Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Other people's screaming children

Other people's screaming children

Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other people's screaming children

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not pot kettle black at all. Flights aren't advertised as adults only. Children do not understand adult rules - what you are suggesting is effectively locking up a child that is unable to settle in a strange enviroment for what ever reason (stick it in the toilet!) If flying with children bothers you perhaps you could suggest to the airline companies that they arrange child friendly flights and alternative adult only and see what response you get. Parents will usually be trying their hardest to alleviate their child's problems, they aren't deliberately trying to ruin your flight. You know children will likely be on your flight - effective ear plugs cost around £2 - or use headphones. People being in such close proximity to each other are likely to cause issues for all involved - people trying to move around, turning lights on and off, seats up and down, etc. not just children, but other adults at least understand what is going on.
I think I've been quite objective on this topic. I understand children get upset, I understand flights are for everyone, and I understand that living in confined quarters for 22 hours is a challenge.

But what you fail to understand is that they are your children and no one else's so you have the responsibility as a human being to ensure that you are taking the most extraordinary lengths to ensure your child is not disrupting 30 other people.

You chose to bring the child into the world so if your child insists on hours of disruption you can either hand out the ear plugs to those in the vicinity or share the pain, take the child for a walk, sit in the bathroom, sit at the galley at the back of the A380.

I don't think anyone expects a child to behave perfectly on a long haul flight so lets not focus on the child (children will be distruptive) but when parents have no concern for their fellow travellers, and sit in their seats, ignoring the issue or showing no attempt to resolve the situation then that's just pure selfishness which appears is where you are.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:24 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I was going to reply explaining how selfish you are, but it's not worth it. The world revolves around you, and we just need to accept that.
I'm not sure why you feel I deserve that comment. I've always brought my children up to be respectful of others, and would go out of my way to try and ensure that they do not disturb others unnecessarily.

But if you are flying with children, it is not always easy. NoI wouldn't let them run up and down the aisles, nor kick the seats of those infront. We have walked out of the cinema and other confined spaces because one of them was misbehaving more than once, but that isn't possible on a plane and I certainly wouldn't lock one of them in the toilet. If they are bored, I'd try and entertain them and always travelled prepared; if its hunger feed them, etc. But there are times, when they are over tired, or not feeling well when there is very little that you can do other than try and console them, and try and encourage sleep. If that means that they are crying for a while, so be it. I'm not talking about older children, I was talking about toddlers, which as we all know is the hardest age to deal with. What would you be wanting a parent of an upset toddler to do?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:31 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think I've been quite objective on this topic. I understand children get upset, I understand flights are for everyone, and I understand that living in confined quarters for 22 hours is a challenge.

But what you fail to understand is that they are your children and no one else's so you have the responsibility as a human being to ensure that you are taking the most extraordinary lengths to ensure your child is not disrupting 30 other people.

You chose to bring the child into the world so if your child insists on hours of disruption you can either hand out the ear plugs to those in the vicinity or share the pain, take the child for a walk, sit in the bathroom, sit at the galley at the back of the A380.

I don't think anyone expects a child to behave perfectly on a long haul flight so lets not focus on the child (children will be distruptive) but when parents have no concern for their fellow travellers, and sit in their seats, ignoring the issue or showing no attempt to resolve the situation then that's just pure selfishness which appears is where you are.
I'm sorry - I never said I would ignore the issue - I said I wouldn't hide in the toilet with them. I do often have earplugs with me that I would share, and I would be trying to ensure that my children didn't upset anyone, but sometimes regardless of every effort you make, children cry.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

But if you are flying with children, it is not always easy. NoI wouldn't let them run up and down the aisles, nor kick the seats of those infront. We have walked out of the cinema and other confined spaces because one of them was misbehaving more than once, but that isn't possible on a plane and I certainly wouldn't lock one of them in the toilet. If they are bored, I'd try and entertain them and always travelled prepared; if its hunger feed them, etc. But there are times, when they are over tired, or not feeling well when there is very little that you can do other than try and console them, and try and encourage sleep. If that means that they are crying for a while, so be it. I'm not talking about older children, I was talking about toddlers, which as we all know is the hardest age to deal with. What would you be wanting a parent of an upset toddler to do?
Exactly. And there is an age when they neurologically don't have the capacity to understand there are consequences to their actions.
Really it's as if some people think parents enjoy their children being upset and disturbing others. Sometimes however you can't placate them no matter what you do. And you feel awful.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly wouldn't lock one of them in the toilet
Now there's a good idea

I'm not sure why you feel I deserve that comment. I've always brought my children up to be respectful of others, and would go out of my way to try and ensure that they do not disturb others unnecessarily.

Fair enough .... I don't think anyone expects perfection, but where a parent can intervene it's expected. I have experienced, like the poster earlier on today, a long haul flight where the parents did not give a flying hoot for anyone else and from what you'd previously written it was starting to sound like you didn't either. All good
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I always liked the idea of storing toddlers in the overhead lockers...........

JOKE

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

And what would you have done if she didn't Drug her? Gag her? Get off the plane? Toddlers are toddlers, they are not mini adults and don't always to confirm to what adults would like.
it's down to the family environment, how they function or not function in normal life. Yelling parents create yelling children. I do not believe any baby is born to scream until they start school.

I know parents, who are calm in themselves so are the children. I know families, where there is zero control by the parents. The children have no clue of their boundaries, some parents are too busy with themselves (career or active social life).
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I would apologise to you that my child woke yours and ask if there was anything I could do to help. The hopefully have a chat about it being a vicious circle when yours woke mine. No I wouldn't be happy - as it seems would you - but it is what it is, and no point stressing over it. At the end of the day it's 10 or 12 hours that you are confined anyway, so make the best of it. No one sets out to have their child disturb anyone, but at the end of the day, they do what they want to some extent.
make the best out of it? how? it's not only a 12 hours flight, it's 2 flights to get to EU, waiting at the beginning, at the middle and at the end. There is nothing much enjoyable about a flight as such, screaming bambinos just make the whole experience at lot worse. Plus I pay 2k for the fun. Nice. I always try to avoid flights around the Christmas holidays when more toddlers are flown around the globe.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has just phoned from the UK - she has just got home from visiting us here and said the flights were fine except for one major problem - multiple screaming kids the whole way. Non stop screaming from Singapore to London and she said two in particular, toddlers whose young parents allowed them to crawl around the aisles and under peoples feet and over seats despite the cabin crew reapeatedly telling the parents that they must keep them under control. Can't gag the screaming but they (parents) could have restrained them.

Mum said almost everybody had had enough and were getting very irritable, but what can you do in that environment.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kitty4
My mum has just phoned from the UK - she has just got home from visiting us here and said the flights were fine except for one major problem - multiple screaming kids the whole way. Non stop screaming from Singapore to London and she said two in particular, toddlers whose young parents allowed them to crawl around the aisles and under peoples feet and over seats despite the cabin crew reapeatedly telling the parents that they must keep them under control. Can't gag the screaming but they (parents) could have restrained them.

Mum said almost everybody had had enough and were getting very irritable, but what can you do in that environment?
I think you answered your own question

Can't gag the screaming but they (parents) could have restrained them.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beoz

Good post, my thoughts exactly
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Exactly. And there is an age when they neurologically don't have the capacity to understand there are consequences to their actions.
Really it's as if some people think parents enjoy their children being upset and disturbing others. Sometimes however you can't placate them no matter what you do. And you feel awful.
Strange how years ago, a slap on my arse taught me, none of my siblings would have played up either and I consider my childhood just perfect.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

How about "toddler flights" from OZ to EU once a week, maybe a playground in the middle of the plane, puppet show? wouldn't that be great?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Strange how years ago, a slap on my arse taught me, none of my siblings would have played up either and I consider my childhood just perfect.
Do you remember how you behaved at say 6 months old then? At that kind of age a slap would just be cruel and confusing to a child who cannot comprehend what the punishment is for.
Maybe at a later age that could be a (last) resort for kids who are out of control, but it would generally just cause more disruption at the age i'm talking about.
Glad your world was so idyllic and you were all little angels though...
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 11:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Exactly. And when my 4 month old started screaming during take off and landings I always found a good shake snapped them right out of it. They describe their childhoods as pretty perfect too.