Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Our first impressions of Oz

Our first impressions of Oz

Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our first impressions of Oz

Originally Posted by Icarus
Alison , north is always north & south is always south .. & west & east are in the same place as they are in the UK .

hope thats cleared that up ?
So I completely misread how that post was worded then Glad I hadn't completely lost the plot although I must appear really dim now I'm putting it down to a rough morning with the kids...flammin half term holidays!

Alison x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:55 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n
So I completely misread how that post was worded then Glad I hadn't completely lost the plot although I must appear really dim now I'm putting it down to a rough morning with the kids...flammin half term holidays!

Alison x
Happy holidays
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:12 pm

Ruby slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by al150n
We got back at the weekend from 2 weeks just north of Perth. I got stopped at Perth airport for smuggling leaves . The lovely sniffer dog plonked himself down next to our buggy & when they had a look there were a load of old brown leaves in the basket under the buggy. It's been sat in the garage for 6 months unused so didn't even think to check if there was anything in there. Glad I didn't take my newer buggy as they'd have found acorns, etc.

We absolutely loved it & can't wait to move now which won't be for a while as hubby has just started a 2 year course & wants to get the qualifications from that as a back up before we go. Kids didn't want to come home & just loved being outdoors all the time. Beaches were gorgeous & couldn't believe how clean, tidy & well kept everywhere was & how friendly people were. Made us laugh as well that our friend flapped about missing the rush hour traffic getting out of Perth in the evening, she's obviously not experienced the M25 & M1

Any here's a link to some of our pics if anyone wants a look http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url & yes I know the tune has been used by someone else but thought it was a great bit of music!

Alison x
Wow! al- that was great. So many smiles, except me as it made me cry.Good luck with everything!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Oh god sorry, I seem to have mad a few people snivel with my pics Thanks for all the lovely comments about them though

I've probably made a few people cry with laughter as well though whilst I try & get my head around the sun business today Why is something so simple trying my brain so much today Time to make a coffee & get settled down for my daily dose of Aussie soaps me thinks!

Alison x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tammyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Loved the photos

I've been to Perth and stayed with friends a few time. I found many similarities between the holidays I've had there and the photos you posted Fantastic!

I think I recognsed a few places in the photos. Were some of them taken at Hilarys?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tammyj
Loved the photos

I've been to Perth and stayed with friends a few time. I found many similarities between the holidays I've had there and the photos you posted Fantastic!

I think I recognsed a few places in the photos. Were some of them taken at Hilarys?
Yep we went to Hilary's several times. King's Park, Quinns & Banks beaches, Perth zoo are also in amongst the pics.

Alison x
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jancath2008
The water going down the plug does go round a different way here
No, It doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corioli...bs_and_toilets

A misconception in popular culture is that water in bathtubs or toilets always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere as a consequence of the Coriolis effect. This idea has been perpetuated by several television programs, including an episode of The Simpsons and one of The X-Files. In addition, several science broadcasts and publications (including at least one college-level physics textbook) have made this incorrect statement

In reality the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than various random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the container and the direction in which water was initially added to it.

As shown by Ascher Shapiro in a 1961 educational video (Vorticity, Part 1), this effect can indeed reveal the influence of the Coriolis force on drain direction, but only under carefully controlled laboratory conditions. In a large, circular, symmetrical container (ideally over 1m in diameter and conical), still water (whose motion is so little that over the course of a day, displacements are small compared to the size of the container) escaping through a very small hole, will drain in a cyclonic fashion: counterclockwise in the Northern hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern hemisphere—the same direction as the Earth rotates with respect to the corresponding pole.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tammyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought so

I recognised the zoo, Kings park and Hilarys. Looking at your photos was fantastic- thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll be there next year and can do the same with my photos.