20 years experience as an electronics engineer.

Do us all a favour and explain just how it is that you plan to support yourselves and your baby and then we can all rest assured you will be ok.

But why do you need to be rest assured that we will be ok. Not being funny you dont even know us. Alls you know is what has been put on this forum. I understand where you are all coming from. Yeah maybe it wont work but at the end of it we have always got somewhere to come back to. Yeah we will have spent alot of money getting there but like you said we are only 19. We have our whole life to build ourselves back up again if godforbid we didnt get on in oz. We are people who are determained to get where we want to be and we will do this regardless of everyones advice. This is just one thing we need to find out for our selves. Thanks for everyones advice anyway it is appreciated. (even if it doesnt sound like it in this post)

Hannah
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

But why do you need to be rest assured that we will be ok. Not being funny you dont even know us. Alls you know is what has been put on this forum. I understand where you are all coming from. Yeah maybe it wont work but at the end of it we have always got somewhere to come back to. Yeah we will have spent alot of money getting there but like you said we are only 19. We have our whole life to build ourselves back up again if godforbid we didnt get on in oz. We are people who are determained to get where we want to be and we will do this regardless of everyones advice. This is just one thing we need to find out for our selves. Thanks for everyones advice anyway it is appreciated. (even if it doesnt sound like it in this post)

Hannah
I dont mean this post to be offensive to anyone. (david has read it and thinks i sound a bit funny) Sorry if it does, i dont mean it to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.