Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:14 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Optus 3G down in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by fish.01
I went to telstra 49 per month including calls, data and the cost of purchasing the iPhone 4...was too good to say no. Never any network issues and high speed. Does this help you at all?
Actually it does a bit

I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I'll take the offer from Optus to pay for half my service until Dec when my contract runs out Then take my phone (paid off by then) and move my network to Telstra
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Actually it does a bit

I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I'll take the offer from Optus to pay for half my service until Dec when my contract runs out Then take my phone (paid off by then) and move my network to Telstra
I think the telstra contract deal has gone up slightly since then. A lot of people on whirlpool seem quite happy with telstra prepaid last time I looked.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I went to telstra last year 49 per month including calls, data and the cost of purchasing the iPhone 4...was too good to say no (was an upfront approx $149 fee as well). Never any network issues and high speed. Does this help you at all?
Doesn't include international SMS though I bet? Those meanies at Telstra are the only ones that don't.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:23 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I think the telstra contract deal has gone up slightly since then. A lot of people on whirlpool seem quite happy with telstra prepaid last time I looked.
yeh I've had them before (works phones) and their service deals knock spots off anything Optus has got to offer...

Re Whirlpool: good site
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Doesn't include international SMS though I bet? Those meanies at Telstra are the only ones that don't.
My wife's facebook account is my international sms so I'll take your word for it. can see it being important for a lot on here though...
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:00 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Bloody stupid 3G network down again. Didn't realise until a call I was expecting didn't come through:curse:

check out your moby it seems it might be a problem http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1635630

Anyone else having probs?
Optus are supremely shite as a mobile phone network operator. I've had (and still have) nothing but trouble using them (via Virgin mobile).

I'm off to Telstra this year, when my contract runs out because I've heard they provide the best data/phone network.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Optus are supremely shite as a mobile phone network operator. I've had (and still have) nothing but trouble using them (via Virgin mobile).

I'm off to Telstra this year, when my contract runs out because I've heard they provide the best data/phone network.
I agree. I rang them today to ask further about taking them up on the $30 a month reduction in fee they offered. They offered a reduction because THEY can't provide ME with a service and it's got progresivly worse. I asked them if I accept the fee reduction due to shite service, would the service get worse?

They couldn't tell me

I get the feeling if I accept the $30 per month reduction the service will get worse so it's on hold at the mo.

BC world: What happened when they reduced your plan for the same thing? Did it get worse after you took the reduction?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

No, it has improved dramatically.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by bcworld
No, it has improved dramatically.
really? great cheers mate. In that case I'll take them up on it.

Crazy when you think about it.

You buy a service from Optus and it doesn't work. They knew it wouldn't work when they sold the service as its a low network area. They then offer to reduce the cost of the service as the service don't work

And we should feel happy with this shite service
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:46 am

Update on (DON'T) Optus

I decided not to take them up on their crap options which in effect would not alter the lousy service anyway

I wrote to them outlining their woeful options, all of which basically allowed them to continue to provide an ongoing lousy service albeit at a lesser fee, to make them feel better and excuse their poor service

My email outlined MY preferred option which was to keep the phone since I'd paid over a grand for it anyway, and them (Optus) to rip up the remaining contract as they can't offer a service anyway

I then informed them I could take this to the Ombudsman if they preferred that option

Their website said they would reply within 14 days. They rang the following day and agreed to give me the phone and rip up the contract.

Today I went to Telstra; For the same monthly amount I got a new Iphone 4 and the same package AND my phone doesn't drop out of calls AND it takes voicemail Messages!

RESULT