British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Optus or Telstra..? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/optus-telstra-443551/)

sue&bob Apr 20th 2007 4:54 am

Optus or Telstra..?

Hi,
Ive been with Optus for 3 years,not had any problems until i had a letter regarding the home phone,I pay a average of $40 a month ,but ive just been informed the lowest plan will cost me $55 a month !! I rang to say i didn't want this plan ,but i was told "well if its not suitable,then maybe you should look for another provider"......bloody cheek !!:curse:
Im looking into changing but it seems to get a good deal elsewhere I need to change my internet,mobiles,and fox,all to the same company.
At the moment i pay
foxtel =$75
Home phone =$40
Internet (400mb) =$40 (but goes slow once reached limit)
2x Mobiles business plan ($35each)=$70

Any ideas anyone...is it worth changing everything?

sue:unsure:

ohippy Apr 20th 2007 6:21 am

Re: Optus or Telstra..?

I would, if customers don't take action by walking then the big companies will keep on doing it. They make their bucks from people who can't be bothered to change.

DrWho Apr 20th 2007 7:26 am

Originally Posted by sue&bob (Post 4670892)
Hi,
Ive been with Optus for 3 years,not had any problems until i had a letter regarding the home phone,I pay a average of $40 a month ,but ive just been informed the lowest plan will cost me $55 a month !! I rang to say i didn't want this plan ,but i was told "well if its not suitable,then maybe you should look for another provider"......bloody cheek !!:curse:
Im looking into changing but it seems to get a good deal elsewhere I need to change my internet,mobiles,and fox,all to the same company.
At the moment i pay
foxtel =$75
Home phone =$40

Sure, change the lot why not... :)

Have a look on Whirlpool for the best deals for combining your home phone and broadband...

Foxtel we do direct - not sure if there's a way to get a deal with someone else...:unsure:

For mobiles 3 seems to offer a very good deal but I'm not sure what the coverage is like over your way... check out their website to find out... They offer a low price package, with free 20 minute calls between 3 mobiles 24/7 and on their new X series tariff you can get 500MB data at Next G speeds, plus 1000 minutes of Skype calls for just $20 per month... bargain...! That's more data than you're getting on the landline for half the price... :)

Wendy Apr 20th 2007 7:40 am

Hi,
At the moment i pay
foxtel =$75
Home phone =$40

I'd shop around for all of them and see which is the best deal, whether that's all with the same provider or with different ones.

I'm a bit gobsmacked that you only get 400mb on your internet for $40 from optus. I've just arranged mine through them and get 2GB per month for that

MrsDagboy Apr 20th 2007 8:01 am

I think I would shoot myself if I were ever forced to deal with Optus (affectionately :eek: known as 'Opeless in our household ) again. Do a search & you'll find my previous posts :lol: .

We have home phone, 1 mobile & foxtel through Telstra & because they are all on one bill our home phone is $30/month with 200 local calls for free & mobile is $3o/month plan & free call to another telstra number (which for me is Dagboys telstra mobile which is paid for through his work. So our total bill each month comes to around $160, most of which is our Foxtel subscription (we have satellite (cos we're not in a cable area), extra channels & an extra foxtel box which all comes to just under $100/month).

Cant help with internet as ours is organised through Dagboy's work, except to say that once again I wouldnt touch Optus with a 30 foot barge pole (just wait til you try to disconnect your services with them, hope you have better luck than we did :lol: ) & to try whirlpool as someone else has already suggested.

Good luck!

sue&bob Apr 20th 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4671251)
I'd shop around for all of them and see which is the best deal, whether that's all with the same provider or with different ones.

I'm a bit gobsmacked that you only get 400mb on your internet for $40 from optus. I've just arranged mine through them and get 2GB per month for that

Hi,
Yeah i asked why im only getting 400mb,they said it was a old plan and they are doing 2gb for the same price but it was up to the customer to keep checking for changes!!!:mad: I have also found out i haven't been getting a discount because some things are in my name and some in hubbys,,
So today i went to the optus shop and hopefully they have put it all under 1 name....BUT they will probably cock that up!!
Think i will definitely change,its just deciding who to go with.

sue

JackTheLad Apr 20th 2007 11:36 am

Hi,
At the moment i pay
foxtel =$75
Home phone =$40

I pity you when you try to change from Optus. When we moved house, (we kept the old house to rent out), we got Optus in the new house as well.

First of all they had lied that they could supply broadband in the new house, they couldn't. Then they didn't shut down our Optus phone line in the old house, so our new tenants couldn't arrange for their phone line.

THEN... and this is no exaggeration, they spent the next six months accidentally charging the tenants phone calls to our new house, or charging us line rental for the house we were renting out. Monthly I'd call them up and explain the situation. Monthly they would apologise, say they would fix it, and then repeat the screw up the next month.

Finally I got a cheque mailed to me to pay for the mistakes they'd made on my bill. Then I got a bill asking me to pay for the cheque they'd sent me. This is no joke... I rang their customer support 3 times, once I was told to do nothing, just don't cash the cheque, the second time I was told to cash the cheque and pay the bill, third time I was told to cash the cheque and forget the bill.

I chose to send the cheque back to them. Now this next bit is really no joke, they then sent me a bill for late payment of the previous bill, which was the bill for the previous cheque they had sent me.

You can imagine by this stage I was mad :curse: So I sent them a big long letter explaining the situation and saying I wanted it dealt with by management as it was getting ridiculous. A couple of weeks later, we got a letter saying it had been all sorted. I think in all the confusion we did lose out about $100 somewhere. They did owe us money, and it was around $100, but I'd lost the will to fight by that stage, so...

Anyway, a couple of weeks later we transferred everything (phone, broadband, cable tv) to Telstra. Mrs Dagboy has explained the benefits of the single billing stuff quite well above.

Good luck:eek: :blink:

JTL

sue&bob Apr 20th 2007 12:43 pm

Jack ,,you really did go through it,,
How do they manage to keep customers when they treat them like shite!! There should be a law against it..............

Im considering Telstra,but the only difference ive noticed is the internet ,if you go over your limit they can bill for the extra.
The home phone would work out about $10 cheaper a month though.
Im probably going to stay with optus for the mobiles as its too much to get out of the contract.

cheers for the warning Jack the Lad
sue

JackTheLad Apr 20th 2007 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by sue&bob (Post 4672384)
Jack ,,you really did go through it,,
How do they manage to keep customers when they treat them like shite!! There should be a law against it..............

Im considering Telstra,but the only difference ive noticed is the internet ,if you go over your limit they can bill for the extra.
The home phone would work out about $10 cheaper a month though.
Im probably going to stay with optus for the mobiles as its too much to get out of the contract.

cheers for the warning Jack the Lad
sue

Telstra have a plan called 'Liberty' which gives you 12Gb of downloads a month. If you exceed that then your usage is 'shaped', i.e. becomes dial up speed, but you don't get charged extra. It costs $59.95 month if you have telstra phones too. I'm a geek and download loads of programs and stuff each month, but have never exceeded 12 Gb.

I use that normally, just for current circumstances I'm on their 60Gb download plan, cos we've got overseas guests. Changing plan is dead easy on the bigpond site.

JTL

JTL

MrsDagboy Apr 20th 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 4672164)
I pity you when you try to change from Optus. When we moved house, (we kept the old house to rent out), we got Optus in the new house as well.

First of all they had lied that they could supply broadband in the new house, they couldn't. Then they didn't shut down our Optus phone line in the old house, so our new tenants couldn't arrange for their phone line.

THEN... and this is no exaggeration, they spent the next six months accidentally charging the tenants phone calls to our new house, or charging us line rental for the house we were renting out. Monthly I'd call them up and explain the situation. Monthly they would apologise, say they would fix it, and then repeat the screw up the next month.

Finally I got a cheque mailed to me to pay for the mistakes they'd made on my bill. Then I got a bill asking me to pay for the cheque they'd sent me. This is no joke... I rang their customer support 3 times, once I was told to do nothing, just don't cash the cheque, the second time I was told to cash the cheque and pay the bill, third time I was told to cash the cheque and forget the bill.

I chose to send the cheque back to them. Now this next bit is really no joke, they then sent me a bill for late payment of the previous bill, which was the bill for the previous cheque they had sent me.

You can imagine by this stage I was mad :curse: So I sent them a big long letter explaining the situation and saying I wanted it dealt with by management as it was getting ridiculous. A couple of weeks later, we got a letter saying it had been all sorted. I think in all the confusion we did lose out about $100 somewhere. They did owe us money, and it was around $100, but I'd lost the will to fight by that stage, so...

Anyway, a couple of weeks later we transferred everything (phone, broadband, cable tv) to Telstra. Mrs Dagboy has explained the benefits of the single billing stuff quite well above.

Good luck:eek: :blink:

JTL

Im glad we arent the only ones who have had the same sort of trouble with Opeless - I dont feel so lonely now :thumbup: .

Their customer service & competency are a total joke - they couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery! (& trust me, Im being NICE!!!!! :rolleyes: :curse: )

moneypenny20 Apr 20th 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy (Post 4672425)
Their customer service & competency are a total joke - they couldnt organise a pissup in a brewery! (& trust me, Im being NICE!!!!! :rolleyes: :curse: )

Blimey hon, you sick or somat :confused: :rofl: Good to see you posting again for however long it lasts:thumbsup:

MrsDagboy Apr 21st 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4672438)
Blimey hon, you sick or somat :confused: :rofl: Good to see you posting again for however long it lasts:thumbsup:

:lol: Im always nice - whatever do you mean? :sneaky: :angel_smile:

Hels Bells Apr 21st 2007 8:36 am

I work for Telstra now...and do all the connections, moves, plans and stuff for home phone and broadband...

So if anyone wants any advice or wants me to connect them...lemme know...I can make sure ya get all the freebies you should get etc....

Happy also if you just want info so you can compare...

DrWho Apr 21st 2007 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hels Bells (Post 4676357)
I work for Telstra now...and do all the connections, moves, plans and stuff for home phone and broadband...

So if anyone wants any advice or wants me to connect them...lemme know...I can make sure ya get all the freebies you should get etc....

Happy also if you just want info so you can compare...

Cool... :D