Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are our English wills legal here?

Wikiposts

Are our English wills legal here?

Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are our English wills legal here?

Originally Posted by Thydney
I believe it is usually the age of majority. Again you should take legal advice on this in Australia
Does that qualify as a "lovely 'I'm talking shite' legalise cover my base bit."?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Flippin' 'eck, a simple yes or no would do!!!!

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Talked to OH and we'll go to a solicitor over here and re-do our UK will to be on the safe side.

It's a worry about the kids bit though isn't it? Who would look after your kids, seriously, somebody you really really trusted enough to raise them and love them. I dunno who we'd get to act as legal guardians for them here. I mean, who in all honesty, would want to raise somebody elses two kids?

Just hope we don't snuff it in the near future.

Last edited by TraceyW; Nov 28th 2007 at 8:30 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:15 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Does that qualify as a "lovely 'I'm talking shite' legalise cover my base bit."?
Yes of course it does
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:53 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys!

The thread is dead!

We all gave our "best" advice.

The OP will go see a solicitor as she says and make sure her children are looked after.

Thank You Thydney for your expert advice. Totally agree with you on all points. Most especially the tip to quote the existence in latest wills that identical wills have been prepared in different jurisdictions. Good advice.

As for you augigi, please let us all know where your information came from, i.e., was it from "my father is a solicitor and a barrister" or "the solicitor" you asked?

I have seen people post differing opinions on different threads, but not three different opinions on the same "short" thread.

I gave my opinion because after taking legal advice in Australia, where we now live, I thought it a valid response to the question the OP was asking. I believe that Thydney was giving valid advice because it would appear that the drawing up of wills is something he is qualified to do. Is this what you do for a living?

If not, do you have a will? Is it valid in the jurisdiction where you reside? Do you have children who need to be provided for? Maybe you should look after your own before unintentionally misguiding others.

All the best,

Maggie

P.S. The OP was originally trying to protect her childrens' best interests as most parents would have done, in fact, as we have done. Please don't give misleading advice.

Last edited by MaggieM; Nov 29th 2007 at 12:56 am. Reason: P.S.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:30 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggieM
Hey Guys!

The thread is dead!

The OP will go see a solicitor as she says and make sure her children are looked after.

Thank You Thydney for your expert advice. Totally agree with you on all points. Most especially the tip to quote the existence in latest wills that identical wills have been prepared in different jurisdictions. Good advice.

As for you augigi, please let us all know where your information came from, i.e., was it from "my father is a solicitor and a barrister" or "the solicitor" you asked?

I have seen people post differing opinions on different threads, but not three different opinions on the same "short" thread.

I gave my opinion because after taking legal advice in Australia, where we now live, I thought it a valid response to the question the OP was asking. I believe that Thydney was giving valid advice because it would appear that the drawing up of wills is something he is qualified to do. Is this what you do for a living?

If not, do you have a will? Is it valid in the jurisdiction where you reside? Do you have children who need to be provided for? Maybe you should look after your own before unintentionally misguiding others.

All the best,

Maggie

P.S. The OP was originally trying to protect her childrens' best interests as most parents would have done, in fact, as we have done. Please don't give misleading advice.
I don't know if they print it in Australia but the Which book on Wills and Probate is an excellent easy to understand reference book
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

WA wills act 1970 (of which I understand nothing that is written )

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/w..._act/wa197091/
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Maggie, I am just as free to post whatever I like here are you are. Oh, you sought legal advice. So did I - as far as the "solicitor" or "my father who is a solicitor and barrister", it was the same person - DUH! How is this hard to understand??

I first gave my opinion (and clearly said "I imagine" to denote this), then I looked up the relevant wills act (for one state, so I only gave an opinion for that state, as I don't like to give advice I'm not sure about without saying so!), then checked with a solicitor (my father) to be sure.

The advice was always the SAME, as I have said before - twice now. You apparently are a little hard of understanding.

However, as far as I can tell, I'm just as qualified as you are to give advice on this topic. Would I prefer the advice of someone who lives with a solicitor or visited one once.. gee let me think.

How do you know what "Thydney" or anyone else online is qualified to do? LOL As to whether I have a will or children, it's certainly neither any of your business, nor germane to this discussion.

If you imagine the OP would listen to someone online as to the fate of her children, then either you're a fool, or you imagine she is.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:35 am
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by MaggieM
Hey Guys!

The thread is dead!

All the best,

Maggie

Easy Margaret I'm not offering professional legal advice I offer it from the stand point of an amateur. Remeber you get what you pay for