British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Our first impressions of Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/our-first-impressions-oz-568875/)

al150n Oct 23rd 2008 3:45 pm

Our first impressions of Oz

We got back at the weekend from 2 weeks just north of Perth. I got stopped at Perth airport for smuggling leaves :o. The lovely sniffer dog plonked himself down next to our buggy & when they had a look there were a load of old brown leaves in the basket under the buggy. It's been sat in the garage for 6 months unused so didn't even think to check if there was anything in there. Glad I didn't take my newer buggy as they'd have found acorns, etc.

We absolutely loved it & can't wait to move now which won't be for a while as hubby has just started a 2 year course & wants to get the qualifications from that as a back up before we go. Kids didn't want to come home & just loved being outdoors all the time. Beaches were gorgeous & couldn't believe how clean, tidy & well kept everywhere was & how friendly people were. Made us laugh as well that our friend flapped about missing the rush hour traffic getting out of Perth in the evening, she's obviously not experienced the M25 & M1 :rofl:

Any here's a link to some of our pics if anyone wants a look http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url & yes I know the tune has been used by someone else but thought it was a great bit of music!

Alison x

fairwayskid Oct 23rd 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Our first impressions of Oz

Hey Alison

Great Vid and love that song and some great pics as well. Its only when you see the kids enjoying themselves so much that you know you are doing the right thing.

Best of luck with you plans hope all goes well:thumbup:

Paddy:thumbsup:

irishfamily Oct 23rd 2008 11:22 pm

hey al150n love the pictures use seem to have had a ball the kids loved the beaches i see lol good luck with ur plans u won`t regret it we did`nt :thumbsup:

sidneee and kinnyboy Oct 24th 2008 1:22 am

Alsion, Your video is fantastic. It made me cry! Realised that we had hardly taken any photos - probably because we live here now so take it for granted that we can take photos anytime! Will get the camera out today and start snapping! Thanks for your unintentional kick up my arse!!!!!! See you when you get here! Sidneee XXXX PS Whereabouts in North Perth did you go? We are also in Perth but south. X

Christine.J Oct 24th 2008 9:24 am

Hi, I really enjoyed your pictures, you all looked like you were having a wonderful time. :thumbsup:
I can't wait to get there to see it for myself :)

asher Oct 24th 2008 9:38 am

The pictures are lovely :thumbsup:

kevncarlz Oct 24th 2008 10:15 am

hi nice pics we cant wait to go :thumbup:

helena39 Oct 24th 2008 11:36 am

Beautiful photos....what lovely children you have :thumbsup:

al150n Oct 24th 2008 12:18 pm

My kids certainly did enjoy it. The pair of them love being outside. Did have a couple of days were my son refused to walk on the beach though, one day he liked it, the next he didn't :unsure:

The flights were no where near as bad as we'd expected to be flying with 2 young kids & I would highly recommend Emirates. After all my flapping about spiders, etc before we went there were none to be seen. The only ones I spotted were in a toilet block on the beach at Quins & from my description I was told they were either small huntsmen or tarantulars.

I think it was actually good for us to stay with friends rather than a hotel as it gave us a bit more of an insight in to real life as such rather than it just being a holiday. I seemed to spend half the time there doing the washing & ironing for everyone & am now fed up with the fact I can't hang my washing out on line as it's to flammin cold & damp here. The one thing that will take a bit of getting use to is the sun rising in the west & not in the east, my sense of direction was dreadful while we were there. I was worried about it feeling so far away from home but it really didn't feel like we were on the other side of the world. When I phoned my Mum & my older kids the phone line was actually clearer than when I ring them from here. Although I know the flights aren't cheap it is only a day away from everyone & not as horrendous as I'd expected it to be.

Helena39 thanks for the compliment, you can have my daughter at the moment if you want her, she's doing my head in. She's still struggling with jet lag & is getting up at 5am, going to bed at 7pm (usual time) but refusing to have a nap in the day & she is horrid as she is so over tired. Even I've had a nap a couple of afternoons this week, so god knows how she's keeping going.

Alison x

Bibbs Oct 24th 2008 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 6905784)
The one thing that will take a bit of getting use to is the sun rising in the west & not in the east,

Erm .. what?

Icarus Oct 24th 2008 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bibbs (Post 6906106)
Erm .. what?

lol... i think i know what she means ..

helena39 Oct 24th 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 6905784)
My kids certainly did enjoy it. The pair of them love being outside. Did have a couple of days were my son refused to walk on the beach though, one day he liked it, the next he didn't :unsure:

The flights were no where near as bad as we'd expected to be flying with 2 young kids & I would highly recommend Emirates. After all my flapping about spiders, etc before we went there were none to be seen. The only ones I spotted were in a toilet block on the beach at Quins & from my description I was told they were either small huntsmen or tarantulars.

I think it was actually good for us to stay with friends rather than a hotel as it gave us a bit more of an insight in to real life as such rather than it just being a holiday. I seemed to spend half the time there doing the washing & ironing for everyone & am now fed up with the fact I can't hang my washing out on line as it's to flammin cold & damp here. The one thing that will take a bit of getting use to is the sun rising in the west & not in the east, my sense of direction was dreadful while we were there. I was worried about it feeling so far away from home but it really didn't feel like we were on the other side of the world. When I phoned my Mum & my older kids the phone line was actually clearer than when I ring them from here. Although I know the flights aren't cheap it is only a day away from everyone & not as horrendous as I'd expected it to be.

Helena39 thanks for the compliment, you can have my daughter at the moment if you want her, she's doing my head in. She's still struggling with jet lag & is getting up at 5am, going to bed at 7pm (usual time) but refusing to have a nap in the day & she is horrid as she is so over tired. Even I've had a nap a couple of afternoons this week, so god knows how she's keeping going.

Alison x

Thanks for the offer but no thanks :rofl: My daughter is also up for sale :rofl::rofl: We hope to be in Oz in April. House on the market from today. We are looking at North Lakes in QLD. Can't wait to go. This bloody weather has put years on me :rofl:

Helena

JAK Oct 24th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 6902995)
We got back at the weekend from 2 weeks just north of Perth. I got stopped at Perth airport for smuggling leaves :o. The lovely sniffer dog plonked himself down next to our buggy & when they had a look there were a load of old brown leaves in the basket under the buggy. It's been sat in the garage for 6 months unused so didn't even think to check if there was anything in there. Glad I didn't take my newer buggy as they'd have found acorns, etc.

We absolutely loved it & can't wait to move now which won't be for a while as hubby has just started a 2 year course & wants to get the qualifications from that as a back up before we go. Kids didn't want to come home & just loved being outdoors all the time. Beaches were gorgeous & couldn't believe how clean, tidy & well kept everywhere was & how friendly people were. Made us laugh as well that our friend flapped about missing the rush hour traffic getting out of Perth in the evening, she's obviously not experienced the M25 & M1 :rofl:

Any here's a link to some of our pics if anyone wants a look http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url & yes I know the tune has been used by someone else but thought it was a great bit of music!

Alison x

Thanks for showing that I keep needing reassurance that we are doing the right thing.

framac67 Oct 24th 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by JAK (Post 6907521)
Thanks for showing that I keep needing reassurance that we are doing the right thing.

I was watching a UK house programme and they were doing up a house to sell and I had forgot how crammed in everything is. They took you out to the garden and said "yep, we can do a lot with this":confused: They could have got about 50 of the gardens in my back yard which I do admit is a shit to mow and look after but the potential is amazing (pool, game activities etc):thumbsup: Lovely vid Alison and good luck for the future:thumbsup:

al150n Oct 25th 2008 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by helena39 (Post 6907514)
Thanks for the offer but no thanks :rofl: My daughter is also up for sale :rofl::rofl: We hope to be in Oz in April. House on the market from today. We are looking at North Lakes in QLD. Can't wait to go. This bloody weather has put years on me :rofl:

Helena

Oh well it was worth a shot, I love her to bits really & would never actually give her away but some days....:curse::ohmy::(

Good luck with selling your house. I have to say reading the problems some people have had I'm really glad we only rent & it's not something we have to worry about.

Alison x